CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Evo Sportster Starter Delete Plate?

Alright so I just installed Ledsleds kicker kit, and my next install is a joe hunt mag and battery eliminator. I am getting rid of my starter cause I dont want one for this bike.

My question is should I just make a plate that bolts on where the starter was?

And if you know of anyone who has done it please point me in there direction.

Ive only seen the Kicker, Magneto, Eliminator combo done by ledsled on one of there bikes

AND IM NOT HERE FOR OPINIONS ABOUT WHY IM DELETING MY STARTER so dont comment if thats all you got

Cheers
    -Zach

Get Adobe Flash player

This is gonna be rad! I would assume a plate would work just fine to seal the hole. Good luck man!

Get Adobe Flash player

I wonder what I would take to seal ur trap door off, turn ur speedo sending unit into a fill cap and then run ur primary open. That'd be fuckin rad, then u oils cut your starter ear off ur trans mount all together. Hell if you don't have a starter that whole section on the top of ur primary is kinda useless. I'm anxious to see what you come up with, I'd be tempted to cut that whole top section off and slim that primary down some, or run it open all together.

Get Adobe Flash player

Just make a nice plate and hold it on with some stainless Allen bolts (use locknuts on the inside to ensure no loose hardware in your primary). Back before buying blockoff plates was standard for big twins we just made a cardboard pattern then cut and filed 'em out of aluminum.

Let us know how the kicker kit parts do over time, including wear areas and if the arm and pedal hold up or if they bend like Taiwan Ted garbage.

I wouldn't remove the ability to bolt on a starter in future in case Something Happens to your knee.

I really like kickers but had to retrofit electric starters while my knee heals. Knees are easy to damage, and something simple as wrasslin' a fat girl can throw them out.

Get Adobe Flash player

You could make an aluminum plate with blind thread holes and use the stock bolt through design. Also you could machine a 'puck' on the inside part of plate, cut an o-ring groove into it to seal in the oil.
    You could go to the auto parts store and buy a large welch plug for the holes also.

Get Adobe Flash player

The welch plug idea is cool.

Brass plugs aren't expensive if you want one.

Measure the diameter carefully since that hole may be closer to a metric size than an inch size.

You could also use an expanding plug but replace the nut and washer with stainless for sex appeal. A stainless acorn could cover the end threads. They last for many years in hot coolant so life on a primary would be easy.

Get Adobe Flash player

Ok so it sounds like a few of you think that a plate will work fine. I think what I will end up doing is just using the hardware that the starter bolted in with and just make a cardboard outline and get a nice piece of aluminum to cut. I will probably just make it so the threads dont go all the way through the plate to avoid leakage and keep a cleaner look. I think I might just use the gasket as well i dont see why it would leak if I had that on. However I do think I might run some sort of fancy oil bag in that area, maybe a vertical one so im sure it will get hidden.

I do agree that an open primary would be badass, Hell it might even not have been done with a kick, mag, and eliminator. But for now im guna just keep the cover, maybe in the future though once I get the bike working

As far as the kicker kit, it does seem solid, the kit does come with everything you need, and I have to admit it was fairly easy to install. Im 19 years old this is my first motorcycle build and I was able to take apart the primary and tranny, press out the old shaft, press in the new one and put it all back together with not much hassle. Id say the snap rings separating the gears on the tranny were the most pain in the ass. (so for the average DIYer id say its pretty sweet)

Also Im going to make a build thread for this bike today so check it out and feel free to help me out along the way

Cheers
    -Zach

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    The welch plug idea is cool.

Brass plugs aren't expensive if you want one.

Measure the diameter carefully since that hole may be closer to a metric size than an inch size.

You could also use an expanding plug but replace the nut and washer with stainless for sex appeal. A stainless acorn could cover the end threads. They last for many years in hot coolant so life on a primary would be easy.
    I do like the expanding plug idea! that seems pretty simple. Any idea where I could grab one of those quick?

Get Adobe Flash player

Here's some part numbers to take with ya.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/c-354-...al-rubber.aspx

Dorman products are good quality and very commonly available at decent auto stores or better hardware stores. You want the largest you can slip in before tightening the nut to expand it. No need to go apeshit with the wrench, just tighten it snugly.

Get Adobe Flash player

fuckin mag'd and kicker only sporty.....jealous!

Share This