CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 3 of 8 First 12345 ... Last

Just a word of caution... I've heard on the interwebs that in some (most? all?) states the 5-0 will impound your scoot if you get pinched and have it registered in a different state that your drivers license. Don't know if that's true or not... just throwing it out there.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Definitely not true. While it's possible that some states could have some kind of civil penalty, seizing a vehicle isn't going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ato View Post
    Definitely not true. While it's possible that some states could have some kind of civil penalty, seizing a vehicle isn't going to happen.
    Good to hear... thanks for clearing that up.

Get Adobe Flash player

Has anyone had luck doing this with a special construction?

Get Adobe Flash player

This worked last week on my shovel project. My Paughco frame and Delkron cases left me with no HD numbers. Here in CA, the DMV sent me in a tailspin that included faxing paperwork to some number and dealing with several trips between the DMV and CHP. I tried the Vermont route via mail and my plates arrived in a couple weeks. I used the Delkron vin and "bill of sale," and now my bike is plated. If the cops run my plate the bike will come back to my name. I'll eventually sort out the CA reg process but at least I can roll for now.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by horsebite View Post
    This worked last week on my shovel project. My Paughco frame and Delkron cases left me with no HD numbers. Here in CA, the DMV sent me in a tailspin that included faxing paperwork to some number and dealing with several trips between the DMV and CHP. I tried the Vermont route via mail and my plates arrived in a couple weeks. I used the Delkron vin and "bill of sale," and now my bike is plated. If the cops run my plate the bike will come back to my name. I'll eventually sort out the CA reg process but at least I can roll for now.
    That's awesome that it worked out for you. Out of curiosity, did you find out about that trick from this thread or was it somewhere else?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by horsebite View Post
    What does the make say on the registration?

Get Adobe Flash player

So, what did you mean about "Once you get the plates you need to get the vin checked by a cop" ? .. I mean, do I have to take it down to the PD and get it inspected? .... because I have a basketcase that is in 500 pieces.. can I just take down the leftside case?

Or, on the otherhand, did you mean that I just need to make sure the VIN isn't reported stolen?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    So, what did you mean about "Once you get the plates you need to get the vin checked by a cop" ? .. I mean, do I have to take it down to the PD and get it inspected? .... because I have a basketcase that is in 500 pieces.. can I just take down the leftside case?

Or, on the otherhand, did you mean that I just need to make sure the VIN isn't reported stolen?
    Vermont doesn't give a shit about old bikes so if your bike meets the age requirements they will send you a plate and 1 year sticker. If you choose to get the bike registered in your state that's when a vin inspection might be needed, but that would depend on the state.

Get Adobe Flash player

The only real area you could run into trouble is that Vermont does require a yearly safety inspection, but I'm not sure if out of state cops would know that or can even ticket for it. Regardless you would just eat the fine.
    Last edited by Ato; 08-16-2015 at 6:08 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

FYI, as said before, the one-year registration for a motorcycle is $44 but if you try this for an auto, it's $70... there's a table on page 4 of this link: http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fil...structions.pdf

Get Adobe Flash player

About to give this a try. One question, does the BOS need to be notarized? In CO I had to do a bonded title once and they required it to be. Otherwise, couldn't I "buy" my bike from some phone book name?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by xbmxxx View Post
    About to give this a try. One question, does the BOS need to be notarized? In CO I had to do a bonded title once and they required it to be. Otherwise, couldn't I "buy" my bike from some phone book name?
    Nope, it can be on a used piece of toilet paper for all they care as long as it has the information they want, vin, mileage, color, year, price paid, name and address of seller and signature. Mine was on a scrap piece of lined paper and they couldn't have cared less.
    Last edited by Ato; 08-16-2015 at 6:09 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Has anybody done this and then got a title in their state?

Get Adobe Flash player

Post 45 confirms it. Also if you go to the first page with the avriders link I posted, countless dudes got this to work.

Get Adobe Flash player

Man, it looks like this would work for cars too. Awesome

Get Adobe Flash player

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR:

Call the vermont DMV and get the exact amount for the check you are supposed to send. Their book value is very specific and the check needs to be correct or you wait 10 business days for nothing. I just got a reg application sent back to me because somehow I was $1.40 off for the registration fee. I called them and they said the bike was valued at $500, and their tax rate is %6. normally I would think that the tax would then be $30, but somehow it was $31.40 and they bounced my papers.

Call the vermont DMV, and yes the line might be busy a few times before the call actually goes through. Tell them what bike you have and ask them how much to make the check out for exactly. They will use their weird vermont calculator and tell you what to send and in 10 days you'll get a plate.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah I tried to stress that in my initial post, VT wants their money and they don't care what you think the fair value is.

anybody have that phone number handy?

Get Adobe Flash player

PM me tomorrow night if you can't find it to remind me, I have a few of the forms at home. I'm not there atm and I'm not sure is on there but I can check.

Share This