Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bnag0
    • Oct 2013

Vintage Tires? - Road Star Bobber

Hey everyone.... I have got my spoke wheels coming in for my roadie and I really love the old school tread patterns and the more I research on performance / reliability the more frustrated I get. I understand they don't match up to the modern rubber but this is what I will be doing with my bike...

Bike weight - 750
    My weight - 175
    Girly weight - 130 ( I am working on a removable seat for the bobber)

I don't usually go over 70 but I live in the country and sometimes cruse at that speed for a good amount of time.

I put roughly 2-4 thousand miles on my bike per season. She is a pig so i don't drag knee or anything and she has no fenders so the rain isn't really a variable.

What vintage style tires would you recommend? I need a 5.00-16 front and back. Please try to support your opinions!

Thanks!

Last edited by bnag0; 02-25-2014, 10:06 AM.
  • xllance
    • Apr 2024

You sure your bike tips the scales at 750 ? I would think it would be much lighter. I bet you will be good with running the Coker Firestone Deluxe Champions. I got alot of miles out of the one I ran and it handled well. Seems like it has sturdy sidewalls. I love your use of the oneway sign ! I expected to open this thread and see a lame bike with the fender chopped and flat black paint (not that there's anything wrong with that) but your scoot looks killer. Any more pics ?

Oh and if you'll drop the 'B' word in reference to your chopper, you'll get more replies.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-25-2014, 6:55 AM.

Comment

• govmule84
      • Oct 2011

Hard to beat a Safety Mileage... they handle nicely, and though I have never run one on the front of a bike, they hold up nicely in the rear and look the part.

Comment

• bnag0
        • Oct 2013

I would love to run the 72225 Firestones but the reviews I have seen are all over the damn place.... Most threads ive read have zero support to back up their opinions its either they work fine or they are shit why would you ride on them? Yea maybe my bike is more like 700 it pushes 800 stock.

Any more opinions / support would be greatly appreciated!

Here is my build thread.

Comment

• bnag0
          • Oct 2013

I do like the Avon Safety Mileage MKII as well. Decent info about running one on the front...

Comment

• IndianaSlim
            • Jan 2013

OK, don't make me go down to the garage in this arctic shit to see if my new MKII has a directional arrow. Ya know it's going to drive me nuts until I do.

Comment

• bnag0
              • Oct 2013

Haha... Slim form that thread it sounds like they do. Do you have the 5.00-16? If so please tell me about your experience and how many miles you have rolled on them.

Comment

• bnag0
                • Oct 2013

Does anyone know of a good thread with real testing results?

Comment

• ScottB
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by bnag0
                  Does anyone know of a good thread with real testing results?
                  We're talking about tires that use designs older than you and me, man...
                  I am not sure you are going to find any "real testing results."

The Avon tires roll, they squirm, they last a while.
                  I can't speak to the Firestones.
                  I don't think anybody runs a vintage style tire with the thought that they are gonna perform.
                  At least not like any newer tire.

If I were you, I might be asking the manufacturers about load capacity. I am not sure what that might even be, but at a 1000lbs rolling weight I would be thinking about it.
                  Not trying to bust you chops, for the record...
                  Last edited by ScottB; 02-26-2014, 8:41 AM.

Comment

• bnag0
                    • Oct 2013

I am not looking for anything crazy scientific but rather people who can say they are okay because I have gone "X" miles and have had "X" issues

The specs are easy to compare...

Modern tires recommended for my bike

Metzeler Rear ME880 150/80HB-16
                    Speed Rating: H-Rated up to 130 MPH
                    Load Capacity/Inflation Pressure: 761 lbs./42 PSI

Michelin Front Commander II 130/90HB-16
                    Speed Rating: H-rated for speeds up to 130 mph
                    Load Capacity/Inflation Pressure: 805 lbs/42 psi

Vintage

Avon Safety Mileage MKII 5.00-16
                    Speed Rating: S - Rated up to 112 MPH
                    Load Capacity: 69 or 716lbs

Shinko 270s 5.00-16
                    Speed Rating: S - Rated up to 112 MPH
                    Load Capacity: 69 or 716lbs

500-16 Firestone M/C Tire Blackwall
                    Speed Rating: P - Rated up to 93 MPH
                    Load Capacity: 760lbs @ 32 psi

Coker/Beck Cycle Blackwall
                    Speed Rating: Unknown

Indian Script Cycle Blackwall - 500-16
                    Speed Rating: P - Rated up to 93 MPH

I already know they are not as good just wish I could find some better reviews thats all.

Comment

• SyndicateChoppers
                      • Sep 2011

I'll give you an experience based opinion on them

I run all of the major vintage treads on all my personal bikes and I use them quite often on customers bikes

There is nothing wrong with them at all.
                      They all hold up well and you get decent mileage out of all of them.

Ive used the following with all about the same the results:

Firestone deluxe champions (I have 2 bikes that have these as front and rear 5.00-16 tires, '51 pan/shovel and a '65 panhead)
                      These last as long as any other vintage tread tire out there.

Coker Indian Script ( My '49 Panhead has a 5.00-16 on the rear)
                      Again this gets good mileage and performs the same as the firestone champion deluxe

Firestone ANS (My '56 Panhead has this on the rear as a 5.00-16)
                      This one has a little more "road noise" due to the tread pattern but gets good mileage

Allstate Tires Deluxe (My '42 Knucklhead has these in 5.00-16 front and rear)
                      I havent had them on there that long as they are a newer tire to hit the market compared to others but they feel about the same as all the others.

If your planning on buying these tires and expecting them to perform like a Pirelli or Metzler they are absolutely in no way shape or form ever going to do that.

