Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ato
    • Oct 2010

How to: Get that death trap legal

So I'm sure someone has posted this somewhere but I just wanted to bring it up again since it worked for me today.
    Have PO write up a bill of sale for one pile of shit:
    Fill out one of these, can be gotten online TA-VD-119 http://dmv.vermont.gov/forms/drivers

Make sure you use the NADA value for taxes.
    And get one of these:

Now you maybe asking, hey dummy, I don't live in Vermont, why are you showing me this? Well I'll tell you, you rude prick, because through the magic of the postal service this works for out the state Jerks like yourself. Just mail the form in with the bill of sale and a check and you should get a plate back in a few weeks. The reason this works is because Vermont doesn't issue titles after 15 years, just registrations and doesn't have a residency requirement.
    Once you get the plates you need to get the vin checked by a cop but that doesn't have to be in Vermont then you will get the permanent registration. From here you can just run the green plate or take it into your dmv and get it registered in your home state. Just make sure they understand Vermont doesn’t do titles on old shit.
    Now for the disclaimer, I've seen this shit before and have known about it for a while but today I confirmed it with the lady at the dmv. Now she could be dead wrong but what she told me about allowing out of staters to plate vehicles pretty much lines up with what I have read on the interwebs.
    So to sum it all up, pay Vermont their due and they could give a fuck.
    Last edited by Ato; 08-16-2015, 6:01 AM.
  • bodmodmatt
    • Oct 2013

This will actually work in alot of states. No title required after 25 years in ga either.

Comment

• butcherchop2
      • Feb 2013

Just to be clear you don't need a vermont address to reg the vehicle

Comment

• Ato
        • Oct 2010

From what I've read, heard from the chick at the dmv and seen in person (met a Canadian a few months back on a ricerocket that had green plate but lived in Quebec) that it works.
        Last edited by Ato; 08-16-2015, 6:02 AM.

Comment

• LoudPipesSaveLives
          • Aug 2012

Cooool!

Thanks for this.

Comment

• FredoSNR
            • Jun 2010

Direct link to the form for anyone grumbling that it wasn't handed to you and had to take 3 seconds to find it (Me.)

So let's say for the sake of argument, I want to get a title with this, once I reregister it in my state or whatever, do I just apply for a lost title or is one issued with the new registration?
            Last edited by FredoSNR; 01-14-2014, 12:06 AM.

Comment

• Ato
              • Oct 2010

When you re-register it, if your state does titles they would just cut a new one and send it to you. You figure every time you buy or sell a vehicle or move to the state the dmv prints up a new title and charges you at least $50, this really isn't any different.
              Last edited by Ato; 08-16-2015, 6:03 AM.

Comment

• 72chrysler
                • Sep 2011

Good shit Ato -- I'm in the process of doing this with an old van, and meant to write something up, but I had no idea my frosty Queeb brethren would actually mail you a licence plate out of state.

To add to this -- if you live in a state which *REQUIRES* a title to register a vehicle, you take:
                1) the paperwork from Vermont, along with
                2) the form below, which shows (under "Vermont Titles" on page 2") that VT doesn't issue titles for vehicles older than 15 years

And you go into your local DMV, saying you just moved there and you'd like to get your car/bike legal.
                They may make you get it inspected (like here in Louisiana) and they may not. Either way, you're better off.

Comment

• Ato
                  • Oct 2010

Thanks for the extra info. I just realized I put 25 years not 15, I'll correct that. Also if the bike is under 300cc there seems to be no year require from what I read on the dmv website.
                  Last edited by Ato; 01-14-2014, 5:31 PM.

Comment

• daroberts3
                    • Dec 2012

Awesome, just awesome. gonna have to try this.
                    What about insurance? Does VT require proof of insurance at time of issuing license plate?
                    What are the fees for doing this?

Comment

• Ato
                      • Oct 2010

Nope, they didn't ask me shit about insurance. They made me do the NADA value on the xs since I didn't have a dealer appraisal. In total or was $90, $44 of that was for the reg.

Comment

• O2VW18T
                        • Mar 2013

So when i fill it out and do i put poor nada values and 6% did you send the check with the reg. or do you wait for a letter to be sent back then send them the money.

Comment

• Ato
                          • Oct 2010

You send the check with the form.

Comment

• Ato
                            • Oct 2010

Here is where I originally found out about this trick. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655441
                            You can read a bunch of stories here from around the country and maybe learn a few tricks along the way to make it smoother. The thread is a few years old so there is a lot of posts, but is regularly being updated with success stories.

Comment

• outlawTA
                              • Aug 2012

I love you.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;