CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Yamaha TW200 Brat Style build

How goes it? I figured I'd share my build with you guys as I feel this may be one of the proper communities to appreciate it.(and that TW200 specific forum SUCKS) I've owned many different motorcycles throughout my life, but I've ALWAYS had a weird thing for the Yamaha TW200...ESPECIALLY after I saw how people in Japan were modding them. I know the TW is an "enduro" but I've always liked seeing different peoples take on street set ups for it, and I've had a vision for years on the approach that I would take if I ever got my hands on one. I'd slam it, switch up the tank lights, rip off everything that doesn't need to be there, and turn it into the bad ass little Brat Style, Cafe Racer that I have pictured in my head. So I finally came across the perfect donor bike for this little project that I've always wanted to get into and had it shipped to my door, a 2008 with very low miles. Here's a picture of the bike in stock form a few days after I got her:

I must say, even in stock form, the TW200 is a fun little bike. I've always had a weird fixation with small displacement bikes, and the old saying "it's more fun to drive a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow" or however the fuck that saying goes, and I pretty much had the little TW wide open on every street I encountered, fun indeed! Just for shits and giggles I'd often take the bike to this mile long straight away around the corner from my apartment just to see what she topped off at in stock form...if my memory serves me correctly I think my personal best with a tight tuck was around 68mph...but those knobby ass tires are sketchy and I didn't stay there long....I'm babbling...back to the build...

So yeah, my vision, BRAT STYLE, I'm a fan. Some people say "Brat Style" isn't an actual style, but a garage in Japan that builds bad ass bikes, but over time I think us American's have coined the term to describe a certain style when building our own bikes...so I'm going with it. I want to turn this TW into a slammed, metal flaked, compact little Brat Style bike, and so my quest for parts begins. First thing I did was gather together a bunch of photos of bikes that have the look I am going for. Allow me to share them with you:

I freakin love everything about this one:

Not a TW200 but is bad ass and strongly resembles one:

And lastly this hard tailed, suicide shifted little bastad from the geniuses over at Crazy Orange of Japan, this one is in fact a TW200:

The first four pictures are the general look I'd like to try and achieve but each one of those bikes has something that I wanted to incorporate into this build. I have a ton of other reference photos but I don't wanna over kill it, I feel as if those bikes get my point across the best.

So now, PARTS, all the good stuff for the TW HAS to be sourced from Japan. It really is a shame that there are no companies over here in the US that carry all the kick ass parts you can get over in Japan for the TW200. So I finally bit the bullet and ordered a load of parts from Web Bike Japan, and it honestly wasn't as complicated of an experience as I thought it would be. I ordered everything from a full Nitro Heads exhaust, to a custom Tank, seat, grips, LED taillight/fender eliminator, the list goes on. Web Bike was the only place I could find such parts for the TW. The one thing I didn't order which I decided not to last minute was an extended swingarm. I decided in order to achieve that compact look I'd leave it stock, but I do plan on having it along with a handful of other parts powder coated black. My only complaint with Web Bike Japan was how long it took for my parts to arrive, other than that it was smooth sailing.

So I finally received my parts from Japan, and a few "go fast" parts from different shops in America and it was time to get this little project under way. Here is a picture I took the day everything arrived, I felt like a little kid on Christmas morning:

The one thing I did do right away was highlight the lettering on the rear tire with a white tire marker, here's a pic of the tire with the aftermarket black rear sprocket:

I'll stop here for now, I do have a few progress pics that I'll post later but I feel as if I've already bombarded everyone with this first post. I will say this though, the build is actually coming along well and is really shaping up to be exactly what I had envisioned in my mind.

Stay tuned...

Get Adobe Flash player

Subscribed. Brat style yeah baby.

Get Adobe Flash player

I was looked at a T-Dub the other day and thinking that it had potential so I'll definitely be watching this thread.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by wnrn View Post
    Subscribed. Brat style yeah baby.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by krb View Post
    I was looked at a T-Dub the other day and thinking that it had potential so I'll definitely be watching this thread.
    I've ALWAYS felt the same about the TW...tons of potential....

Get Adobe Flash player

A quick update before I call it a day...THE TANK. So yeah, in my mind one of the key parts I'd need in order to achieve the look I'm going for is a new Tank. I knew I wanted an aftermarket tank and I knew I wanted the Tank to be THE ONLY part on the bike to have color: GREEN, METAL FLAKE GREEN. I wanted a real heavy flake too, like 70's carnival ride green. And I've always had a thing for bikes where the majority of the bike was black or mechanical colors EXCEPT for the tank.

