CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default XS650 Build - My first chopper!

Greetings. My name is Andrew and I am from Bedfordshire, U.K. I have been building this bike for a few months and taking some photo's along the way, and I always meant to start a build thread, so here it is.

So, my first step into custom bikes was an old cb650 i picked up cheap. I attempted to turn into some kind of brat thing, but lost direction and interest, and ended up giving it to a mate who has pretty much finished it. It is his first bike and I will be stoked to see it on the road! So after that I picked up a sportster as a daily rider which I made a few mods to, but I always knew i wanted a proper project. I checked ebay everyday for months on end until eventually an XS650 came up for sale just down the road, and for good money. I made the deal on it that afternoon and picked it up later that week.

I will apologise beforehand for the bad quality photo's!

Here it is the day I brought it home...

..gave it a quick clean...

..then stripped it down and cut it in half...

..and put on a Tc Bro's hardtail.

I also removed the factory neck gussets. I did make some other gussets which i tacked in, but i don't really like them, and will be changing them at a later date.

Get Adobe Flash player

I really didn't like the stock front motor mount, and after attempting to make something really overcomplicated, decided to just chop up the stock one.

Before:

After :

I sure it will look alright once its painted!

I then stripped the forks to shave them. Just waiting on some new tubes as the old ones are bent beyond repair. Luckily I scored a set of extended forks with the bike which I can use for mock up until I rebuild my stock length forks. I also got a good deal on an xs rear spoked wheel, and had an old 21" dirt wheel wheel lying around which I will also use for mockup, until I find an xs front wheel.

I then bought an axed tank, 7 Metal West fender and a Biltwell Slimline seat. A mate told me you should make the seat to fit the frame, and now I know why. The Biltwell seat on the tc bros hardtail just looked wrong!

The problem was, I really liked the seat! So instead of ditching it, I decided to change the frame to fit! I cut out the seat tubes and bent up some new ones. Problem was, I only have a 1" die for my tube bender, so I had to use 1" tube. However, the change in tube sizes doesn't notice much, and I am much happier with the seat now. It also gave me another chance to tidy up the welding where the hardtail didn't fit up to the backbone very well.

Here it is with the seat, tank and fender mounted.

Looking nice and slim!

Get Adobe Flash player

Sissy bar time! Bent up some bar and turned some bungs on the lathe. Pretty happy with it for my first attempt!

Then I sorted out the rear brake. Made a new stay and rod. Unfortunately I haven't got any more pictures of the set up, and I still need to make a brake pedal.

Get Adobe Flash player

Good call on reshaping the rear, deffinitly looks a lot better. I'm looking forward to see where you go with this since I'll be starting my XS chop in the coming weeks once my hardtail arrives.

Get Adobe Flash player

That pretty much brings this build thread up to date! I started on the exhaust today. Everything is just tacked on, and I still need to extend the upsweeps and make mounts. Looking at the TC Bros exhaust kit, I didn't think I would be able to make this exhaust without having to buy extra tube, but I have managed it and couldn't be happier!

That's all for now! Will hopefully make more progress and post more photo's tomorrow! Got to have this thing ready for spring!

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks great man, really like the exhaust

mlc216

Looks excellent! Push those fork tubes down and let us see what it would look like ridin high!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by mlc216 View Post
    Looks excellent! Push those fork tubes down and let us see what it would look like ridin high!
    I'm curious too, although the stance it has now is working for me.

Get Adobe Flash player

Sorry, but i didn't have enough time to play with the forks today! I have slid them up before, but didnt really like the stance much. Finished welding the exhaust today. Still need to make mounts though.

Also took a pic of the rear brake pedal set up. I will be making a new pedal though, just need to get some more oxy first.

Started making some stainless pegs today to replace those cheap cast ones. They are a similar style, but i forgot to take photo's. Will post some when they are finished.

Get Adobe Flash player

This thing is looking pretty cool.

zagger

Any thoughts of making a couple of mufflers so you and your neighbors don't go deaf? Or maybe you are going to get TC muffies?
    zag
    Last edited by zagger; 12-16-2013 at 6:16 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Can't wait to hear this thing run.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by zagger View Post
    Any thoughts of making a couple of mufflers so you and your neighbors don't go deaf? Or maybe you are going to get TC muffies?
    zag
    Hey mom I didn't know you were a member of the 33.

Get Adobe Flash player

Looking good and great call on redoing those seat rails... Exhaust is cool.

