CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by MoeFoe View Post

Looks like to me they are continuing their down hill slide. Just in case you're not aware the Twin-Cams are throw-a ways. (Google "Harley & The Sweet Years"). With the Revolution hell it looks like an entire Throw-a-way. What you're going to find is the New stuff is going to hit Rock bottom while the Evo, Shovel, Pan and Knuckles are going to increase in price. If you love it Buy It, I'll continue to Ride and Repair my old bikes.

We live in a Throw-Away, planned obsolescence society. Harley has to play by those rules or they become a dinosaur. Your refusal to buy a new bike because the old ones can be rebuilt time after time is proof that Harley needs to build bikes that get thrown out every few years. That's how the business is perpetuated. 20 somethings don't care about repair-ability. They need cheap, they need it now, and when it breaks they'll cross that bridge when they get to it.

Bob

Get Adobe Flash player

The Jap bikes of the 1980s despite constant model changes (which are really what kills keeping a bike for many years because the aftermarket has limited return on tooling up to make spares for them) have held up rather well for what they are. Their engineering was generally excellent but what made them "disposable" was they were sophisticated AND changed models often. Those changes accelerated motorcycle technology and performance tremendously and riders benefited.

More recently, Twinkies have been in production long enough you can build a complete drivetrain from aftermarket parts and that sure as shit isn't due to engineering excellence! They are disposable because they are standard and plentiful. Small-block Chevy and Ford engines are also disposable nowadays, though designed to be rebuilt. Modern production methods make crate engines a better deal for many users.

If HD chooses a long production run for its new line (that's been good ROI in the past) there is no particular reason it won't be supported. Motorcycles are a breeze to work on compared to automobiles, yet millions of mechanics repair and overhaul cars and trucks every year. Water jacketed engines are more than a century old. It ain't fancy technology.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by bobscogin View Post
    We live in a Throw-Away, planned obsolescence society. Harley has to play by those rules or they become a dinosaur. Your refusal to buy a new bike because the old ones can be rebuilt time after time is proof that Harley needs to build bikes that get thrown out every few years. That's how the business is perpetuated. 20 somethings don't care about repair-ability. They need cheap, they need it now, and when it breaks they'll cross that bridge when they get to it.

Bob
    Bob I'll agree with what you said but... Farmers and Poor People know something many Rich Folks don't, "How To Fix Their Broke Shit". Not a Damn thing wrong with Gold Card H-D Owners but I cut my teeth on the early Harley's when you almost had to be a Damn Mo-Canic to ride the poorly engineered/built shit they put out. Most of us Ol' Guys are going to continue ridding what we have. When you find a Twin-Cam mixed in my bikes, call the Police (cause I stole it and was Drunk).

I remember the rumors of the Porsche/H-D engine development back in the late 70's. I'm all for newer, better and Faster H-D's. Just don't go back to ball bearing cranks with mega run-out on the cranks, having to spray oil on the pistons to keep them from seizing and blowing up. Cheap is good too but there's a limit. When a lifter takes a Crap and you have to throw away the engine case to repair it... Thanks but No Thanks.

Get Adobe Flash player

Damn, after checking it all out, and i dont even know why, that is a butt ass ugly bike. Pretty soon you will be hearing id rather be seen on a vespa than a street

Get Adobe Flash player

I might buy one used after a couple of years but I want to see how they hold up first because I'm too old to be an experimental animal.

Amazing article, Do you have the best business ideas that make money. If you have good idea, So please tell

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by WingNut View Post
    500 and 750 water cooled Harley's with SOA looks right out of the box.
    http://street.harley-davidson.com/?s...ent&camp_id=16
    the end came when they quit makin shovelheads. everything after is fuckin plastic junk

Get Adobe Flash player

I find it funny this popped up out of nowhere due to spam.

I absolutely understand the above mentality and it was mine for many many years but recently I decided to give something new a try.

About a month ago I picked up one of these little turds and have absolutely beat the shit out of it for 2000 miles as of tonight.. Rough miles. The only thing ive been able to tear up on it was a $20 clutch cable. I chalk it up to piss poor maintenance by the PO and myself. So what if they are water cooled, jesus fuggin christ.

It is an absolute smile machine and I couldnt be happier. Under 5k with a 2 yr full warranty. They want out because our mentalities and traditions, and these things are being given away.

Dont paint yourself in a corner or be afraid to give something different a try. Just ride and enjoy. You might surprise yourself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polish_20210922_230938495.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	303.7 KB 
ID:	105572
    Last edited by markwade74; 3 Weeks Ago at 9:24 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I ride something different everyday. 1927,1949,1954,1974,1975,1974 again,1954again.Harley died when they quit givin a fuck about the product and the people.Like so many other companies. My warranty is in my work.

Get Adobe Flash player

What got me was after I picked up the '56 Panhead and went to the dealer for some parts. Been going to this guy since the 70's and he always had parts for damn near any year. But no when I went in this time, nothing but Evo and newer parts anymore. And NO 1/4-24 screws or bolts. If you gonna make a standard then support it!

DAMN! ! ! !

One of the great things about Harleys was the dealer network and the parts. But thankfully there are enough aftermarket places and OEM parts out there.

Share This