Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Britome
    • Dec 2013

Q: S&S super B help / jetting issue ?

Bike hasn't been run in years. After a few months work, it is about ready to go starts on the first try. The problem is that the choke needs to be on for it to keep running. I've messed around with other settings but not sure if I should break open the carb and see what is going on.

Thoughts?
  • Britome
    • Dec 2013

Btw, it is a 78 ironhead. Here is the build thread...
    First Project Bike is a 78 Ironhead http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34708

Comment

• Bandersnatch
      • Dec 2011

yes. break open the carb and look.

Maybe your float need adjusted.

Pull out your jets.....push a pin through them to make sure they arent gummed up. Be sure everything is clean.
      Put it back together and try it out.

Comment

• butcherchop2
        • Feb 2013

Your pilot jet is either stopped up or way to small

Comment

• ARBY
          • Apr 2024

Yep, the idle jet is probably plugged not to mention some of the internal passage ways. My advice would be to pull the bowl cover, remove the jets and the float and soak all the metal stuff. You can soak it in carb cleaner for that purpose or if you don't want to mess with the caustic chemicals you can do this:

If I have a cruddy carb or one that has been lying dormant for a while I'll soak it for a day or two in a non acid solution of PineSol (household cleaner) and water.

I cut open a gallon milk jug, fill it with hot tap water, pour in a few ounces of PineSol, drop in the carb parts and let it sit for 24 to 48 hours stirring the solution every now and then. When you take the stuff out brush off the parts under hot running water and it'll all come out looking brand new!

Comment

• Britome
            • Dec 2013

Thx, guys. I took the bowl off, leaving the carb attached to the intake. Things looked pretty clean. I blew carb cleaner and air in every passage/hole.

I took out the idle screw and it was a little crudy. Cleaned it and reinstalled.

Now I can't get the bike to start at all. Argh!

Comment

• antblyme
              • Sep 2011

Clean the entire carb real good. Every litle hole, etc......Put FRESH gas in it. If it ran before with the jets in it now, leave it alone.

Comment

• Slosh
                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Britome
                Thx, guys. I took the bowl off, leaving the carb attached to the intake. Things looked pretty clean. I blew carb cleaner and air in every passage/hole.

I took out the idle screw and it was a little crudy. Cleaned it and reinstalled.

Now I can't get the bike to start at all. Argh!
                Turn the idle mixture screw in until it just bottoms out then turn it out about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 turns, pull the enricher up and, if it's a kicker , give it about three kicks to prime it. DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE!!! if you do you will lose the vacuum and have to start all over. Once it is primed, turn the bike on and kick it to life. If it's and electric start set the carb the same way and hit the button until it is primed and starts. After it starts let it idle for a minute or two then close the enricher. Then adjust the throttle screw to set the idle rpm's.

Trying to clean the carb without taking it off might have just blown the crap farther into it. I'd take it off and give it a thorough cleaning and then put it back on and try again. B carbs are very simple and really shouldn't give you too much trouble. At least nothing that can't be fairly easily figured out and resolved.

Comment

• ARBY
                  • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Slosh
                  Trying to clean the carb without taking it off might have just blown the crap farther into it.
                  What he said.

Comment

• Britome
                    • Dec 2013

Ok. Guys. Thx. I'll let u know.

Comment

• Britome
                      • Dec 2013

It could be less than perfect gas. Should it be premium gas?

Comment

• Britome
                        • Dec 2013

Q: S&S super B help / jetting issue ?

I put new premium gas in it and still the same symptoms. Starts immediately but then peters out after 10 seconds. Goes out immediately when letting off the choke. I'm going to thoroughly clean and see if that is the ticket. I'm up for other coaching.

Comment

• Stlmikie
                          • Jan 2013

Is your float set correctly? Is your tank vented?

Comment

• Britome
                            • Dec 2013

Hmmmm. Perhaps not. I don't have a vent on my tank. Just a petcock and the hole to put gas in.

How do I know if the float is set correctly? Everything is currently soaking in sea foam.

Comment

• Bandersnatch
                              • Dec 2011

If that needle was "a little cruddy" odds are there is enough crud in one of your jets or float valve to make your bike not run.

I dunno if anyone has said this yet or not, but pull the carb off, check the jets.
                              If they're crusty run a piece of wire or something through to scratch that stuff off. Carb cleaner really doesn't do much for that kinda build up.

I'm just assuming the bike sat for a while and obviously has ethanol gas in it which is bad for....everything.

PULL THE CARB. Its two bolts.
                              Look at it.
                              Watch a youtube video about it or something. S&S has a lot of great videos.
                              Really it isn't hard.
                              If you're still not confident enough to do it then just take it to a professional.
                              Last edited by Bandersnatch; 02-21-2014, 10:47 AM. Reason: not just aluminum

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;