CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 7 of 8 First ... 5678 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

At the tax office,same look of dismay as the clerk realizes this isn't the standard transaction.
    Gets supervisor involved.
    They of course wonder why I don't have a title or previous registration,so I have to explain.
    Go to filling out a few forms,then wonder why I don't have a 17 digit VIN.So I have to explain what the deputy had to say about about that.Clerk and supervisor confer,she finally says,eff it,just use that.
    So they start gathering up all my stuff and I'm asking,hey,do I get all that back?They say,no,it goes to Austin and they send you a title.
    And I'm saying,can I have my MSO back?No,it goes to Austin and turns into a title.
    See,I didn't even know that,as nobody tells you very much.
    Clerk grudgingly made me a copy of the MSO and also my Flyrite invoice.I don't expect to ever see the originals again.
    So,word to the wise,before you make that last trip to the tax office,it'd be very wise,IMO,for you to make your own copies of everything you turn in,as nobody tells you at any point before this that it all gets mailed to Austin.
    They said I should receive a title in 2-3 weeks.
    Last edited by GaryC58; 08-24-2016 at 6:28 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Nothing was ever said about a weight certificate by anyone involved.
    I did not show them the assembled vehicle title page at any time after the first DMV visit,and nobody asked for it.I filled out the forms they told me to fill out,and did exactly as they instructed.
    I'm sure I will either have a title soon,or a message from Austin about anything else they need.
    I will post again once this is known.

Get Adobe Flash player

So my advice,after having done this,is don't go to the tax office and get their packet.
    Find out which DMV office can assign VINs.That's the one you need.
    Download all the forms from the State of Texas website,if they are available,and they should be.
    Have an MSO for your frame.
    Do the parts bill of sale thing for your engine/tranny,and get the sellers name and address telephone and signature.
    Chain of possession is important.
    Keep your main receipts.

Do your legalization process in this order:

1.Get insurance on your chop
    2.Get a safety inspection
    3.Fill out Form VTR-63,component parts bill of sale
    4.Fill out Form VTR-61,rebuilt vehicle statement
    5.Get appointment with local auto theft task force,who will do your Form VTR-68A,take bike there with all of your paperwork
    6.Weight certificate?I was never asked.YMMV.
    7.Take a smartphone pic of your chop,which you will email to the clerk at DMV's computer
    8.Go to tax office and do registration
    9.Also at tax office,do Form 130-U,title application
    Make copies of everything.

There were a few extraneous forms given to me at tax office,such as proof the master tech did an inspection,and copy of title application.Just be sure you talk to the DMV that can assign VINs and be sure the paperwork I listed above is what they need to see.

In a nutshell,getting past the theft task force with your 68A is your ticket to continue.
    Then the DMV looks at it all and gives their blessing.
    Then the tax office sends all the paperwork to Austin,gives you a license plate,and gets the ball rolling for your title.

Good luck,and especially if you are in Texas,post your experience with this,and let us know if it was any different.
    Last edited by GaryC58; 08-24-2016 at 6:21 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

My bike is a '99 Sportster Chop.. On the title is says Flyrite Chopper (that's the frame) so because of this they want to inspect it before they give me a title in my name.. If I got the Vermont plate think I would be able to switch it over to my name in my state (Iowa) without getting inspected? Or should I just put on the speedo, mirrors, high low indicator light ect. Then take it all back off once I get my title? Thanks.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenbean View Post
    Thanks. Mailed it in last week....fingers crossed. So far the check hasn't cleared my bank acct.
    did this work for you?

Get Adobe Flash player

Today I received a clean blue Texas title for my scoot.
    I had hoped it would say Flyrite Scorcher on there, or Assembled From Parts, both of which I suggested to the tax office clerk. He giggled and saidI think I'll just call it home made.
    So that's what it says.
    VIN is the number Flyrite put on the frame, year model is 2016,make of vehicle is HMDE, body style is MC.
    Previous Owner is HOMEMADE.
    Owner is me.
    Blank where it says Weight.

