Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by gww250
    I follow most builds on here especially if the builders are using anything I've published so I can see where and when I need to improve articles to add more information. I also learn a ton of stuff myself and you can never stop learning.
    I'm always learning mostly about people these days............

So WHY do you only have 15 post in 9 years if your so knowledgeable???????????

Comment

• Hoghead
      • Jun 2015

Originally posted by ARBY
      You might try installing a stabilizer plate under the top nuts. Then tighten the nuts down evenly.

Free Web Proxy

Only other thing I can thing of is that maybe the springs on one side are weaker than on the other. Whatever you work out be sure to post an update so we'll all know for future reference.
      Good advice- I assume this is like friction plates in line with the stem to act as a steering damper?

Comment

• gww250
        • Nov 2011

The forum has so many knowledgable people that I seldom have anythng to add to the threads.

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

The forum has so many knowledgable people that I seldom have anythng to add to the threads.
          LOL Just the answer I was expecting....................

Correct spelling and all...................

Thank you......... LOL

Stay safe and healthy..............

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
            • Apr 2012

Stop being such a Douche nozzle Tattoo. You run a lot of people off or deter others from contributing or asking valid questions.
            You DO Have a valid point about the OP not posting needed info and that applies to anyone asking for tech help, but beating up on someone who has valid and technically knowledgeable input is a plain old dick move.
            You DO realize you were insulting and belittling right?
            One of the best resources for tech out there, and someone I genuinly respect, and we all should give a hearty round of applause and appreciation for his contributions.
            If you hadnt been so busy being a Butt Nugget you might have checked the dudes profile and realize he is the internet's best resource and publisher of the chopper builders handbook.

Click image for larger version

Name:	slinky.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	1316741

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dougtheinternetannoyance123
              Stop being such a Douche nozzle Tattoo. You run a lot of people off or deter others from contributing or asking valid questions.
              LOL the pot calling the kettle black............. LOL

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dougtheinternetannoyance123
                You DO Have a valid point about the OP not posting needed info and that applies to anyone asking for tech help, but beating up on someone who has valid and technically knowledgeable input is a plain old dick move.
                Man it's not my job to do research when people ask questions...... They should give up info if they want an answer........

Plus it's good to see gww250 is finally giving advice on the forum................

So my post to him was helpful..............

Stay safe and healthy............

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                  • Dec 2017

Originally posted by scottiemcdoogle
                  Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but did you ever figure out the problem? My springer does the same thing at high speeds. It’s about 10+ and it sways side to side real bad if I’m turning and hit a bump on the highway

Were you able to get the correct clearance at each rocker pivot point (0.002"), not too tight and not to sloppy...

and the shouldered bolts or rocker studs are a tight fit in the legs (holes all round, not egg-shaped) and a sliding fit on the bushings inside the rockers with grease lubrication?

and the correct spacers for your wheel that centered the wheel and has the end of the spacer on just the inner ring of the wheel bearing? And they are not pinching the rockers together or pushing them apart...rockers all happy, parallel and spaced...

Are the wheel bearings in good condition with the proper bearing spacer between them inside the hub?

No binding of the spring rods in the upper spring perch or rod cups?

What brake, if any, have you got on there, and if there is one, are you sure the brake rod is connected properly to the rear springer leg and able to pivot at both ends, with shouldered bolts and heim joints?
                  visually, everything looks in proper alignment?

Name:	Springer_rocker precision shims CBH Springbuild.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1316770

Is this your machine you are asking about?

Name:	scottie sportychop.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1316771

Springer 101: Routine Springer Maintenance
                  Article And Photos By: Chris Callen Originally Published In The February 2018 Issue Of Cycle Source Magazine Whether you ride your springer a lot or i
                  Last edited by TriNortchopz; 03-28-2020, 11:51 PM. Reason: pinch
                  If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                    • Dec 2017

Everybody made good valid points on what to check for but also check that your wheel is true and that the distance between the rocks at the wheel hub and spring pivot points are equal. You might be pinching the rockers if your wheel spacers are wrong. Caliper arm biding is a common problem. Unequal spring rates do create problems in that if one spring is loaded differently your basically running a fork with variable rate. One spring, the strong one, does all the work until the weak one is compressed enough to start carrying load and then the suspension tightens up all at once. Rates vary from 136 to 150 pounds per inch per spring on most springers. Both springs when new should be the exact same height (free height), if not then the set is probably cheaply made. Paughco has the best quality spring I've found without custom ordering from a spring maker.
                    https://chopperbuildershandbook.com
                    Good post Gary; been following CBH for years, and also your posts over on Chopper Compendium...Welcome!
                    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
                      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                      Good post Gary; been following CBH for years, and also your posts over on Chopper Compendium...Welcome!
                      EXACTLY!!! All due respect for first responders and those in the medical community during these challenging times, they deserve our appreciation, But in the motorcycle world, Choptastical especially Gary is deserving of our heartfelt appreciation. So tomorrow night, where ever you are in the world, at 7 PM open your garage doors, fire up your scoots, and rev like a madman for a full minute (Gunfire optional) in appreciation for the CBH and his contribution to the Motorcycle community.

I for one, appreciate the advice, the book especially but any tech advice from the guru himself on tuning and adjusting a Springer or girder is worth its weight in gold.

Name:	Trophyges.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	1316774

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
                        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by DestroyerGarage
                        It's a cheap DNA
                        Throw it away

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                          • Dec 2017

but Scottie's ain't:

Name:	scottie sportychop.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1316779

Comment

• Avon
                            • Aug 2018

You may want to try Three Two Choppers

I bought a DNA Style Spring Stabilizer Dogbone and a DNA Hoop Kit. Ran into a couple of hiccups, but, Jimmy Lee was right there to save the day!

Check out their FaceBook page
                            Last edited by Avon; 04-10-2020, 2:37 AM. Reason: Wouldn't you like to know?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;