Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ClarkBrinkley
    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by ClarkBrinkley
    What did you guys put for VT Drivers License Number? Think I should leave it blank or put my Indiana one?

Also, do you send your check with the form when you send it in? Or do they send you something back that says how much you owe?
    To answer my own questions:

The guys on the Advrider thread says just to leave the VT DLN blank.

And the instruction pamphlet from the VT DMV website says that you have to include a money order or check with the form when you send it in. The fee for a 1 year motorcycle registration is $44 and then what ever tax you have on the value of your bike. So my total is $74 total. Gonna send my form, bill of sale, and money out and report back.

Comment

• SledKicker
      • May 2012

This is an awesome trick and I will probably end up using it in the future, but I wanted to urge caution to anyone else who may do it, since this COULD be seen as tax evasion and a felony. Be careful when doing this, and switch the bike to your local state asap.

Comment

• Ato
        • Oct 2010

It's tax evasion in the sense that getting a lowball bill of sale written is tax evasion. On that same line, Clark make sure like I mentioned before to use the NADA value, when I did mine that seemed like their biggest hangup and didn't want to hear anything about bill of sale price or the photos I showed off the above pile of shit.

Comment

• djturnz
          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by ClarkBrinkley
          To answer my own questions:

The guys on the Advrider thread says just to leave the VT DLN blank.

And the instruction pamphlet from the VT DMV website says that you have to include a money order or check with the form when you send it in. The fee for a 1 year motorcycle registration is $44 and then what ever tax you have on the value of your bike. So my total is $74 total. Gonna send my form, bill of sale, and money out and report back.
          From what I read in the 29 pages over there, people have called to inquire about the taxes and NADA value. They were told the value used to determine taxes must be at least $500 or it will get kicked back.

Comment

• Ato
            • Oct 2010

They valued my 1980 xs at over $700. To add to the $500 thing, the dmv gave me a form that I could have a dealer appraisal to lower the dmv assessment, but right on the form it says the value of $500 minimum will be used even if the dealer assessed it lower. I'll go out to the garage in a bit to check out any otherwise fine print mentioned.

Comment

• ClarkBrinkley
              • Nov 2012

I put down $500 for the price of mine. It's a 71 CB750 and NADA says it's worth $1180, and that's probably pretty close.

If they don't like the $500 won't they just kick back my paperwork and make me fix it? I'm not in a hurry for it or anything. Surely they'd have to send back my money too.

Comment

• JMFNC
                • May 2011

Originally posted by SevenxTemp
                Got damn, I've got a 1959 150cc Vespa that I've had sit in pieces in my house for the past 11-12 years and have just never wanted to title it because I knew it would be such a pain in the ass without a bill of sale. The guy I got it off ended up doing a shit ton of drugs while I was down in Florida and I never saw him again.
                I always used to say I bought from a farmer at the swap meet in a box of parts and that I only had a bill of sale. Worked for a lambretta that was fresh off the boat from Italy also. The last time was about 12 years ago, no idea how hard it is now though.

Comment

• Drake9
                  • Jan 2010

What do you put in the milage if it is a pile with no speedo like in the picture? Wonder how that will go over with the VIN inspection.

Comment

• Ato
                    • Oct 2010

I left it blank and told them it was missing the spedo, but the said the last owner told me it had xxxx miles, they were cool with that.

Comment

• joshtattooer
                      • Aug 2013

So, do I send in the $44 with the form or wait to hear back from em? I've got it all filled out and ready to go. Anyone else on here do this yet?

Comment

• ScarTissue
                        • Apr 2024

Just a word of caution... I've heard on the interwebs that in some (most? all?) states the 5-0 will impound your scoot if you get pinched and have it registered in a different state that your drivers license. Don't know if that's true or not... just throwing it out there.

Comment

• Ato
                          • Oct 2010

Definitely not true. While it's possible that some states could have some kind of civil penalty, seizing a vehicle isn't going to happen.

Comment

• ScarTissue
                            • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Ato
                            Definitely not true. While it's possible that some states could have some kind of civil penalty, seizing a vehicle isn't going to happen.
                            Good to hear... thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

• FredoSNR
                              • Jun 2010

Has anyone had luck doing this with a special construction?

Comment

• horsebite
                                • Oct 2013

This worked last week on my shovel project. My Paughco frame and Delkron cases left me with no HD numbers. Here in CA, the DMV sent me in a tailspin that included faxing paperwork to some number and dealing with several trips between the DMV and CHP. I tried the Vermont route via mail and my plates arrived in a couple weeks. I used the Delkron vin and "bill of sale," and now my bike is plated. If the cops run my plate the bike will come back to my name. I'll eventually sort out the CA reg process but at least I can roll for now.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;