Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wompin
    • May 2012

883 to 1200 Ripper Kit

Ive been planning to install the upkit ever since I got the balls to tell me wife I WAS doing it this past fall. We ride 2 up a lot and as you all know the 883 pulls like a fraggin moped when were loaded entering the freeway.

I set out researching the various options (there are many) and most all seemed to make sense depending on what you were aiming for and/or how much debt you like to sit in. Apparently some guys will bore out theyre cases and plop in some ungodly 90" jugs in a sporty, throw down somewhere around $2000 on cams, ignition, heads or headwork, bore-hone jobs or jugs, and put up dyno tickets or 1/4 mile numbers on their fridge. Thats pretty sweet, but im broke and I ride this bike every damn day.

So, long story short I found the most economical route for what I want. That is to be able to lug me and my wifes fat asses around loaded up with a tent and bag and maintain a respectable amount of pull. I ordered a Weisco 1200 jug n piston kit w/ dished 9.5:1 moly-coated pistons, Hastings rings and "included head and base gaskets", a cometic rocker box gasket kit, pushrod seals, valve seals, intake seals, a 170, 175, and 180 CV main jet, and a 29 tooth front pulley. All told Im in about $600.

I went with the new jugs cause machining price is comparable. All the parts are good quality without going too crazy. The pulley will change gearing closer to the 1200 and thus keep rpms lower at cruising while still keeping enough torque at hand.

Ill be getting all the stuff in this week, and I got a start on the tear down last night. Let me know if you see anything you like, dont like, Im doing completely ass backwards, etc. Thanks
    Last edited by wompin; 11-17-2013, 9:11 PM. Reason: I type like a rushed methhead and make mistakes
  • junkyardxl
    • Mar 2012

Seems like you have a pretty good start on things so far. What pipe and air cleaner you running?

Comment

• wompin
      • May 2012

Mooneyes louvered air cleaner with paper element, stock keihin cv carb, stock crossover 2-1-2 pipes.

Id love a 2-1 but its not in the books right now

Comment

• daroberts3
        • Dec 2012

You will need a larger pilot jet. Probably a #46 is where I would start. An adjustable slide needle would also help with smooth throttle transitions.
        What is the mileage on the motor now? You might want to consider new hydraulic lifters if you have 50,000 miles or more.
        I would also recommend removing all the valves, cleaning them and hand lapping them.
        What about your ignition? Is it still going to be stock?

Comment

• wompin
          • May 2012

last nights progress

I got the tank, battery, carb, and pipes off, next step mounts, heads, jugs n pistons

(im figuring out how to insert the image url, bare with me)

Comment

• wompin
            • May 2012

Originally posted by daroberts3
            You will need a larger pilot jet. Probably a #46 is where I would start. An adjustable slide needle would also help with smooth throttle transitions.
            What is the mileage on the motor now? You might want to consider new hydraulic lifters if you have 50,000 miles or more.
            I would also recommend removing all the valves, cleaning them and hand lapping them.
            What about your ignition? Is it still going to be stock?
            Thanks for the input. I guess the I just flapped open the clymer and HD manuals and picked out the stock 1200 jet sizes. Pilot jets are the same (42) for both 883 and 1200. Its a 2000. I was definately going to clean the heads n valves and lap them. Ive gotta take em out to put on the new seals anyway, its stupid not to lap them at that point. The motor only has 14000, so Im not going to go bat shit crazy reworking everything in the motor, just the obvious stuff and things that are too simple not to do while I have the top end open.

I havent opened the carb yet. Do the stock CV needles not have little ridges to reset the clip and raise/lower the needle. I guess I assumed all carbs have adjustable slide needle in that sense. Or are you talking about something else?

