CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default explaination how to change out front ends please

I have seen some bikes that people are putting front ends from different models, I was interested in finding out the how to go about this properly if anyone could enlighten me

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 13bones View Post
    I have seen some bikes that people are putting front ends from different models, I was interested in finding out the how to go about this properly if anyone could enlighten me
    4 different options that I know of. Depending on your situation, one of these will do the trick.

OPTION ONE: Find a front end that uses that same diameter fork tubes as your current front end, and swap the fork tubes + axle + wheel. It's as easy as it sounds.

OPTION TWO: Find a bike that uses the same size bearings in the neck, and swap the entire front end.

OPTION THREE: If you want to run a front end that doesn't match your neck, you'll have to get new bearings made. Get the new bearings and you're good to go.

OPTION FOUR: **CAUTION: Hardcore chopper dudes only**
    Chop the neck off each bike and swap the whole bundle.

Get Adobe Flash player

What bike are you working on? Seems that some could be easier than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulum View Post
    4 different options that I know of. Depending on your situation, one of these will do the trick.

OPTION ONE: Find a front end that uses that same diameter fork tubes as your current front end, and swap the fork tubes + axle + wheel. It's as easy as it sounds.

OPTION TWO: Find a bike that uses the same size bearings in the neck, and swap the entire front end.

OPTION THREE: If you want to run a front end that doesn't match your neck, you'll have to get new bearings made. Get the new bearings and you're good to go.

Don't mean to steal the thread or anything but if you wanted to swap the triple trees, would that be possible with the stock tubes? What about if you wanted to throw a springer front-end on?

Get Adobe Flash player

82 cb650sc not sure of the front end i want but was interested in finding out the process. thought it would look pretty cool if I could throw a gsxr or cbr front end on my custom.

Get Adobe Flash player

https://www.google.com/search?q=gsxr...w=1680&bih=925

This is a link to what a GSXR front-end looks like. It seems that you will need to swap out your trees.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulum View Post

Should be added to option 1 that this only works if the triple trees are the same width. If you're dealing with a differant width you would need a differant axle, differant spacers, etc.
    Option 2 is dependant on the length of the steering stem as well, its not just the size thats a concern. Option 3 has the same problem as well.
    And option 4 has the issue of the Vin being on the neck, just worth pointing out.

Jetblack

Quote Originally Posted by Staninator View Post
    Don't mean to steal the thread or anything but if you wanted to swap the triple trees, would that be possible with the stock tubes? What about if you wanted to throw a springer front-end on?
    No such thing as thread stealing here; all input is welcome as far as I am concerned. I've seen too many sites where guys start sword fighting with their dicks, leaving the OP to sit and scratch their ass waiting for those idiots to stop so they can get the question answered.

There's at the very least 4 ways to accomplish the same thing, at least 4 things that can cause the same problem. No one answer is going to be the perfect bulls eye to solve a question most times.

So having seen a bunch of that nonsense on other boards. I try to promote the idea that everyone that has input to add come together and get it answered asap, lots of combined experience here and every opinion from that experience valid, helping the poster with the question is the whole point yeah?

So by all means man, you and every other 33 member that has anything to add, to help a brother with a question so they can get things moving... by all means bust it out.

In this very thread if you combine all the answers thus far, it's a much more complete answer to the question than any single one by itself, and credit goes to everyone as a team.

I sure as hell appreciate all the help people give answering questions, if it was just myself answering over here, I wouldn't have time to do much else... thanks everyone!

Get Adobe Flash player

I just went through this process. I am building a cafe/brat CB550(1975). Searched around on ebay and found a decent front end and seller. I contacted the seller and asked for some specific measurements. The front end is off of a 2003 CBR600F4i. Seller was very cooperative and helpful when I called him. Mostly I wanted to know the steering stem length and diameter. He even brought the price down a little.
    So now I had a fully adjustable set of forks, triple trees, axle and dual calipers. I went to AllBallsRacing website and found a great bearing conversion chart and ordered right from the website. The chart asks for donor frame year/make/model and then asks for donor front end year/make/model. Easy. Bearings arrived quickly and fit perfectly. Next up was adapting the stock CB wheel bearings to fit the larger axle. Removed stock bearings, measured them and the n ew axle diameter. Called up my local bearing supply house (Buffalo Bearing). Bam they had exactly what I needed in stock and shipped it to me. They also fit perfectly.
    At this point I am working on brake discs to fit. I have a 320mm disc off of my Moto Guzzi (same as most Ducatis). And guess what? Bolt pattern is the same, just need to space it out and make a caliper bracket.
    Also found this web page to have good cross reference info https://sites.google.com/site/alansdocuments/

Get Adobe Flash player

Putting a GSXR front end on a Harley isn't a mod the average guy might wanna try.
    I'm doing one for my shovelhead chop project, lots of machining and fab work.
    I'll post a thread when it's done.

Get Adobe Flash player

There are web pages listing the relevant bearing diameters, fork leg diameters etc, so you can work out from the comfort of your house what model forks or triple trees or fork legs will swap with what.

I put a 250 Honda upside down front end on my Yamaha SR500, and all it needed was a couple of washers under the top triple tree to get it all in place. bearings top and bottom were the same sizes, by a massive stroke of luck.

Jetblack

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33729 helpful links here for lowering and bearing sizes etc.

Share This