Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mattantal
    • Apr 2024

Best ignition system for kick only shovel

Searched around a bit and I guess I'm gonna go with dyna s ignition system, single or dual fire? Can I run this with a little battery? If not what ignition do you guys recommend? Want to have it kick easy, be reliable, and use a little battery. Only running headlight and brake light
  • TheSandman
    • Apr 2011

Points.

Comment

• RetroRob
      • Oct 2011

I had a Mallory dist. On my pan. Worry free

Comment

• Misfitcj
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by TheSandman
        Points.
        I put those secondary to the dyna s ...... and keep a spare dyna s or points in your bag

Comment

• SyndicateChoppers
          • Sep 2011

I would never run one of those things again, Ive had a few bikes come in to me with them on and theyre beyond unreliable.

nothing wrong with points or a dyna S ignition. Those would be my first 2 choices, if your not going with a magneto.

And yes you can run a small battery with them if they are for kick only.

Comment

• Flatheadsoup
            • Feb 2011

I've been running a M-5 Morris mag on mine for years. Kick only no battery.

Comment

• RIPshitRIOT
              • Sep 2009

My Dad was running some high-dollar electronic ignition on his kick-only 109" Shovel. He switched to points.

Comment

• misfitJason
                • Sep 2009

Dyna s. Do it and you won't regret it

Comment

• Incrediblah
                  • Aug 2010

Running the Dyna S single fire on my shovel. Kick only with a small 6 cell lithium battery, works great.

Comment

• GermanG
                    • Apr 2013

I would never use a Dyna S in my bikes!!, because it still uses the advance weight assembly, which does need regular service and wears out quickly. An electronic ignition should be absolutly service free! Having no points to set, but still have to service, lubricate the advance mechanicsm does not make sence to me. Most electronic ignition have a kicker switch. I would buy a crane HI 4N in a kit with coil and plug wires. Make sure your ignition switch works correctly, most electronic ignitions are disturbed by faulty ignition switches causing voltage peaks.

Comment

• andri
                      • Mar 2012

Dyna S gets my vote as well.

I would only swap it out for a Morris M5 magneto

Mine is kick only and running the smallest battery I found.

Comment

• Incrediblah
                        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by GermanG
                        I would never use a Dyna S in my bikes!!, because it still uses the advance weight assembly, which does need regular service and wears out quickly. An electronic ignition should be absolutly service free! Having no points to set, but still have to service, lubricate the advance mechanicsm does not make sence to me. Most electronic ignition have a kicker switch. I would buy a crane HI 4N in a kit with coil and plug wires. Make sure your ignition switch works correctly, most electronic ignitions are disturbed by faulty ignition switches causing voltage peaks.
                        There's no such thing as "service free" on a shovel to begin with. Use a quality advance unit like the Rivera one, and you won't have to touch it often enough to complain about maintenance. In researching the Dyna S, I've found maybe 2 people who had any issues with it vs a bunch of unsatisfied crane users. Just my 2 cents.
                        Last edited by Incrediblah; 03-21-2014, 5:46 PM.

Comment

• mattantal
                          • Apr 2024

I was considering the Morris m5 but I heard it was a bitch to get the bike started with a mag...but it was an old dood, and I guess mags have came a long way...but $1700 for an ignition system hurts. Especially when I got the whole bike for 1700 haha

Comment

• mattantal
                            • Apr 2024

How bout this battery? Had it laying around
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Guest; 03-21-2014, 7:42 PM.

Comment

• Sky
                              • Aug 2009

Dyna S dual or single fire is a very good and simple points replacement ignition. You can adjust the advance rate easily by swapping springs (stiffer or lighter). Or more drastically by lighting the weights. Still have to lube the advance assembly periodically.
                              The single fire helps smooth out the idle of Harley's uneven wasted spark firing order. And the single fire lessens the chance of kickback while kick starting. There is a Daytona Twin Tec version (VT-I) that adds a rev limiter but is dual fire only. The rev limiter is a really good thing for habitual over revers, like Evo sportster riders or those who previously rode high revving sport bikes.
                              The Dyna S has built a well deserved reputation for reliability, the Twin Tec VT-I is still new on the market. Both operate at low voltage just like points.
                              As far as a small batt goes

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;