You will not be able to get 30,000 + miles out of them like you would a Dunlop 402 tire

They dont do that well in the rain like a modern tire does either, but theyre not unbearable in the wet weather.

You will probably see about 5000-8000 miles out a of a set with moderate riding on them.

These tires are designed for one purpose and only purpose only LOOKS,
                      if you have a vintage bike that needs a vintage look theres really no other options

Comment

• bnag0
                        • Oct 2013

Originally posted by SyndicateChoppers
                        I'll give you an experience based opinion on them

I run all of the major vintage treads on all my personal bikes and I use them quite often on customers bikes

There is nothing wrong with them at all.
                        They all hold up well and you get decent mileage out of all of them.

Ive used the following with all about the same the results:

Firestone deluxe champions (I have 2 bikes that have these as front and rear 5.00-16 tires, '51 pan/shovel and a '65 panhead)
                        These last as long as any other vintage tread tire out there.

Coker Indian Script ( My '49 Panhead has a 5.00-16 on the rear)
                        Again this gets good mileage and performs the same as the firestone champion deluxe

Firestone ANS (My '56 Panhead has this on the rear as a 5.00-16)
                        This one has a little more "road noise" due to the tread pattern but gets good mileage

Allstate Tires Deluxe (My '42 Knucklhead has these in 5.00-16 front and rear)
                        I havent had them on there that long as they are a newer tire to hit the market compared to others but they feel about the same as all the others.

If your planning on buying these tires and expecting them to perform like a Pirelli or Metzler they are absolutely in no way shape or form ever going to do that.

You will not be able to get 30,000 + miles out of them like you would a Dunlop 402 tire

They dont do that well in the rain like a modern tire does either, but theyre not unbearable in the wet weather.

You will probably see about 5000-8000 miles out a of a set with moderate riding on them.

These tires are designed for one purpose and only purpose only LOOKS,
                        if you have a vintage bike that needs a vintage look theres really no other options

Syndicate,
                        Thank you so much for all your information it really helps!

I don't expect them to perform like a modern tire as said before but from what ive stated in my first post and with your experience would you say running a tire like this in my situation is safe enough? I do plan on keeping a close eye on these tires being they are not as great, 5000-8000 miles I can live with and I don't ride in the rain or wet what so ever.

How far of a run have you made on these tires?
                        Out of those tires you have mentioned which do you feel safer on?

Thanks again!
                        -Brent

Comment

• SyndicateChoppers
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by bnag0
                          Syndicate,
                          Thank you so much for all your information it really helps!

I don't expect them to perform like a modern tire as said before but from what ive stated in my first post and with your experience would you say running a tire like this in my situation is safe enough? I do plan on keeping a close eye on these tires being they are not as great, 5000-8000 miles I can live with and I don't ride in the rain or wet what so ever.

How far of a run have you made on these tires?
                          Out of those tires you have mentioned which do you feel safer on?

Thanks again!
                          -Brent
                          Brent
                          honestly they all ride about the same the only difference I did notice is that ANS tires are a little noisier than the others but that is just due to their tread pattern. I wouldnt really say I feel safer on one vs. the other.
                          On the older bikes they dont really go fast enough to put them out of the "safety" zone of the tires. Most older choppers I build cruise around 70-75mph with some short blasts up to 90mph every now and then

how far of a run as in distance have I done on them in one day ?
                          Ive done plenty of 8 hrs a day riding on them.

How far of time total ? I have 2 sets of firestone deluxes that probably have well over 7,000 miles on them over the last few years. I own a lot of bikes and I ride all of them regularly so I dont burn through them as fast as is I only owned 1 bike etc.

Ive been 110 mph on the firestone deluxe and didnt notice or feel any issues (this was on a mostly straight parkway run not much turning at all)

I honestly could not recommend one over the other for performance,
                          I guess I would just choose base on whatever one looks better to you.

The allstate ones are a lot more pricey at around $250ish a tire.

If you need any of the firestone or coker branded ones shoot me a pm Im a dealer for them through my shop if your looking for a place to order them through

Comment

• bnag0
                            • Oct 2013

Originally posted by SyndicateChoppers
                            Brent
                            honestly they all ride about the same the only difference I did notice is that ANS tires are a little noisier than the others but that is just due to their tread pattern. I wouldnt really say I feel safer on one vs. the other.
                            On the older bikes they dont really go fast enough to put them out of the "safety" zone of the tires. Most older choppers I build cruise around 70-75mph with some short blasts up to 90mph every now and then

how far of a run as in distance have I done on them in one day ?
                            Ive done plenty of 8 hrs a day riding on them.

How far of time total ? I have 2 sets of firestone deluxes that probably have well over 7,000 miles on them over the last few years. I own a lot of bikes and I ride all of them regularly so I dont burn through them as fast as is I only owned 1 bike etc.

Ive been 110 mph on the firestone deluxe and didnt notice or feel any issues (this was on a mostly straight parkway run not much turning at all)

I honestly could not recommend one over the other for performance,
                            I guess I would just choose base on whatever one looks better to you.

The allstate ones are a lot more pricey at around $250ish a tire.

If you need any of the firestone or coker branded ones shoot me a pm Im a dealer for them through my shop if your looking for a place to order them through
                            Syndicate,
                            Thank you for all the help! Happy to purchase them through you.

Everyone can expect updates on these tires throughout the summer months!

FYI went with the Firestone Deluxe Champions 5.00-16

Comment

• TheMainMuel
                              • Oct 2010

I think you're going to love them. I run the Firstone Champion Deluxe 5.00-16 on my bike. I've ridden tons; wet, dry, back road, dirt road, interstate, etc and never had a problem. The Road Star is my next bike as well and I will definitely be running them on it.

Be sure and share pics!!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;