Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jakemon
    • Oct 2013

I have two old panhead's. Both are old and 97% OEM.

I have run many products from S&S with good luck. I have called them several times and always got a human on the phone that spoke good English and was knowledgeable and helpful. That means the world to me.

It cracks me up that you can have a repop right side case, repop flywheels, cylinders, pistons, pump, pushrods, distributor, valves, etc..... but as long as the left side case is OEM Harley with a old assed title (maybe OEM heads but not 100% necessary) you got a Harley motor and are in the club.

S&S is a good company that stands behind their product. I like good company's and try and support them. If you want a repop pan, knuck or shovel then I would get it from them and live the dream.

Best of luck,

Jakemon

Comment

• guiltyview
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by sgilliesjr
      I am not worried about resale. What I hate is buying a bike, motor, or whatever, that some tweaker hack has been into and has done some fucked up shit to, or used some cheap ass part that wears out fast as hell. It's not always tweakers either there are some scandalous shops out there that do fucked up work too. Next thing I know I have to waste more time, Not Riding, but repairing said hacks or shops work. It never fails either; there's always some fucked up HD specialty tool you have to order whether its Jim’s, motion pro, Kent Moore, John Doe, ect… in order to the job correctly. That takes time and money, NOT RIDING. Whether you have a bullet proof OEM that has never failed it still has old fatigued metal. Sure you can beat the hell out of them still with no problems but they are mechanical and will sooner or later have problems, and I would be willing to bet long before a new S&S. I am perplexed that anyone would not go for the more advanced designs and upgrades all in one vs. the head ache of sending shit off to get it machined, down time, and knowing you’re riding a bike with fatigued old cases. You might save some cheddar but you will have a lot more down time and Not Riding in the long run. Don’t get me wrong I love vintage Iron but I am not risking my ass riding on someone else’s mistakes either. I don’t trust anyone and have gone through every used bike I have ever purchased. To me the headaches associated with finding, repairing, and worrying about an OEM pan vs. a new S&S is far outweighed. I also give a dam about bragging rights, you can turn your nose up to my repop, I’ll still buy you a beer.

Has anyone dealt with S&S customer service when something goes wrong.

I have lost my ass over the years putting money into bikes and am not claiming any one even knows or cares who I am, but there are a lot of big name builders who use reproduction motors that sell for quite a bit more than $15 K. In fact I can't think of a manufacture who sells a bike with a vintage repop for less than or equal to $20k
      Yes, I don't think that very many of the people that are anti repop realize that a piece of metal can only go through so many heat cycles

Comment

• CrazyCats3
        • Jan 2011

Let me get back to the original post. Our motto is Proven Performance. We mean it. We test our stuff to be certain. Our P series engines run strong and run reliably. If you are going to be doing a lot of trips and extended runs, I would go with the 93. The 103 will definitely have a ton of vibration and it will decrease the life of both the bearings as well as the cylinders and pistons due to the higher piston speed. In the event that there is an issue, there is no other company in the V-Twin aftermarket that stands behind their products better than we do. The engine comes with a warranty. Do yourself a favor and follow the rules. Send in the damn warranty card. DO NOT START TAKING THINGS APART ON YOUR OWN! I understand the desire to fix your own stuff, but you will void your warranty. If that engine is under warranty and there is an issue, I don't care how minor, take it to one of our dealers and have them call tech. The tech will look up warranty info and set the shop in motion.

For the restoration guys out there, I understand. I truly love vintage engines. But keep in mind that this company was started 55 years ago by a guy who first won the midwest drag championship on a knuckle then used the same bike to go 152 mph at Bonneville in the early 50s. We were building parts to make Knuckles, Pans and Shovels faster when the engines were new. For us they are not vintage. We still build a lot of those parts today because they worked then, they still work now.

Kevin
        [email protected]

Comment

• ElekVins
          • May 2011

Originally posted by CrazyCats3
          Let me get back to the original post. Our motto is Proven Performance. We mean it. We test our stuff to be certain. Our P series engines run strong and run reliably. If you are going to be doing a lot of trips and extended runs, I would go with the 93. The 103 will definitely have a ton of vibration and it will decrease the life of both the bearings as well as the cylinders and pistons due to the higher piston speed. In the event that there is an issue, there is no other company in the V-Twin aftermarket that stands behind their products better than we do. The engine comes with a warranty. Do yourself a favor and follow the rules. Send in the damn warranty card. DO NOT START TAKING THINGS APART ON YOUR OWN! I understand the desire to fix your own stuff, but you will void your warranty. If that engine is under warranty and there is an issue, I don't care how minor, take it to one of our dealers and have them call tech. The tech will look up warranty info and set the shop in motion.

