Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trickedoutms
    • Jan 2011

Buell XB Softail Build

Well I have finally got around to really getting going on my build after a number of years. Here are the specs so far and some pictures of how its starting out. Some details on the frame will change once its in my hands. Well I hope it comes together and anyone with any help on some of my unknowns i appreciate it. Thanks

Specs of Parts I have:

- PB Customs softail mono shock frame stock rake no stretch
    - 2003 Buell XB9r Engine
    - 2003 GSX-R 1000 Forks and Triple Trees
    - 2003 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 gold front brake calipers-
    - 2003 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 dual 300mm floating rotors
    - All Balls Racing Stem Bearing Upgrade
    - 520 Front Chain Sprocket
    - Buell 1125R Rear wheel with 180 tire
    - Vortex Rear 48 tooth Sprocket for chain conversion Conversion
    - Stock Buell 1125R Rear Rotor
    - QA1 Aluma Matic Coil-Over Shock
    - 600lb Swift Racing Spring

Here is a pic you can see more on my FB Page: TOMS

Specs of Parts I Need:

- Fuel Tank Similar to Beautiful loser or Gas Monkees Fred
    - A adjustable ignition of sorts (TBD)
    - Fuller or Some type of carb manifold for Mikuni (TBD)
    - 2003 GSX-R 1000 Rear Caliper
    - Brembo Clutch lever or 2003 GSX-R 1000
    - Brembo Brake Master and Lever or 2003 GSX-R 1000
    - May Use Clip on (TBD)
    - Seat (TBD)

Here is a drawing of The Front 21" custom Buell XB style wheel:

- I am looking into who will be able to make the wheel for me (I designed a website for a wheel builder and he never made me the wheel so i am stuck currently)
  • 53Bash
    • Jan 2013

- 2003 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 gold front brake calipers-
    - 2003 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 dual 300mm floating rotors
    - drawing of The Front 21" custom Buell XB style wheel:
    I may have missed something, but from the looks of it I don't think those things would mix well. Seems you might run into the same issue BMW did with this wheel; the stress in the spokes down by the hub causes them to fatigue, then crack, then sheer off unexpectedly while braking...

The Buell XB front wheel runs a perimeter mounted front rotor, which means the front wheel doesn't need to transmit torque from the hub to the rim. As such, EB made the spokes really thin and didn't put any webbing between them. Looks awesome, and saves some unsprung mass to improve handling. BUT, if you take take the same design and run a hub mounted brake rotor on it, you are asking for wheel failures like BMW's. Of course, you could run some FEA program, determine the stress involved, and beef up the spokes to take it, but that means a bunch more rotating mass slowing you down every time you crack open the throttle (and putting strain on the brakes). A better solution would be to look at the REAR wheels on the XB's, and do your spokes like those (which means some webbing between them, which is a more efficient use of material than thick spokes). That, or figure out a perimeter brake setup like EB used.

Comment

• Bukwild
      • Oct 2012

most everything you need on your parts list will be available on ebay for the used gsxr 1000 all day long for next to nothing. Good luck with the build I love where this is headed

Comment

• trickedoutms
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by 53Bash
        I may have missed something, but from the looks of it I don't think those things would mix well. Seems you might run into the same issue BMW did with this wheel; the stress in the spokes down by the hub causes them to fatigue, then crack, then sheer off unexpectedly while braking...

The Buell XB front wheel runs a perimeter mounted front rotor, which means the front wheel doesn't need to transmit torque from the hub to the rim. As such, EB made the spokes really thin and didn't put any webbing between them. Looks awesome, and saves some unsprung mass to improve handling. BUT, if you take take the same design and run a hub mounted brake rotor on it, you are asking for wheel failures like BMW's. Of course, you could run some FEA program, determine the stress involved, and beef up the spokes to take it, but that means a bunch more rotating mass slowing you down every time you crack open the throttle (and putting strain on the brakes). A better solution would be to look at the REAR wheels on the XB's, and do your spokes like those (which means some webbing between them, which is a more efficient use of material than thick spokes). That, or figure out a perimeter brake setup like EB used.

Yes today i had big conversation about the wheel size and the brakes, well breaking the wheel. As I am not a 3d designer i havent had it made into a solid works or cad file which i know the spoke design will have to change based on stress tests. The direction that most likely rolland sands had on a wheel similar and it has webbing to give it the strength it needs. The rear wheel on the bike is the buell one it is pretty rugged and cut outs so I could go with a filled area between the spokes and it probably would look good. The weight thing might be an issue as well so I have another concept which would be a supermoto style wheel. Like a nice aluminum maybe gold or black rim with black or a contrasting color but I am not rich so i have to make good choices...so tbd

thanks

Thanks for the technical approach and advise I appreciate it.

Comment

• trickedoutms
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Bukwild
          most everything you need on your parts list will be available on ebay for the used gsxr 1000 all day long for next to nothing. Good luck with the build I love where this is headed
          Thanks and Yah EBAY RULES lol.....I look forward to getting things rolling and hope I can over come any technical issues that arise I am back to thinking about wheels again.

Comment

• trickedoutms
            • Jan 2011

Well I have some progress:

Comment

• okkomatz
              • Apr 2014

The frame looks like it's going in the right direction!

Comment

• trickedoutms
                • Jan 2011

Thanks this is taking a bit longer than i thought, learning curve and money are keeping me from riding lol

Comment

• Dethklok
                  • Jan 2014

Looking awesome man can't wait to see her done!

Comment

• trickedoutms
                    • Jan 2011

Again thanks and here are a couple more pics

Comment

• puzpounda
                      • Apr 2024

Looks great man it's going to be a sweet and fast ride!

Comment

• trickedoutms
                        • Jan 2011

Thanks, I wish i could dedicate some time and money towards it soon...

Comment

• unfinishedprojects
                          • Jun 2012

Whatever happened to this build?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;