Get Adobe Flash player

Cheers guys. I'm not putting any mufflers on the exhaust, but maybe some baffles in there. Haven't really thought that far ahead. Unfortunately I need to go back and adjust one of the bends in the pipe. When looking from above, the top pipe is supposed to run directly over the bottom, but its slightly out of line. I thought it wouldn't notice, but now its fucking with my head and needs changing.

zagger

"Hey mom I didn't know you were a member of the 33. "

Son, is that you?
    My opinion is that straight pipes blow in every way:
    noise is too much which pisses off folks who then demand crackdowns and law changes to limit bike noise (not much new there), and open pipes usually produce poor power unless the carbs are set up to just puke gas in to counteract the unrestricted flow out the exhaust since the intake valves start opening while the piston is still rising on the exhaust stroke.

And WTF ANYWAY? Who needs to listen to that crap - other riders probably have ear plugs in anyway so they won't be impressed! I wear plugs when I'm riding so that my sweetie can still whisper sweet nothings to me at home and I can still hear them! Awww.

So I suggest that lovechild might want to man up and design and build some nice small muffies that reduce the pain level and make the engine run a bit better. Or not. I ain't the cops and I won't be riding with him.
    zag
    Last edited by zagger; 12-16-2013 at 10:05 PM.

zagger

Quote Originally Posted by lovechild View Post
    Cheers guys. I'm not putting any mufflers on the exhaust, but maybe some baffles in there. Haven't really thought that far ahead. Unfortunately I need to go back and adjust one of the bends in the pipe. When looking from above, the top pipe is supposed to run directly over the bottom, but its slightly out of line. I thought it wouldn't notice, but now its fucking with my head and needs changing.
    Mr. lovechild,
    I see zero benefit in creating a ton of noise. Unless you are gonna make this puppy run super rich, unrestricted pipes will make less torque and power while providing you with anger from other riders who don't want to go deaf and attention from the cops. I'm guessing that the cops in the UK are even less enthusiastic about straight pipes than ours are! IMO, open pipes are just a cheap-ass gimmick to "sound like a race machine" when a true race machine has totally different carbs and cams to actually use the increased airflow.
    But, I ain't your mama so if you want to go deaf while riding slow - please feel free to do so.
    zag

Get Adobe Flash player

Dang! Someone has had them selves a big old glass of hater-aid today. Let the man build the bike how he wants. Just cause you dont like straight pipes doesnt mean you have to come and piss on someone elses build.

I myself like my louder pipes. I do have very short baffles in mine that while they didnt quiet it down much, got rid of the nice little flat spot in my mid range. I can still hear my passenger on my bike and his pipes are much longer and out back further then mine and I have yet to have a single person complain about the noise of my 4 banger even at 8k RPM going down the interstate. Hell, 3/4 of the people I ride with have way louder bikes then mine and I dont think any of us have gotten a single complaint about the noise from people. Then again, We ride respectfully in residential areas when it comes to noise. Now out on the open road... Fair game!

As for me, I love them pipes and cant would love to hear what they look like!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by zagger View Post
    "Hey mom I didn't know you were a member of the 33. "

Son, is that you?
    My opinion is that straight pipes blow in every way:
    noise is too much which pisses off folks who then demand crackdowns and law changes to limit bike noise (not much new there), and open pipes usually produce poor power unless the carbs are set up to just puke gas in to counteract the unrestricted flow out the exhaust since the intake valves start opening while the piston is still rising on the exhaust stroke.

And WTF ANYWAY? Who needs to listen to that crap - other riders probably have ear plugs in anyway so they won't be impressed! I wear plugs when I'm riding so that my sweetie can still whisper sweet nothings to me at home and I can still hear them! Awww.

So I suggest that lovechild might want to man up and design and build some nice small muffies that reduce the pain level and make the engine run a bit better. Or not. I ain't the cops and I won't be riding with him.
    zag
    Go away man. Since your not the cops stop acting like it. Since your not riding with him stop caring.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

zagger

Quote Originally Posted by junkyardxl View Post
    Go away man. Since your not the cops stop acting like it. Since your not riding with him stop caring.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    whatever. Love and suckage won't bring back his torque or horsepower and since he lives in the UK, not on my street, I don't personally care how annoyingly loud he is. So chill. Besides pointing out that loud pipes annoy everyone not wearing earplugs and bring cop attention (duh!) the actual engine performance is reduced. You are on the wrong side of this pissing match and not a help - but then I don't actually care about your motherly concern. I'd just like to see the newbie build something that doesn't result in his arrest! I'm not his nanny, or yours, but I do care about guys who actually devote the time and effort to build stuff. Hugs and kisses from WI.
    zag

Share This