CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
    mattantal

Default Best ignition system for kick only shovel

Searched around a bit and I guess I'm gonna go with dyna s ignition system, single or dual fire? Can I run this with a little battery? If not what ignition do you guys recommend? Want to have it kick easy, be reliable, and use a little battery. Only running headlight and brake light

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Points.

Get Adobe Flash player

I had a Mallory dist. On my pan. Worry free

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TheSandman View Post
    Points.
    I put those secondary to the dyna s ...... and keep a spare dyna s or points in your bag

Get Adobe Flash player

I would never run one of those things again, Ive had a few bikes come in to me with them on and theyre beyond unreliable.

nothing wrong with points or a dyna S ignition. Those would be my first 2 choices, if your not going with a magneto.

And yes you can run a small battery with them if they are for kick only.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've been running a M-5 Morris mag on mine for years. Kick only no battery.

Get Adobe Flash player

My Dad was running some high-dollar electronic ignition on his kick-only 109" Shovel. He switched to points.

Get Adobe Flash player

Dyna s. Do it and you won't regret it

Get Adobe Flash player

Running the Dyna S single fire on my shovel. Kick only with a small 6 cell lithium battery, works great.

Get Adobe Flash player

I would never use a Dyna S in my bikes!!, because it still uses the advance weight assembly, which does need regular service and wears out quickly. An electronic ignition should be absolutly service free! Having no points to set, but still have to service, lubricate the advance mechanicsm does not make sence to me. Most electronic ignition have a kicker switch. I would buy a crane HI 4N in a kit with coil and plug wires. Make sure your ignition switch works correctly, most electronic ignitions are disturbed by faulty ignition switches causing voltage peaks.

Get Adobe Flash player

Dyna S gets my vote as well.

I would only swap it out for a Morris M5 magneto

Mine is kick only and running the smallest battery I found.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by GermanG View Post
    I would never use a Dyna S in my bikes!!, because it still uses the advance weight assembly, which does need regular service and wears out quickly. An electronic ignition should be absolutly service free! Having no points to set, but still have to service, lubricate the advance mechanicsm does not make sence to me. Most electronic ignition have a kicker switch. I would buy a crane HI 4N in a kit with coil and plug wires. Make sure your ignition switch works correctly, most electronic ignitions are disturbed by faulty ignition switches causing voltage peaks.
    There's no such thing as "service free" on a shovel to begin with. Use a quality advance unit like the Rivera one, and you won't have to touch it often enough to complain about maintenance. In researching the Dyna S, I've found maybe 2 people who had any issues with it vs a bunch of unsatisfied crane users. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Incrediblah; 03-21-2014 at 5:46 PM.

mattantal

I was considering the Morris m5 but I heard it was a bitch to get the bike started with a mag...but it was an old dood, and I guess mags have came a long way...but $1700 for an ignition system hurts. Especially when I got the whole bike for 1700 haha

mattantal

How bout this battery? Had it laying around
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by mattantal; 03-21-2014 at 7:42 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Dyna S dual or single fire is a very good and simple points replacement ignition. You can adjust the advance rate easily by swapping springs (stiffer or lighter). Or more drastically by lighting the weights. Still have to lube the advance assembly periodically.
    The single fire helps smooth out the idle of Harley's uneven wasted spark firing order. And the single fire lessens the chance of kickback while kick starting. There is a Daytona Twin Tec version (VT-I) that adds a rev limiter but is dual fire only. The rev limiter is a really good thing for habitual over revers, like Evo sportster riders or those who previously rode high revving sport bikes.
    The Dyna S has built a well deserved reputation for reliability, the Twin Tec VT-I is still new on the market. Both operate at low voltage just like points.
    As far as a small batt goes

Get Adobe Flash player

First of all cone or Genny?
    If Generator, an electronic Regulator with a good ground is the way to go.
    If Alternator, a 17amp sealed coil stator, a shielded magnet rotor, and a quality well grounded regulator/rectifier with good ground and good airflow, are the smart setup.
    A group 4 or 5 sealed lead acid batt is as small as the harley style regulators want to "see", Lithiums are sensitive to volt/amp spikes and don't like mechanical regulators at all.
    Whatever you decide, make your batt tray big enough to accept the group 4L at least, so when you need one out on the road, you can readily find one at an auto parts or dept store.

mattantal

It's a cone, thanks for the good info everyone

Get Adobe Flash player

Why do you suggest a bigger battery for a kick bike? Because when his charging system craps out he'll have a stronger battery to rely on?

The way I see it, unless he has some type of charging warning light. He's not gonna know when it shits out on him until the battery's drained.

As for EI, these dudes are right, dyna s is a good system but it runs off mechanical weights, so you still have maintenance. Go for broke and get the 2000, fully electronic, no weights, just an expensive module in your cone.

Get Adobe Flash player

Dyna S !!!!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Group 4-5 are pretty small and can overcharge easy when/if the reg fails to regulate.
    A bigger batt has more "cush" to absorb voltage/Amperage spikes and can handle steady overages for longer.
    Remember these charging systems were designed to charge the equivalent of a group 14 or larger batt.
    That's why you need to make sure the regulator can do it's job by having a good ground and good airflow to help dissipate heat.

I run the Daytona Twin Tec 2000i< a 17 amp alt and a group four batt, Kick only. BTW
    Found out the hard way (when my headlight fell off) that without the draw of that H4 bulb my poor little batt was being cooked to the tune of 16 volts @ 2000rpm.Rode half a day like that till it got dark and had the fix the H-L mount. Luckily I was close enough to an auto parts to get there before they closed and exchange my dead batt for new.

Share This