CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Need Ignition upgrade help 2005 sportster build

I running a rigid frame 2005 sportster with a stripped down wiring harness (no speedo turn signals idiot lights etc.) recently did a 1200 conversion with a new SE 1200 Ignition module but I'm having trouble figuring out the ignition reprogram process
    Because I have deleted the turn signal security modual, the bank sensor and have no turn signal switches which my instructions say I need to complete the reprogram what do I do now
    Please help!!!!!!!

Here are the instructions I got with the ignition

Initializing the SE ignition Module on the 2004-Later Sportster

When you put an SE ignition module on a 2004 or newer Sportster, you have to perform a specific initialization procedure to get it to work. NRHS customer Jim Young went through this on his Sportster and was kind enough to share the steps and experience with us. Thanks, Jim!

Here is the procedure I performed for the "password learn process" on a SE 31759-04. Since the bike will be in the run position, and not running, for almost an hour, you SHOULD connect the battery to a battery charger.

This text is a slightly modified version of the procedure for the TC88 and V-Rod. Iíve added information to the items that I found confusing, in an attempt to clarify.

These steps MUST be done EXACTLY as written. Any deviation will result in an unsuccessful transfer of the password and you will need to start step 1.

1. Set Run switch to the Run position

2. Turn Ignition key On-Off-On-Off-On-Off-On (this should be done fairly rapidly, no need to wait for the engine light to go off. . . )

3. Toggle the Left Turn Signal Button twice. (This means PRESS THE BUTTON twice, NOT turn the signal ON AND OFF Twice, which would be four presses.)

4. Turn Ignition key Off-On quickly. Verify the Check Engine lamp illuminates briefly and then turns off.

5. Attempt normal start ONE TIME. (This means ONE press of the start button!) Engine starts and stalls immediately. Check to verify that the engine lamp stays on. Password has not been learned.

6. ECM enters Password Learning mode for 10 minutes. DO NOT cycle the ignition or disrupt power for the entire 10 minute cycle.

7. Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON.

8. ECM enters Password Learning mode for 10 minutes. DO NOT cycle the ignition or disrupt power for the entire 10 minute cycle.

9. Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON.

10. ECM enters Password Learning mode for 10 minutes. DO NOT cycle the ignition or disrupt power for the entire 10 minute cycle.

11. Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON. Wait approximately 1 Minute.

12. Turn Ignition switch OFF. Wait at least 15 seconds. Turn Ignition switch ON and start engine to confirm the Password Learn Procedure is successful. Engine will start and remain running. If engine immediately stalls and fails to restart, the procedure was not successful. Start over at step 1.

Get Adobe Flash player

What happens when you try to start the bike?

Get Adobe Flash player

I actually haven't even attempted the relearn program because I have no turn signals or switches ... I still have the stock harness as well so I was wondering if you guys think I should do the reprogram on the stock harness and then hook it up to the bike with the simplified
    Harness or is there another way to hook up and program a new ignition modual without a tssm because I deleted it on the new harness

Get Adobe Flash player

To my knowledge there is no other way of doing a password learn. You must have the TSSM and turn signal switches. Hook up the SE module to what you have now and see what happens.
    There are some stand alone Ignition systems out there. Maybe Thunderheart has one.

Get Adobe Flash player

Alrite man, here's what i did, and you may or may not find it to work to your advantage . . . i bought an 03 cam cover, and ran an aftermarket crane high 4 single fire ignition in the nose cone, allowed me to run a 5 wire harness and get rid of all the brain box and sensors associated with it. Knowing what i kno now i wouldve went with a dyna s and mech advance, (cheaper that way)

Started with a bone stock 883 05 sporty, had ledlsed build me a hardtail, and had no where to hide the stock brainbox and wiring. Rob from quad cam bastards did the same thing, not too sure how many others have done it, but this is also an easy way to convert from efi to carb, at this point all you'd do is add a carb and intake to your parts list, and go to town.

Just another option to consider.

Wifebeater... found your response while trying to find a solution to the ICM. I have a 2005 I am taking down to a strip Bobber. Would very much appreciate your wisdom on how you took it to 5 wires as that is my desired style. Thanks

Wifebeater... found your response while trying to find a solution to the ICM. I have a 2005 I am taking down to a strip Bobber. Would very much appreciate your wisdom on how you took it to 5 wires as that is my desired style. Thanks

Share This