Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kawiguy1309
    • Jan 2013

softail brake caliper

Does anybody know what im missing? Like the caliper bracket? and what does it look like. Or do i need a whole new caliper and everything? Thanks
    Attached Files
  • kaydee
    • Feb 2014

not real sure of the question so i'll guess. the tab on the lower right hand side of the swingarm holds the caliper. you need to remove the wheel and slide the caliper onto the tab. look for the notch on the bottom of the caliper with a rubber tab on it. most times you need to take the back side of the caliper off to clear the rim, least i have to with my deuce.reinsert axle and spacers and you should be good to go.

Comment

• kawiguy1309
      • Jan 2013

well im missing something otherwise i can move the caliper anywhere and the question was am i missing the bracket or is it the wrong setup all together? 06 rigid frame that came with it and was told softail evo era fits it.

Comment

• mreed
        • Dec 2010

you just have it on wrong. Do what the first guy said. That tab on the right side of the caliper needs to be positioned on the flat tab that is welded to your lower frame rail.

Look at the softail in your sig pic. It will be the same.
        Last edited by mreed; 03-15-2014, 2:36 AM.

Comment

• andri
          • Mar 2012

On the picture below the caliper is in the correct position, with the slot on the brake caliper slid over the frame's bracket. Bracket is not clearly visible in this picture, but it's the same as found on softail frames, and what looks to be on your frame.

Comment

• daroberts3
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by kawiguy1309
            well im missing something otherwise i can move the caliper anywhere and the question was am i missing the bracket or is it the wrong setup all together? 06 rigid frame that came with it and was told softail evo era fits it.
            The caliper pictured is NOT an Evo era caliper. That caliper is a 2000 and later.
            The correct term here is brake anchor. Both the Evo and 2000 and later brake calipers use a tab welded to the lower frame/swingarm tube as their brake anchors.
            Cut your tab off if it is in fact in the wrong position, reweld in the correct spot.

Comment

• misfitJason
              • Sep 2009

^ he's correct. Get an evo softail rear brake. It's a different style backet and caliper. On those the caliper bolts to the bracket assembly which attaches to the frame the same way for the frame you have. On those though the caliper doesn't have a ton of spacing built into it where it touches your wheel spacer
              Last edited by misfitJason; 03-15-2014, 8:47 AM. Reason: Pic

Comment

• kawiguy1309
                • Jan 2013

Okay thanks a lot and my sig pic is a shovelhead by the way. One other dumb question but im new to all this shit. Whats the diff between an evo engine and a ultima engine? and are the CI related to bike year or style? im also looking for an engine for this frame/build and forund a 127CI ultima engine but didnt know if it would fit.

Comment

• misfitJason
                  • Sep 2009

Ultimate makes an evo motor. The difference is cubic inches and the aftermarket brand. They all have the same mounts though if you are talking about an evo

Comment

• kawiguy1309
                    • Jan 2013

okay thanks.

Comment

• daroberts3
                      • Dec 2012

Ultima engines are made in Taiwan. Junk or good as boat anchors.
                      Buy an HD crate engine or S+S.
                      Then again, I opened up an HD wrist pin baggie not too long ago and it was printed on the bag, made in Taiwan.

Comment

• misfitJason
                        • Sep 2009

It is well documented that the older ultimas had problems. The newer ones seem to be decent. They still have weaknesses of things you might want to change out of the box. If you google it you will see. But a harley crate motor needs the cam bearing changed to the toringtons out of the box anyway

Comment

• kawiguy1309
                          • Jan 2013

Alright thanks. I did some research and as far as fitment goes 84 to 99 right? and from what ive read it all depends what you want and how much money you got as far as what engine year is better than the other.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;