Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChopperE
    • Jul 2013

39 MM Front End Questions

I see that a bunch of you guys are rocking the super low front end and try as I may, I cant find any info on this. It looks to me like there is no actual suspension left as the front end would bottom out if you went over the smallest of bumps. Can someone give me the low-down on how this works and how can I do it?
    Attached Files
  • ChopperE
    • Jul 2013

I found this link, but it still would not be as low as the others pictured above.

First thing, I am doing this based on what I have seen other people do. You can do this with stock or progressive forks. 1. After removing front wheel I like to remove the top fork cap with the forks still in the trees. The trees make a good clamps. You'll need a 1-3/8 socket or crescent wrench to remove.Be careful to apply

Comment

• spidr
      • Mar 2010

It doesnt work, its basically rigid, and its purely for looks.

Comment

• RobertJames8
        • May 2013

the norm is to chop the fork and shorten them but as already stated it leaves very little travel. progressive suspension does sell a drop in lowering kit that may help get you somewhere near what you want.

Comment

• Blackbetty
          • Apr 2011

Best method IMO is the arlen ness 2" drop damper rods.

Comment

• junkyardxl
            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Blackbetty
            Best method IMO is the arlen ness 2" drop damper rods.
            They ride like garbage.

Comment

• TheSandman
              • Apr 2011

Easiest and cheapest is stick a 2" spacer under the spring on the damper rod, reassemble the legs and cut the top springs to compensate. Lowers 2" and looks clean.

Ride won't change much. The way I see it, you build a chopper or bobber or whatever because it looks cool. Of course it rides like shit, that's what makes it fun.

You want a comfortable ride, get a gold wing.

Comment

• hankhill
                • Mar 2013

+1 for sandman. I have run forks like this, and yeah it looks great depending on the application, but expect to feel like your gonna eat your bars on every pebble.

Comment

• Clockwork444
                  • Dec 2013

2" drop in kit or as stated (the better way, but requires full disassembly) do the spacers on the damper rod

Comment

• ChopperE
                    • Jul 2013

Thanks for the replies folks. I think Ill try cutting the springs and throwing in a home made pvc spacer.
                    On a somewhat related note, is fork oil supposed to stink? Pulled the top caps and springs to let them drip before I cut them and it stunk up the house after about a half hour.

Comment

• ChopperE
                      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by TheSandman

Ride won't change much. The way I see it, you build a chopper or bobber or whatever because it looks cool. Of course it rides like shit, that's what makes it fun.

Agreed.

Comment

• atmeisner
                        • Aug 2010

+1 on this, there was a DIY article in cyclesource a few months back. send me a pm with your email i can send you scanned copy if you want. did it myself, it'll take 30 mins if you have the right tools

Originally posted by TheSandman
                        Easiest and cheapest is stick a 2" spacer under the spring on the damper rod, reassemble the legs and cut the top springs to compensate. Lowers 2" and looks clean.

Comment

• Sky
                          • Aug 2009

Yes fork oil stinks, the worst is the fish oil based stuff that hasn't been changed since the 70's.
                          Don't necessarily have to cut the springs, just space the damper tube up and enjoy the extra preload. You'll want it with the reduced travel.

theGreatSkyFather

Comment

• atmeisner
                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Sky
                            Don't necessarily have to cut the springs, just space the damper tube up and enjoy the extra preload. You'll want it with the reduced travel.
                            I was thinking of leaving them as well, the issue I had was that it was too difficult to compress the springs far enough to get the caps to thread back on. Probably could have been done but I'm impatient and got pissed off so i cut them haha

Comment

• ChopperE
                              • Jul 2013

So I ended up just cutting the springs and adding the PVC spacer myself. I figured if I F'd it up I would buy a lowering kit like I was planning on doing anyway.
                              I decided having a little fork travel was going to be better then totally slamming the front end like the pics above but i did go lower then any kits on the market- about 3 inches. I'll just need to make other parts of the bike cool to make up for it.

The job was easy, fork oil stunk up the house. If you are on the fence about trying it, do it!
                              I have a few notes on this write up.

First thing, I am doing this based on what I have seen other people do. You can do this with stock or progressive forks. 1. After removing front wheel I like to remove the top fork cap with the forks still in the trees. The trees make a good clamps. You'll need a 1-3/8 socket or crescent wrench to remove.Be careful to apply

-You don’t need a vice. Just pull the wheel and keep the forks in the trees until you drain them, then pull them out of the tress. You are essentially using the triple tree as a vice.
                              -There is a small indent in the dust cover. Use a flat head screw driver and a hammer to convince it to get the fuck out of the way.
                              -I used a ling 6mm allen key with a pair of vice grips on the short end to remove the bolt at the bottom of the forks.
                              -The copper washer stayed in the bottom of the shock for me on one side, came out with the bolt on the other
                              -When cutting the springs, you want to cut the bottom of them, the part that is tightly coiled.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;