For the restoration guys out there, I understand. I truly love vintage engines. But keep in mind that this company was started 55 years ago by a guy who first won the midwest drag championship on a knuckle then used the same bike to go 152 mph at Bonneville in the early 50s. We were building parts to make Knuckles, Pans and Shovels faster when the engines were new. For us they are not vintage. We still build a lot of those parts today because they worked then, they still work now.

Kevin
          [email protected]
          Hello Kevin,

Does the Knuckle repop has the same performances than the Panhead repop? Or there is other differences than the outside look?

Vins

Comment

• CrazyCats3
            • Jan 2011

There are other differences than cosmetic. Our pan and shovel engines do in fact make a bit more power. With that said keep in mind that our Kn93 will still get up and go. The power output dwarfs a stock knuckle, or a stock Evo for that matter. I don't have the actual numbers, but I'll post some on mon when I get back to work.

Comment

• GB
              • Sep 2012

The S&S motors come with an electronic ignition that 'counts' and totalizes the crank revolutions, adjusting the rev limiter and advance curve during the break in period. This allows S&S to offer warranty 'cuz the break in was on their terms, but probably also allows them the option of downloading the RPM history to see just how much fun you're having...

I'm not concerned about not having a OEM pan stroked out to 103"; it would be a money pit. Sorta like having an original vs. a built crate engine; the crate was built with performance in mind.

One of my two winter projects: yes, it's a 103

Comment

• AMFshovelheads
                • Dec 2012

If I had the doe I'd be all over an S&S gennie shovel.

Comment

• SSCycle
                  • Nov 2013

Originally posted by ElekVins
                  Hello Kevin,

Does the Knuckle repop has the same performances than the Panhead repop? Or there is other differences than the outside look?

Vins
                  This is a dyno chart for a 93" knuck.

This is a Dyno chart for a low compression 93" Pan

The Pan and Shovel engines are much more efficient in the higher RPM ranges.

Comment

• sgilliesjr
                    • Aug 2010

Well its done, we shall see if S&S stands up to their reputation! Should be here the beginning of DEC!

Comment

• hanger
                      • Jan 2015

So it's been three years. What is your review of it?

Comment

• sgilliesjr
                        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by hanger
                        So it's been three years. What is your review of it?
                        Ran into some finical woes, so it is just garage Art as of right now.

Comment

• slam03
                          • May 2012

I ran s&s engines and parts without any problems for years now, and I understand all the buy OG motor and parts but they have just got out of hand on prices and if it wasn't for people like s&s alot of these old motors wouldn't be on the road.

Comment

• Angelking
                            • Oct 2014

I know this is an old thread reborn. I have a 93" S&S Pan in my bike and I love it. It's only number 15 off the assembly line. Once the warranty was over of course the electronic ignition failed. I put points in it and never looked back. It is a kick start motor and starts 2nd or 3rd kick everytime and just keeps on running. As far as the ones who turn their noses up at repops...... who gives a damn? Life is too short to deal with them people.

AK

Comment

• Stix
                              • May 2016

I too have a P93, never had an issue with it. It sits in an OEM 65 frame. Seems someone liked that 65 motor better than the rest of it. LOL.
                              So S&S was the answer to keep that chassis rolling.
                              I'm interested in knowing what points set up you used Angelking.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0170.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	1292952
                              Last edited by Stix; 10-20-2016, 7:22 PM.

Comment

• Angelking
                                • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Stix
                                I too have a P93, never had an issue with it. It sits in an OEM 65 frame. Seems someone liked that 65 motor better than the rest of it. LOL.
                                So S&S was the answer to keep that chassis rolling.
                                I'm interested in knowing what points set up you used Angelking.
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]72560[/ATTACH]
                                Just went to my local bike shop and got the advance weights with the plate. Napa had the Chevy six cylinder points. Here is a short video:

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;