I am keepin the cam stock, so I figured timing would be fine with the stock ignition. If thats not the case maybe ill look for a used 1200 ignition. It seems like I read somewhere that the 883 ignition works fine with the 1200 set up. Of course everyones got opinons...
            Last edited by wompin; 11-17-2013, 8:42 PM. Reason: more bullshit to spew

Comment

• wompin
              • May 2012

Last nights progress pics

Drained the gas and ready to strip:

Hired help (they're lousy buy loyal):

Stopping point till the jug kit gets here (Wednesday?):

Comment

• junkyardxl
                • Mar 2012

stock ignition will be fine with that compression no need to adjust. my only word of advise is on the retorque DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN! stick with numbers and no tighter. and when doing the sprocket dont forget its clockwise to loosen. but you said you have a manual all this stuff is basic.

Comment

• daroberts3
                  • Dec 2012

H-D's stock Keihin CV carb ( made in Japan) DOES NOT have an adjustable slide needle. Aftermarket has plenty of options. I use a Keyster brand and a #46 pilot jet, about a $40 kit. The stock #42 is too lean for a 1200cc. Change it!
                  I would advance the timing a degree or so on the stock timing unit, and adjust the VOES switch to a lower vacuum setting. Something around 4inHg.
                  A single fire Ignition would really help you realize the full potential of this engine package.

Comment

• Saltytonk
                    • Mar 2011

You might want to get a stiffer clutch spring too. The stock 883 spring is not near as stiff and will give way with the extra torque.

Comment

• wompin
                      • May 2012

Right on guys. Ill look into all those things. Not sure how to adjust the VOES but Im sure my manual goes into it.

Any idea why a stock 1200 runs on 42 slow jet if the consensus is a 46 is needed? EPA maybe?

$40 seems steep for a brass needle and jet, but it is what it is I guess...

Do you think most guys swap the clutch springs too. I don't think Ive seen anyone mention that yet.

Comment

• punkrod
                        • Jul 2011

I've done that exact kit myself, several times. The factory 1200 cylinders were close enough but I usually had my 883's bored out to match the aftermarket pistons exactly. It was cheaper in my case to go with boring.

As far as the carb goes, the jetting will be different because you're using the 883 heads which flow differently, (better IMO), than the factory 1200 heads. I found the sportster needle worked just fine with a #4 washer under the head to raise it up a scosh. Your exhaust and air cleaner will have an effect on jetting. I think the last one I did had a 48 pilot and a 185 main jet. I usually just buy the jets instead of the kit.

The VOES adjustment isn't in the manual but there's a few sites online that show how to do it.

Many folks switch the clutch spring to a stronger one. Give the bike a try with the stock spring and run it hard to see if it slips. The Barnett clutch kit is usually the one because it's easy to get and works well. Their spring is great if not a little too heavy, but if you're on a budget you can switch one out from a big twin p/n 37871-90.

Your bike will have more torque and horsepower and an ignition change will help too. The factory ignition is good with a little tweaking to the voes and bump the timing a scosh. I switched my old bike to a Dyna 2Ki kit with a single fire coil and it seemed to have a bit more pep plus I was able to raise the rev limit, ditch the VOES and have the whole ignition in-cone.

Comment

• wompin
                          • May 2012

Carb opened

I think for now (until I get the jugs in) Im gonna go conservative on the carb. Keep in mind this will just be my starting point.

I went ahead and put in the 175 main. Its one size up from 1200 stock, and if I can tune the mix to work, ill be saving fuel, which believe it or not is pretty important to me. Same logic on keepin the 42 slow jet for now. I found some pretty nifty stuff on tuning air mix and idle speed:

Ive gotta pick up a proper washer at ACE tomorrow, then Ill shim the stock needle up a "scoshe". Is there any reason not to use a nylon washer for the shim?

Heres a useless pic of the carb:

Comment

• brooklynbomber
                            • Sep 2011

FYI - I had an 883 converted to a 1200 and found that it was really happy a 46/pilot - 180/main with open pipes and mesh air cleaner. Didnt shim anything, just used the NC65 needle with Dyna 2ki and she really woke up.

Comment

• wompin
                              • May 2012

I think I may get away with my 42 and just reset the mix screw (capped with aluminum plug) since I have a paper filter and baffled 2-1-2 pipes.

Ill try shimming the needle first. If Ive got mid-range issues Ill get the '88 sporty needle

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;