Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shorty66
    • Dec 2011

People's Champ Part Deux- the other Triumph

Super stoked to be chosen to participate in the Show Class People's Champ Part Deux. We attended Born Free for the first time last year and we had a blast. So I was planning to finish the Triumph for Born Free 6 anyway. So when the opportunity came up to submit my project, I figured what the hell. Some great machines in the chosen 25 and I can't wait to see how they turn out. Regardless of how the voting turns out I am still planning to finish and attend Born Free 6. I have been lurking years, so I thought I should share some details of the build.

The plan was to build a skinny bike with as many hand fabricated parts as my skills would allow. I started with a basket case that consisted of a frame, engine and other small bits.
    Early on I wanted to fab a custom springer, but when some extra cash flowed my way, I decided to go with 39mm legs with Mullins narrow trees and a Mullins Richmond hub. As i have progressed through the project I kept thinking about the springer. So now I have been collecting materials to build a traditional style springer from scratch. More on that later.

Last edited by Shorty66; 01-15-2014, 6:48 PM. Reason: Reloading pics
  • Shorty66
    • Dec 2011

So after coming up with some drawings for the springer forks, I started collecting materials. I was able to score a set of NOS 29-31 Ford radius rods. I will keep the 39mm forks and wheel for another project. As soon I get the new rim I will lace up the spool hub with stainless spokes. I hope to share more details later this week after I get some of the individual pieces cut. I have a lot of work to do, but hopefully doing a full set of drawings will keep me on track.

Last edited by Shorty66; 01-15-2014, 7:17 PM.

Comment

• Shorty66
      • Dec 2011

This is the bottom side of the oil tank. Since the bottom of the tank wasn't parallel to the ground, I hammer formed a recess piece that I welded into the tank. I hammer formed the piece so that I would have one less weld seam to worry about. I set the piece in at a bias that allowed the supply bung to be straight up and down. I will be mounting the cap/bung and vent later.

Last edited by Shorty66; 01-15-2014, 6:51 PM.

Comment

• fightclub
        • Oct 2009

This is great, your build was tops on my interest list being. that it was a Trump. Please keep posting as you build. Stance is spot on man

Comment

• Shorty66
          • Dec 2011

Like I said I tried to fabricate as much as possible. The throttle is all hand fabricated. The inner shaft was welded into the bars. The throttle cam sleeve has a bronze bushing, so the action is pretty smooth. The assembly is held on by the brass plug. I haven't tried it with a grip on the assembly. Not sure how well it will work with a closed grip end.

Last edited by Shorty66; 01-15-2014, 6:55 PM.

Comment

• Shorty66
            • Dec 2011

I welded plate steel together to make an I-beam structure for the kickstand. Not much else to say other than I think it turned out nice.

The clutch lever started as a repro aluminum unit. I didn't care for the clamp and decided to take a stab at an integrated mount. The mount is one piece of 1/8" steel that I folded and hammered into submission. It's a keeper.
            Last edited by Shorty66; 01-15-2014, 6:57 PM.

Comment

• Shorty66
              • Dec 2011

Sorry about screwing the photos up. Hopefully I have it figured out.

Comment

• Shorty66
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by fightclub
                This is great, your build was tops on my interest list being. that it was a Trump. Please keep posting as you build. Stance is spot on man
                Thanks vey much. I appreciate the feedback.

Comment

• AMFshovelheads
                  • Dec 2012

amazing fabrication skills!! I voted for ya

Comment

• LoudPipesSaveLives
                    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by AMFshovelheads
                    amazing fabrication skills!! I voted for ya
                    I agree! Beautiful work. Subscribed!!!

Comment

• mlc216
                      • Apr 2024

Looks awesome. Did you make the fender?

Comment

• Shorty66
                        • Dec 2011

Thanks for the cool comments. The fender is a Gasbox that I narrowed by 1 inch and hammered the rolled edge. I will try to share more pics and details on the bike tomorrow.

Comment

• Nosebleed
                          • Mar 2010

Wow! That fender really is beautiful, and the integrated clutch lever mount? Outta sight!

Bravo, my good man!

Edit: Hey, I just noticed the handlebar risers in the photo there. What's up with those? Don't think I've ever seen anything like that, but then again I don't follow British bikes either.
                          Last edited by Nosebleed; 01-17-2014, 8:14 PM.

Comment

• Shorty66
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Nosebleed
                            Wow! That fender really is beautiful, and the integrated clutch lever mount? Outta sight!

Bravo, my good man!

Edit: Hey, I just noticed the handlebar risers in the photo there. What's up with those? Don't think I've ever seen anything like that, but then again I don't follow British bikes either.
                            Thanks! The risers are Triumph P-clamps. I like them because they are simple and clean. i had to make some adapter pieces to use them with the Mullins Trees. I can take a pic when I get a chance.

Comment

• Shorty66
                              • Dec 2011

Here is the P-clamp with shims and adapters.
                              Last edited by Shorty66; 01-19-2014, 1:19 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;