All considered, I'd say it was a fairly easy process. But I had my ducks in a row. I'm betting that not having an MSO would make it tougher. And it seems like an inexact process-I'm thinking results could easily vary, depending on who you have to deal with.

It's all good though. Got a license plate and a title, that was the goal.
    Fun to ride something you built yourself.

Get Adobe Flash player

Looking for an update to vermont titling. Thinking about pulling the trigger on a shovelhead in ca with no title or reg but want to see if anyone's done this recently.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Filthasaur View Post
    Looking for an update to vermont titling. Thinking about pulling the trigger on a shovelhead in ca with no title or reg but want to see if anyone's done this recently.
    The Vermont thing turned out to be a pain for me. I went through Florida Fast Title, paid them like $300, got a title for my 49 in the mail two weeks later. Super easy.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by FredoSNR View Post
    The Vermont thing turned out to be a pain for me. I went through Florida Fast Title, paid them like $300, got a title for my 49 in the mail two weeks later. Super easy.
    How you do the Florida one?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by wagonmaster69 View Post
    How you do the Florida one?
    I called Florida Fast Title and filled out the paperwork they sent, sent in a bill of sale.

Get Adobe Flash player

anyone try this lately?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by CraiGORE View Post
    anyone try this lately?
    Kind of. I live in Vermont. To you, this seems sketch. To me, it's called going to the DMV.

Get Adobe Flash player

Check these websites out:

Vermont registration for bikes older than 20 years with no title or registration, can be used to obtain a title in other states:
    (You do not have to reside in Vermont. Definitely works, personal experience)
    http://www.chinonthetank.com/2016/03...orcycle-title/
    You can download needed forms.

Florida Fast Title:
    http://floridafasttitle.com/

I, also, heard something about getting a plate from South Dakota.

I suggest that you run the VIN online costs about 5 bucks to do it. I do know that Vermont will require you to have your VIN inspected, check with your local DMV or MVD to see where you can get this done. Louisiana is free, can't say about other states.

Oh, and when you change your registration to your state of choice, be sure to return your plate/s. They get touchy about that.

Get Adobe Flash player

registering your bike to the cases can very well get it impounded. unless perhaps you registered it as a 69 or older harley..

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by goldjockey60 View Post
    Ct requires an inspection from an out of state sale..no fender , signals, open belt ECT.,.AINT PASSIN ...Defeats the purpose doesn't it?
    Am I missing something here ?
    exactly. basicly your vin it needs to be in their computer prior to your application. this is also something fairly new. used to be just go down and have a vin check. now any vin check for certain year motorcycles gets the full monte inspection. you cant have mc's vin checked at the normal stations. it has to be at dmv. then again, there are some year specificatiobs i dont quite understand. anything 10years past doesnt need a title. but there is some crap about past owners and whatnot. i got my bsa registered before these rules, and i do have titles for many of my bikes except one.

Get Adobe Flash player

The bike that I registered has a 1994 883 Deluxe, that was modified to a hardtail, with a 2001 Buell S3 1200 engine. I ran the VINs, online, for both the frame and the engine. Both VINs are on the notarized bill of sale for the bike. I took the bike to the local State Police Barracks, where the VINs were inspected an signed off on. Here in the Swamplands, this is, also, where unregistered custom frames are also issued their VIN.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by HashbrownAvon68 View Post
    The question was about Vermont. You're bullshit is turning a useful thread into a self indulgent ramble about you. Go f up some other forum, Hashbrown

Get Adobe Flash player

Here's my plate, recently swapped it out for one from my home state, complete with registration and title.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VERMONT.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	254.6 KB 
ID:	88797

Of course I had to conceal the original plate numbers.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Avon aka Hashbrown68 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hash-brown-patties.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	88801
    Contribute. Please. Something. Beyond the multiple accounts and the meth problem.

Get Adobe Flash player

The only thing that I see you contributing is flames and false accusations. Must be an antifa democrat.

Share This