So I went with a Nitro Heads cafe looking tank from Japan, here it is raw out of the box:

As for painting it, I did some research on applying metal flake paint and there really seems to be a technique to it. I toyed with the idea of sanding it and painting it myself with those "Rattle Bomb" metal flake spray paints but I was afraid I'd screw it up and I didn't want it to come out looking crappy so I called my buddies Eric and Pete over at G&S Cycles in Queens, NY and they sent the tank out to a painter they recommended for me. I've worked with these guys in the past and they helped me build 2 other killer bikes over the years. They're a pleasure to do business with and really know their stuff. I built in my opinion THE SICKEST Yamaha Road Star Warrior I've ever seen with the help of these guys...and it went like stink. For those of you that are curious:

GOD, I miss that bike...but I'm getting side tracked, here's a teaser shot of the tank for the TW with the first base coat and flake:

I'm very happy with the color so far, it's spot on. I'll keep you guys posted as things progress...

I love where your taking this thing! If you don't mind me asking what'd that tank run you?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Buckley25 View Post
    I love where your taking this thing! If you don't mind me asking what'd that tank run you?
    Thanks man, the tank ran me just under $500 with shipping from Japan. It's a direct bolt on for the TW200 from Nitro Heads. This was the most expensive part I purchased from overseas for this build...

Get Adobe Flash player

Update time! So my pals over at G&S Cycles got the bike up on the lift so we could eyeball it and figure out how to achieve the stance:

We came to the conclusion that the only way to get that slammed look would be to hard tail the rear and push the front forks through the trees some. I'm not gonna lie, I was a little hesitant to hard tail the rear, but in all honesty I want this bike to be more style over function. I don't plan on driving the TW on the freeway or long distances, this thing is for pure fun, and to blast around the neighborhood or to the bar. After some back and forth my pal Eric had come up with a pretty cool idea that would allow us to achieve the look but not make it a complete spine buster. He said allot of guys back in the day used to run thick rubber on their hard tail set ups that would act like a bushing and give a slightly better ride than a pure hard tail. This sounded good to me, so we went with it, here's a quick mock up of the look:

The rubber bushing will go around the stock shock cartridge and we will powder coat the cartridge black. Also, in order to achieve that flat top look of those Brat Style reference bikes we decided that we would chop the rear section of the frame, make some adjustments, and re weld it. Also, the bottom of the front forks, the swing arm, the levers, and a few other bits and pieces will be powder coated black. I had originally wanted to powder coat the frame black too, but I didn't wanna go over budget, and Eric was a fan of the little sparkle in the stock paint on the frame in the sun so when we chop the frame and re weld we will re shoot the section that was welded with the factory paint so that everything looks clean. Lastly, there are a bunch of tabs on the frame and swing arm that will be shaved off to keep things as clean as possible.

More to come soon...

Jetblack

Yeah man urban stump jumper I dig it, when done right these things look like they are tearing ass just sitting still.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Jetblack View Post
    Yeah man urban stump jumper I dig it, when done right these things look like they are tearing ass just sitting still.

Get Adobe Flash player

Tanks done:

Get Adobe Flash player

Frame chop re weld:

Paint shoot, matched up:

Get Adobe Flash player

Nitro Heads "Megaton" exhaust:

Thinking about possibly wrapping the header with some black wrap...

Get Adobe Flash player

New headlight mounted nice and low, Drag Specialities 140mph speedo mounted, f*ck it, keep em' guessing lol...

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey looks like a hell of a fun build! One thing though about drag spcecialties speedos. Maybe I had poor luck but I went with a drag specialties speedo and tach the speedo lasted about a year. The inside of the tach literaly fell apart one day on a ride.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Smilts View Post
    Hey looks like a hell of a fun build! One thing though about drag spcecialties speedos. Maybe I had poor luck but I went with a drag specialties speedo and tach the speedo lasted about a year. The inside of the tach literaly fell apart one day on a ride.
    Shit man, I hope that doesn't happen to my speedo!

Get Adobe Flash player

Mine may have been a fluke. The speedo just free spins now.

Jetblack

The stock one on my CM just started sounding like a crazy fucking ray gun Friday night, I need to drop the cable and give it some lube before it twists one of the ends off... might be the issue with your speedo.

Get Adobe Flash player

Things are really starting to take shape:

Share This