Sporty crank and tank venting question ?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kettle
    • Jan 2014

Sporty crank and tank venting question ?

Hi
    Ive got a 95 sporty. built a custom oil tank without a vent tube, im running a vented cap. my question is can a plug the spot on the cam cover that the vent used to go to if a leave the vents in the heads. pretty sure it vents from the tank to the crank case (not the other way around) since there was not a vented cap originally. It would make since that I could plug that spot on the cam cover. was hoping for some first hand experience in the matter. thanks
  • Sky
    • Aug 2009

Vent is there to equalize pressure between tank and cam chest so oil pump pumps properly. Gravity feed to pump doesn't want to fight with cam chest press.
    Breather at the head is a separate system

Comment

• daroberts3
      • Dec 2012

Do not plug the cam chest vent. Instead route a breather hose off of it and position it so that it oils your final drive chain. Automatic chain oiler!

Comment

• kettle
        • Jan 2014

I had it vented stright down and was getting some blow by which is why I was asking, but routing it to oil the drive chain is actually a pretty damn good idea. Thanks

Comment

• TwoSheds
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Sky
          Vent is there to equalize pressure between tank and cam chest so oil pump pumps properly. Gravity feed to pump doesn't want to fight with cam chest press.
          Breather at the head is a separate system
          This is correct. vented cap is not a solution

Comment

• tattoo2303
            • Aug 2009

Im getting an excessive amount of oil (or atleast what i consider to be) out of the cam cover can i route this back to the oil tank? i picture running a T at the oil tank and venting both to the atmosphere but hope that the oil will blow back into the tank opposed to all over the bike like it currently is

Comment

• rjwatters38
              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by tattoo2303
              Im getting an excessive amount of oil (or atleast what i consider to be) out of the cam cover can i route this back to the oil tank? i picture running a T at the oil tank and venting both to the atmosphere but hope that the oil will blow back into the tank opposed to all over the bike like it currently is
              If your talking about what I think you're talking about, I have mine routed into the back of my air breather so that it filters back into the engine, it's how it came with the stock Keihin on it so I hooked it up for the S&S as well. Am I trying to blow up my engine by doing this?

Comment

• Sky
                • Aug 2009

The oil-tank-breather port is a fitting BEHIND the cam cover (to the rear) that needs to be plumbed to the breather fitting on top of the oil tank.
                The OP should plumb it to his custom tank's cap
                The one way PCV type valve CASE-breather on the outside (forward) of the cam cover should be plumbed to the atmosphere. You can point it at the chain if you want. Just keep it away from the breaks!

Comment

• rjwatters38
                  • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Sky
                  The oil-tank-breather port is a fitting BEHIND the cam cover (to the rear) that needs to be plumbed to the breather fitting on top of the oil tank.
                  The OP should plumb it to his custom tank's cap
                  The one way PCV type valve CASE-breather on the outside (forward) of the cam cover should be plumbed to the atmosphere. You can point it at the chain if you want. Just keep it away from the breaks!
                  So I should take it off the back of the air cleaner, and just aim a hose at the chain? Im on my way to the fair, but I'll take a picture so you can see what I mean.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;