CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default First Project Bike is a 78 Ironhead

Should have done this a long time ago. So, I'm going to recreated what I've done so that I have a record for posterity sake. Any feedback or counsel is welcome.*

I was looking for a project bike to keep me busy over the winter and found one. The owner has never turned it over. Bought a two bike deal from a guy who had some medical issues. He says engine has rebuilt with .30 over bore but can't verify it. He says the other bike that he worked on checked out with everything the guy said.*

I'm trusting and I fell in love with the lines so I took it home.*

Got it home and realized just how bad this thing is. Bolts missing, others stripped, brake lines jacked with no fluid in them, yada yada yada.

Bike won't start (no surprise). Bad solenoid. Nonetheless, I still love the look on my own lift. While I wait for the solenoid, As I modify the rear fender.

Here's the worst part... Since I think I'm a certified welder after having 45 minutes of coaching, I figure, "what can go wrong" as I weld on the swing arm with the brand new expensive Harley brand battery still on the bike. It pops and sprays battery acid everywhere.

After completing the weld, replacing the battery and doing a "custom" paint job, here is how it stands. My goal is to go first class when I have to buy something, (spiegel brake lines, harley battery, etc) but to work within the mojo of the current personality of the bike.

You'll also notice that I have removed the struts and went with a set of harley shocks I had lying around. They fit so I'm trying them.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

A Harley battery isn't "first class"; it's simply a battery made by somebody else that has Harley's name on it. Yusa is a tried-and-true battery. I wouldn't be surprised to find that, while pricey, it's cheaper than the Harley branded battery.

You also might consider a Li+ battery. They're smaller, lighter, and longer-lived than PBSO4 batteries, but they're considerably more expensive.

While grinding down the fender tabs prior to powder coating, dumbass me had my front spark plug out. Shavings were everywhere so I thought it was the perfect reason to break the top end apart and take a look.

Everything looked within normal wear with no grooves to catch a finger nail, son I replaced gaskets and buttoned it back up.
    Last edited by Britome; 01-03-2014 at 8:22 PM.

Then I realized I out the top on backwards!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by jbswear View Post
    A Harley battery isn't "first class"; it's simply a battery made by somebody else that has Harley's name on it. Yusa is a tried-and-true battery. I wouldn't be surprised to find that, while pricey, it's cheaper than the Harley branded battery.

You also might consider a Li+ battery. They're smaller, lighter, and longer-lived than PBSO4 batteries, but they're considerably more expensive.

I would not recommend a lithium battery for a iron head. I went thru three shnori ones before they finally will not warranty it again and the thing is a paper weight. While it is the lightest paper weight in the world these bikes eat them up. Went back to a small battery designed for a softtail and I am back in business with no problems. Just a fyi

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Britome View Post
    BTW.. Started a bike build thread here
    http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34708
    You just linked this thread?!?

Get Adobe Flash player

thats some funny shit there.

Get Adobe Flash player

It's an Inception thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramzilla View Post
    You just linked this thread?!?

Yea... I am a greenhorn in multiple ways.

Meanwhile, I just got my knew weights for the advance timing since the old ones were totally worn out and wobbly. I installed it with the dynatek rotor and other hardware. 6 tries and fiddling with the S&S and it turned over.

It purrs very nicely. A good day indeed.

Get Adobe Flash player

Nice work dude!

Love the way you 'go for it'!

Wrapped and mounted pipes today. Crazy that the pipe support was too short to reach the from pipe bolt area. I welded on an extension.

And here she is...

Also took apart the front end in prep for powder coating.

Frustrating but productive day. Got my rear wheel bearings finally squared away. Harley doesn't make them anymore and the company that was supposed to be able to match them sent them a bit small for the axel to fit through. We went to millimeters and that was the trick.

There were spacers and washers that should have been where they were and others that should have been there that weren't. This bike has been jacked by previous owners. After trying numerous combinations, everything is snug and the wheel moves freely. Tell me this isn't bad ass!...

Also got the new rear brake line squared away and shaved my home made strut and the brake line guide for everything to synch.

Just needs a little touch up paint.

Also getting things ready for powder coating.

Still not sure if I'm going to do the upper portion of the fork tubes. I don't want to scratch fresh powder coat trying to jam them through. I may sand down the lower tree clamp first and see if I can get a more free fit while still being able to clamp down later. I've also decided to stay with original paint on then tree.

Get Adobe Flash player

Don't do the tubes man, slap some fork boots on it! Glad to see your progress and hear you got it running!

Quote Originally Posted by Axehand View Post
    Don't do the tubes man, slap some fork boots on it! Glad to see your progress and hear you got it running!
    Gaiters already ordered for the bottom. I'm talking about the top where there is some pitting of the chrome.

I appreciate the input.
    Last edited by Britome; 01-04-2014 at 5:14 PM.

Share This