CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Adjusting springer front end!

At high speeds my springer will hit a bump on the freeway and feel real scetchy. It acts like one spring is tighter than the other and turns the wheel slightly one direction to compensate. At a high rate of speed this can get a little nerve racking. I know it's out of adjustment and I would like some input as to what to do. I have an inch lbs tourque wrench that I was going to use to be sure the spring rate is the same on both sides. If you have any other suggestions on how to correct this please let me know I'm new to the springer and would like to learn a thing or two thanks

ARBY

You might try installing a stabilizer plate under the top nuts. Then tighten the nuts down evenly.

Free Web Proxy

Only other thing I can thing of is that maybe the springs on one side are weaker than on the other. Whatever you work out be sure to post an update so we'll all know for future reference.

Get Adobe Flash player

The stabilizer is a good idea I will look into this and someone else mentioned maybe the rocker bushings could be an issue but it's brand new, I shouldn't have any issues. I will keep you guys posted on what sort of corrected action was taken

Get Adobe Flash player

What springer do u have ? On my original HD springer built back in the 30s, first thing I did was replace all the springs. Even though they looked ok.

Get Adobe Flash player

It's a cheap DNA

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

I have 2 DNA's in my shop right now so don't take this as a dig but it's a DNA. The springs are known to start getting weak pretty quick under load. Since there's no idea how long this front sat on a shelf before you ever got it, I'd say its probably one of the springs either getting weak already or the spring rate was weaker to begin with. Usually the first upgrade people do to their DNA's is swapping the springs for a set of Paughco springs. Sucks to have to change springs on a new front end but it is what it is. Ive done it to the two I have before they ever hit the road

Get Adobe Flash player

That is where I'm leaning. Any specifics on springs? Do they have different rate options? Sizes?

Get Adobe Flash player

from Paughco, may be able to find them a little cheaper elsewhere
    pn-162
    Top springs (sold in pairs)
    _________
    $53.95
    pn-163C4
    Top inner springs (sold in pairs)

Get Adobe Flash player

Cool I'll do some research. How do you feel about adding a dampened shock to this? I'm sure it will help quite a bit

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ESV View Post
    Cool I'll do some research. How do you feel about adding a dampened shock to this? I'm sure it will help quite a bit
    I'm not 100% sure why but if you look in their catalog the dampened front ends springs have different part #'s. It would help with pogoing but once you get a good set of springs it will be a world of difference. Before spending a ton on springs you can try the equalizer plate first. That may do it for you or at least give you some more time before you need to change the springs. Cheapest fix first then go from there

Get Adobe Flash player

Hell just realized you where in Houston. I'm not far from you. If you need a hand lmk

Get Adobe Flash player

Just my .02, but it shouldnt matter if one spring is weaker than the other. Since they're linked to a common piece, unless the wheel is able to wobble(bad bushings or bearings) the spring cant let it. The springs shouldnt be used as a bandaid for a sloppy front end.
    Take the tension off the springs and see if you can rock the wheel side to side. If you can, start there.

Get Adobe Flash player

Ok cool I'll try that and at 70schop. I'm me with your number and we can hang out in my garage n drink beer maybe I can learn a couple things from you

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah, I would check the front wheel if its so sketchy.........maybe a bad bearing? Maybe your axle is loose and lets the wheel have side to side play? jack up bike and see if you can wiggle your front wheel.......thats way cheaper than new springs.

And....fwiw, if you get new springs, I'll buy your old springs......or if anyone has a set of junk DNA springs layin around lemme know.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'll post what I have done here and if I decide to buy new then I'll let you know

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by spidr View Post
    Just my .02, but it shouldnt matter if one spring is weaker than the other. Since they're linked to a common piece, unless the wheel is able to wobble(bad bushings or bearings) the spring cant let it. The springs shouldnt be used as a bandaid for a sloppy front end.
    Take the tension off the springs and see if you can rock the wheel side to side. If you can, start there.
    ^ this for sure. A couple other things to look at is in that brake. Make sure that the caliper bracket can pivot when the axle is tight. It must be able to move. Also, make sure the caliper bracket isn't hitting the front leg when you hit a bump.

I'm using front shock on my DNA and no pogo action. It's actually stiff when I hit a bump.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by DestroyerGarage View Post
    I'll post what I have done here and if I decide to buy new then I'll let you know
    Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but did you ever figure out the problem? My springer does the same thing at high speeds. Itís about 10+ and it sways side to side real bad if Iím turning and hit a bump on the highway

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by scottiemcdoogle View Post
    Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but did you ever figure out the problem? My springer does the same thing at high speeds. It’s about 10+ and it sways side to side real bad if I’m turning and hit a bump on the highway
    What rake is your frame????????

Plus what kind of bike are we talking about?????????

Pics would be very nice..........

Share This