Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ARBY
    • Apr 2024

HOW TO: Tank Clean Out Tool

The question always gets asked, " How do I clean out the ( whatever ) from my gas tank? The answers are always the same; nuts and bolts, BB's, acid, acetone, boil it out, burn it out and any number of other methods. The truth is that what you use is determined by what you're trying to remove. Well here's one that will get rid of it all. Now you can de-skank your tank with "THE CRANK."
    Free Web Proxy

Here's the parts list available at hardware stores everywhere for about six bucks.

36" piece of 1/4" wire cable
    12" piece of 3/8" wire cable
    12" piece of 3/8" I.D. plastic or rubber hose.
    Free Web Proxy

First I cut the 1/4" cable into 3 10" pieces. This length can change to suit your needs.
    Free Web Proxy

Then I measured 1 1/2" from the end and tack welded them to the 3/8" cable.
    Free Web Proxy

Once all three were in place I welded them in tight then welded over the other end of the 3/8" cable to keep it from unraveling.
    Free Web Proxy

Next I frayed the ends of the small cables so they can scratch at the metal surfaces as they flail around inside the tank.
    Free Web Proxy

The final step in the process is to slip the rubber hose over the end of the 3/8" cable. I cut mine to about 6 inches. This will allow you to save the skin on your hand as you support the cable while the whole thing flails around inside the tank.
    Free Web Proxy

You can probably skip the rubber hose if you prefer to wear work gloves.

To use the tool just chuck it up into your hand drill, stick the frayed ends down into the filler neck and hit the trigger. Push and pull it in and out of the tank so the cables can get at all areas of the tank. The tool cleans with the frayed ends and the sides of the cables as they slap around removing rust, scale and old, pealing tank liner.

After about 5 minutes, depending on how much skank is in the tank, stick the end of a garden hose into the filler neck and let it run for a few minutes to flush/float out the loosened debris. Then finish up with a rinse of really hot water. When you pour out the water the metal will still be hot thus helping any left over water to evaporate quickly. Once the tank has dried, squirt in some spray oil to protect the newly cleaned surfaces.

That's it. That's the whole game. Quick, dirty and cheap - just like sex.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-01-2013, 3:00 PM.
  • Slayer63
    • Aug 2011

Great idea Arby. Hell you could probably mass produce it and sell them.

Comment

• dirtbag
      • Aug 2010

That pretty slick

Comment

• Knuckleduster
        • Apr 2024

patent that shit quick yo!

Comment

• jermicon
          • Dec 2012

Ahh the chimney sweep. A old timer triumph guy I know has somthing like this. Works very well

Sent from my backoffbeforeIjackoff

Comment

• Ramzilla
            • Oct 2013

Quick, dirty and cheap. I like it. Great write up Arby. Now I know if I get skank in my tank you just flail the hell out of that bitch.

Comment

• CRFyou
              • Mar 2010

This is much better than the solvent and nuts trick people insist on doing. Love it!

Comment

• liquidlife1991
                • Oct 2013

this is such a great idea. tried BBs and diesel. didn't work too well @ all. I would love to try this. is there any other way you can connect the 1/4 cables to the 3/8 without having to weld it?

Comment

• Ramzilla
                  • Oct 2013

Originally posted by liquidlife1991
                  this is such a great idea. tried BBs and diesel. didn't work too well @ all. I would love to try this. is there any other way you can connect the 1/4 cables to the 3/8 without having to weld it?
                  Could probably use some of these ferules. They have them in all different sizes.
                  http://www.lowes.com/pd_348538-258-7614_1z13cld+2z8vi__?productId=3462288&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1% 26page%3D1&facetInfo=$1 - $5

Or you could braid the wires together and solder it or braze it.

Comment

• liquidlife1991
                    • Oct 2013

thanks for the help. much appreciated

Comment

• farmall
                      • Apr 2013

Ferrules would work fine. They hold aircraft flight control cables together for battle damage repair, and they'll hold that. I have welders but I'll use a ferrule to make mine.

Cool tool.

Comment

• Tito
                        • May 2010

Pretty cool, going to give it a try. Kinky too.

Comment

• CHEN
                          • Sep 2009

God, this is genius!

Comment

• davidabl
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Ramzilla
                            Or you could braid the wires together and solder it or braze it.
                            ¡Bingo! We have a winner. I think that the ferrule idea however, could end badly if anything gets tangled up in there

Comment

• br3or
                              • Mar 2011

This one has my vote. Definitely better than dropping a bunch of nuts and shit into your tank and hoping for the best when it comes to getting them out. Only downside for you is next time I need a tank cleaned I'm coming over, beers in tow, don't worry!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;