Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QPACOLIPSE10
    • Jan 2011

77 xl magneto questions

I'm lookin to ditch the battery on my 77, and replace it with a magneto.
    I haven't had any experiences with magnetos, but I'm thinking I'd rather pay the money up front on a magneto, than have to keep replacing batteries every couple two three years.
    I'm also thinking that this will save me on replacing the coil, and the regulator too?
    If it means I don't have to buy the cycle electric generator with the reguator built in, then that would save me $100.
    I'm pretty sold on the idea of a magneto, but which one should I get? it's going on a 77 XLH. I could get the JOE HUNT mag that mounts on the stock points cover area, it says I need no modifications this way. or I can get the MM2 from Morris Magnetos that mounts in the tach drive, but it looks like there may be some clearance issues? has anyone had any experience with either of these and could give me some pros and cons? would be greatly appreciated before I go shelling out the dough for one of these.
  • Sky
    • Aug 2009

Still need a genny to run lights no batt neccesary. Can use some elrctronic ignitions batt-less and def points.. Clearances only need to be made once, tach drive is tucked in and less prone to damage.

theGreatSkyFather

Comment

• SyndicateChoppers
      • Sep 2011

Morris Magneto all the way.
      They are a better designed product and use better materials and internals on their magnetos. That is why the price is slightly higher.
      Ive been a dealer for them for a few years now and get great consistent results with them.

you will still need a generator and regulator though to run the lights on your bike and its a good idea to have that wired to a capacitor to run your lights

if you need any specific info on the morris stuff feel free to shoot me a pm
      if its your first time installing a magneto I would highly suggest buying the timing tool from morris as well, it helps out tremendously setting the static timing

Comment

• GermanG
        • Apr 2013

I have a morris on my 1979 engine since 1999 and did not have any problemd so far. Mounting the magneto is not a problem. There are no clearance issues, because you can mount it in a position away from the engine like on the pics.
        positve: magneto works independent from the electrical system.
        the spark is super hot when engine runs
        negative: needs regular service on points and condensor (2000 miles)
        the morris is a fixed-position magneto and can not be retardet for starting, on a stock point ignition the advance weight assembly
        advances and retards the point cam automaticly to make starting easier.
        I would only buy a magneto together with the morris mra-cap, so that you can retard it when kick starting.
        The positive point that the magneto is independent from the electrics is also negative, because all the juice for the spark is
        generated by your leg only. This is often a problem when the bike has been parked outside in the rain and one tries to start it in
        morning after a night in the beer tent.
        Trying to save money and buying a magneto does not work. For the price of the morris and cap you can replace a lot of batteries, coils and regulaters! Sorry but pigs do not upload, must be the new page. Maybe tomorrow!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;