Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WhiteFox
    • Aug 2009

I have a '77 and without this thread, I would have never known about the cam chest breather! Mine already had the chrome tube but no check valve thingy like you have.... Thanks! Oh and by the way the bike looks great too!

Comment

• snotty1250
      • Aug 2014

Shaping up nice, stance is on, you going spring solo seat? I dig the VW bug too, another project?!

Comment

• offbeat
        • May 2012

I had a solo seat but I didn't think it fit the bike so I'm gonna make a rigid mount, maybe cobra style.
        And the bug…we go way back. Got it when I graduated high school, drove it daily for years when it wasn't broken. Too many things started going at once so it's been off the road a few years. One day I'll get to it.

Comment

• crush1776
          • May 2011

Originally posted by offbeat
          Already taken care of. I cut out what was left of the rectangular stock, heated the end of the backbone up and bent it down then welded a gusset in.

Looking sweet! Can you post a pic of this? thx, jon.

Comment

• offbeat
            • May 2012

Crush1776, here's that picture you were asking about way long ago. Not the prettiest welds but they're damn strong. Plate is 1/4"

And a couple random pictures

Brake rod I bent up to clear the frame

Tank painted. My flake gun sucks balls so I gave up on it. Shot it with krylon glitter blast and cleared it with a gun. It'll probably get something else in the future.

and a teaser.

I still have to make a seat and sissy bar and tie up some minor stuff but it's getting there!

Comment

• brooklynbomber
              • Sep 2011

Awesome!

Comment

• billybiltit
                • Aug 2009

kickass bike!
                awesome build.
                thanks for postin,

leon

Comment

• offbeat
                  • May 2012

Glad you guys dig it! Hopefully I'll make some progress on a seat this weekend.

Comment

• offbeat
                    • May 2012

Been getting some boring misc stuff done. Please excuse the dungeon I work in.

Here are some quick and dirty fender struts/taillight mount I whipped up the other night.

Also made a seat that I still need to upholster. I think it came out pretty good for someone who has no idea what they're doing.

Started by covering everything with plastic wrap and duct tape so I didn't get crap everywhere. Yeah, the picture sucks.

This was my first time ever using fiberglass so at this point I was thinking "what the hell did I get myself into?"

This is what the mess looked like after I removed it. Didn't have real high hopes at this time but it hardened and stayed together so that was good.

Cut it to shape and it still stayed together and actually looked like something. Rad!

Drilled a few holes in it and welded bolts to some scrap to make built-in studs. I glassed over them but forgot to take a picture of that.

This whole seat including the material to upholster it was free stuff from work. I was having trouble finding good foam locally and I found this in some forgotten about back room. It's a good thickness and density so I figured I'd use it. I sprayed the whole pan down with some industrial strength adhesive I found a crate of in an abandoned building. Roughly cut the foam to shape and zip-tied it so it'd hold the shape.

Shaped it up with a green grinding pad on an air tool and I gotta say, I'm pretty happy with the result thus far. The upholstery job is going to make or break it, another thing I've never done before. I have to dig my grandmothers sewing machine out of her basement this weekend and we'll see where it goes from there. And that's it for this weeks edition of "Crapsmanship".

Comment

• xllance
                      • Apr 2024

Nice job on the seat. Do you anticipate any vibration problems with the taillight mounted there ? Did you drill through the strut ? Seems like a good place for a crack to start. Just wondering.

Comment

• offbeat
                        • May 2012

I thought about the vibration, it's got an LED bulb in it and it's rubber mounted. I did drill through the strut but they're pretty heavy gauge steel and the hole is maybe a third the width of the strut. They're temporary anyway, I plan on building a sissy bar for it but want to try to get some riding in before it's way too cold so I'm just trying to get it ridable.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;