Something is up with your timing.

Comment

• bigxrdoug
      • May 2011

Its a dyna you can't adjust the ign.

Comment

• Doon317
        • Jun 2013

I'm thinking it's the Ignition module. My buddy has a 2001 Dyna Wide Glide. I think the modules are the same so I'm going to plug it into his and see what happens. Hopefully this will fix it all. This started as an intermittent problem so it's been a tough solve on top of the fact that this is my first bike. I'm learning as I go so and I really appreciate all the feedback y'all are giving me.

Comment

• taurus4life
          • Apr 2014

ive had intake leaks before and this is exactly what they sound like. so im gonna go with a leak somewhere.

Comment

• Doon317
            • Jun 2013

And I think I've fixed the bike. Again. There was something going on with the ignition. I replaced the CKP but I accidentally left out a locking wedge in the 2 point Deutsch connector. That made a huge difference as I went from intermittent an spark to no spark at either plug. I figured I had a short somewhere so I just backtracked until I found out what was going on. Once I got that sorted out the bike fired right up. It's been raining all day so I haven't been able to ride it but I'll definitely be on it tomorrow.

As far as vacuum leaks, when I rebuilt the carb for the 24th time and added new intake manifold gaskets I tested for leaks. I replaced all the gaskets on the carb and with the bike idling I didn't find places where the RPM's increased so I'm thinking the carb is buttoned up pretty good right now. It is probably jetted rich as is but whoever had the bike before had an even bigger jet combination in there to begin with. I'm guessing they were compensating for the straight pipes. I've since unbaffled them but I'll still tune the air mixture screw etc when I next get time.

The bike was running super solid a week ago after I had rebuilt the carb. Again, I thought it was all carb issues but after I replaced the front plug wire the bike ran like a champ.
            I'm thinking that with an intermittent spark in the front cylinder, when it got flooded from trying to start it that is where the backfiring was coming from.

I've replaced the CKP sensor and the ignition coil. I tested the ignition module on a friends bike so I know it's good. Hopefully, it was one of the first two and now that I've fixed my wiring mistake we'll see if everything is in order...

Comment

• Clockwork444
              • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Doon317
              And I think I've fixed the bike. Again. There was something going on with the ignition. I replaced the CKP but I accidentally left out a locking wedge in the 2 point Deutsch connector. That made a huge difference as I went from intermittent an spark to no spark at either plug. I figured I had a short somewhere so I just backtracked until I found out what was going on. Once I got that sorted out the bike fired right up. It's been raining all day so I haven't been able to ride it but I'll definitely be on it tomorrow.

As far as vacuum leaks, when I rebuilt the carb for the 24th time and added new intake manifold gaskets I tested for leaks. I replaced all the gaskets on the carb and with the bike idling I didn't find places where the RPM's increased so I'm thinking the carb is buttoned up pretty good right now. It is probably jetted rich as is but whoever had the bike before had an even bigger jet combination in there to begin with. I'm guessing they were compensating for the straight pipes. I've since unbaffled them but I'll still tune the air mixture screw etc when I next get time.

The bike was running super solid a week ago after I had rebuilt the carb. Again, I thought it was all carb issues but after I replaced the front plug wire the bike ran like a champ.
              I'm thinking that with an intermittent spark in the front cylinder, when it got flooded from trying to start it that is where the backfiring was coming from.

I've replaced the CKP sensor and the ignition coil. I tested the ignition module on a friends bike so I know it's good. Hopefully, it was one of the first two and now that I've fixed my wiring mistake we'll see if everything is in order...
              does it die when it gets hot? sounds like a bad coil to me

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;