CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Same cost as what?
    For carb conversion you need carb, manifold and seals, Thunderheart Mod, coil(?). What else? Maybe some other wiring, choke cable, an air filter kit. Plus someone's time to install and tune it. This is all pretty pricey stuff.
    Is it cheaper than an ECM? Maybe. Maybe not. Definitely more expensive than a TPS, ISC, ETS, CPS or MAP sensor. A lot more.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by daroberts3 View Post
    Same cost as what?

For carb conversion you need carb, manifold and seals, Thunderheart Mod, coil(?). What else? Maybe some other wiring, choke cable, an air filter kit. Plus someone's time to install and tune it. This is all pretty pricey stuff.

Is it cheaper than an ECM? Maybe. Maybe not. Definitely more expensive than a TPS, ISC, ETS, CPS or MAP sensor. A lot more.

Not if u have a bunch of rad friends! Either way I will never go back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get Adobe Flash player

Also with lack of all the computer stuff and gigantic wiring harness I can pinpoint an issue way faster. With and efi u need codes and I haven't been able to check for codes in yrs. America

Get Adobe Flash player

All the DTC's are easily found on the internet, and often accompanied by diagnostic procedures. I think it goes against the DIY state of cycling to to do shotgun diagnostic parts replacement. Bike runs poorly so just replace everything.?
    REALLY rad friends can troubleshoot and repair EFI!

Get Adobe Flash player

What do you guys think about me using a s&s super e on my 88 twinkster? Or do you think I should go with the mikuni?

Get Adobe Flash player

I went over 4 possible could be's before I swapped, being I have no hand controls or speedo I couldn't see codes. But by the power of google I read 4 different things and went through one by one so I wouldn't call that shotgun. A tilt sensor costs as much as an ignition and all together spent $400. Also how's it go against your "DIY" ethics or code when I completely stripped my bike down to just the charging system, crank sensor, motor and the rewired the whole damn thing adding a ignition module and two breakers? I'm pretty stoked on what I've done!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by cwest View Post
    What do you guys think about me using a s&s super e on my 88 twinkster? Or do you think I should go with the mikuni?

Either one works it's up to you and what you wanna spend... I almost picked up a super e but I already had jets n such for a cv that a buddy gave me.

Get Adobe Flash player

ya my buddy has a nice s&s super e. and I can get it on super homeboy discount lol.

Get Adobe Flash player

So finished the conversion! Took minimal tuning and she runs perfect!
    I'm really blown away on the change in sound of the motor running.

Get Adobe Flash player

Made the swap on my sporty a while back using a super e and thunder heart... Love the TH ignition but the super e is a bitch to tune... It's simple in function but seems to have a mind of it's own.
    I'd stick with a mikuni or a used CV.

Get Adobe Flash player

I wouldn't give up EFI on my trucks, but on a primitive twin cylinder motorcycle I'd have no attachment to it if it malfunctioned. I don't need EFI on my lawnmower either.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    I wouldn't give up EFI on my trucks, but on a primitive twin cylinder motorcycle I'd have no attachment to it if it malfunctioned. I don't need EFI on my lawnmower either.
    Yup!

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't know about y'all but the only bitch I'm having is getting proper airflow. I put a mooneyes on and it's running rich in my rear cylinder and I get a sweet gun shot between 2-3.. Gonna try a less dense filter and see if that helps

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by meatfarts View Post
    Yup!

Btw gonna put that air cleaner on you sent down I'm thinking.. Just talked to a buddy and he had the same problem with a mooneyes

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    I sometimes service lawnmowers and lawn tractors in my shop. John Deere has had EFI o some lawn tractors well before the MoCo did. Some Husqvarna zero turn commercial units have EFI which works excellent.
    S+S carbs are notoriously erratic operators. One day runs great, next day doesn't want to start and belches flames out the exhaust. Mikuni is far better choice.
    Doing this EFI to carb swap is just trading one processor(computer) for another. That Ignition module is just as likely to fail as an EFI sensor.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by cwest View Post
    I have the Mikuni on my TC88, highly recommend it. My bike has never run better.

gruntasaurus

Quote Originally Posted by daroberts3 View Post
    All the DTC's are easily found on the internet, and often accompanied by diagnostic procedures. I think it goes against the DIY state of cycling to to do shotgun diagnostic parts replacement. Bike runs poorly so just replace everything.?
    REALLY rad friends can troubleshoot and repair EFI!
    I sure hope that I can get internet on the side of the road when my ecu wants to start throwing codes at me.

Get Adobe Flash player

As far as the whole EFI - carb debate I came to a conclusion when I swapped out the EFI on my Road King. Yes, EFI is fantastic and totally tunable and I really tried to keep the system installed. But, I had a fuel line go bad, (HD only part and cost $200 for a fucking rubber hose with a fancy fitting). So, it came down to cost. A Mikuni HSR42 total kit and a dyna 2000 ignition module and a couple other parts ran me about $800 total to install. Also, adjusting a Mikuni carb requires a screwdriver and a small wrench, (cost of $5). Adjusting the EFI requires the use of a Scanalizer, EFI harness, Breakout box and a bunch of other gizmo's which would add about $4000 worth of gear to my toolbox. So, for me is was simply about the cost of maintenance and modifications. Yes, once the EFI is set up it's basically done but sensors do fail and the system does require the occasional adjustment and the dealership or a shop that has the equipment is usually closed or unavailable when I need work done unless I have the equipment. Also, I love touring and really hate the idea of spending the night in some podunk town waiting for a shop to open or waiting for a component to be shipped to my location. My skill set is very broad and does include EFI knowledge, but messing with a carb is just easier, (which I've never had to do on any of my trips BTW). My friend had a throttle position sensor fail on one of our last trips and it basically rendered the bike dead on the road until we could get to a dealership or a shop to obtain a new one and move on.

Get Adobe Flash player

After working in a multibrand used car lot I'm fine with "swaptronics" to fix fuel systems, but that means having a stash of appropriate spares to install for troubleshooting. It's cheap enough if you scrounge just like anything else.

If I had a happy EFI system with happy wiring I'd leave it in place. Were it severely unhappy or if I wanted to simplify things I'd carb it. Not enough difference to matter to me either way and I don't care about fuel mileage or I'd run a different motorcycle like the airhead BMW I just sold.

Adjusting the EFI requires the use of a Scanalizer, EFI harness, Breakout box and a bunch of other gizmo's which would add about $4000 worth of gear to my toolbox.
    I could get another FXR for that. I'd rather have the bike than the gear.

But, I had a fuel line go bad, (HD only part and cost $200 for a fucking rubber hose with a fancy fitting).
    If the fittings aren't horked one could buy some EFI hose and crimp ferrules or clamps then have at it. My bud fixed a seeping fuel tank disconnect by brushing Kreem fuel tank sealant on the fitting then plugging it in.

I sure hope that I can get internet on the side of the road when my ecu wants to start throwing codes at me.
    Have a service manual .pdf on your phone. I do, and of course ya have internet anywhere there is cell coverage.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by artizinn View Post
    Everything can fail yes but when u can swap over for the same cost why the hell not?

Because EFI makes more power, is more reliable and can run well nearly anywhere without fucking around with jetting. Us old fucks love to reminisce about the glory days of big block muscle cars, but truth be told, the average Camry of today will smoke the living fuck out of all but the very baddest of them. There's a reason for that. It's called technology.

Share This