The Greasy Dozen 2014 Get support for your build!

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eloso
    • Apr 2012

The Greasy Dozen 2014 Get support for your build!

So what is the "Greasy Dozen" it's my way of giving something back, saying something about what's important to us and supporting the core of our hobby, home builder's and small independent shops.

First let's get one thing straight "The Greasy Dozen" concept is not a "build off" in fact it's basically the exacted opposite of a bike build off. Really the Greasy Dozen is about working together supporting built not bought culture, home builders, and small shops. Drawing in like minded companies, the community and builders to spread what we love. By it's very nature "The Greasy Dozen" avoids pitting people against each other and encourages us to work together. People of all different skill levels can enjoy building a motorcycle! Promoting that ideal while spreading grassroots builder culture and the traditional biker values of brotherhood and mutual respect is what the GD is all about. I purposefully included a first time builder and 1 small shop in each category to further illustrate that you don't need 100k of equipment or to do this for a living to turn out a badass build.

Greasy Dozen 2014 Kick off:

Once again we are looking for 4 Choppers, 4 Cafe racers and 4 Bobbers

This year I'm gona lay down a few rules to make thing run a little smoother for me from a logistical perspective.

Here's how you enter:

1. Find the thread on Chop Cult titled "The Greasy Dozen 2014" post a picture of your current project and plans for it.

2. Post your build and plans on OBB's Facebook page at www.facebook.com/oldbikebarn

3. NO PURCHASE REQUIRED TO WIN SPONSORSHIP OF YOUR BUILD. Though myself and all the sponsors do appreciate your business. PLEASE MAKE IT EASY ON ME WITH CLEAR AND PROMPT COMMUNICATION IF YOUR A WINNER. Last year we had over 1000 applicants between CC and Facebook and I after announcing the winner I spent tons hours chasing down [email protected] to get a real name, address and phone. Imaging having to waste countless hours trying to chase down dudes to give them free stuff. I don't mind working hard to serve the community and organize the Greasy Dozen and associated events but please make it run smooth. email [email protected] if you have any questions.

4. Like the following Facebook pages www.facebook.com/chopcult www.facebook.com/oldbikebarn and www.facebook.com/thegreasydozen. Once the 2014 sponsor list is released like as many of the sponsors as possible "Support those that support you"! The announcement of the official 2014 sponsors will be December 25th.

2014 winners will be announced January 31st and we will chronicle the builds again and do a run.

WHO QUALIFIES? Any home builder or small shop with 2 employees or less. You can also email me directly [email protected] or send me a PM and I'll answer any questions.

Regular updates of the 12 builds will be posted here and I will personally support the 12 winning project builder's by phone and email getting you the parts you need and whatever freebies I can along the way.

This is about working together and having some fun along the way so haters please go hate somewhere else.

Now lets build some bikes!

Peace & Grease
    -Bear
    Last edited by Bear; 06-23-2014, 9:09 AM.
  • bradhilburn
    • Sep 2011

Ok so I through this together to have something to ride cause my heads for this came back just as I myself and my stroker shovel went down. So I put it together in about a month and a half and rattle canned it to protect parts and frame and what not. so my plans are to rebuild forwards, shave forks and powder, wanna run mullins super narrows on the 39s got a whole lot of flake candy and base waiting for a squirter and i gotta fix oil leaks in the oil tank i screwed up i cut a hole in a led sled oil tank and put the switch and all wiring through the oil tank. Im gonna keep this i have a good friend who did it in a gas tank i thought he was crazy aparently seeing as its not on the side it dont leak course it may not leak for him even upside down but still. anyway the motor is coming back down all the way cases split polished cleaned all hardware replaced. jugs heads powdercoated and rocker boxes polished. more brass is better. new forwards built by myself, look the only problems ive had is stuff i bought forwards broke on my 215 mile shake down run course so did the kicker. anyway my shovel is almost up again and this one gets to get finished and done right instead of oh XXXX i need a bike to ride cause im goin nuts. I apologize to any truests i cant ride with a hand clutch im missing two fingers on my left had cause i had an accident on the stroker. so im a jockey guy and its linkage across the motor in reverse and will stay that way. i know its not a ground up build but it really is im taking it back to bare frame and starting over. Thanks guys later Roadie

Comment

• bradhilburn
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by bradhilburn

Ok so I through this together to have something to ride cause my heads for this came back just as I myself and my stroker shovel went down. So I put it together in about a month and a half and rattle canned it to protect parts and frame and what not. so my plans are to rebuild forwards, shave forks and powder, wanna run mullins super narrows on the 39s got a whole lot of flake candy and base waiting for a squirter and i gotta fix oil leaks in the oil tank i screwed up i cut a hole in a led sled oil tank and put the switch and all wiring through the oil tank. Im gonna keep this i have a good friend who did it in a gas tank i thought he was crazy aparently seeing as its not on the side it dont leak course it may not leak for him even upside down but still. anyway the motor is coming back down all the way cases split polished cleaned all hardware replaced. jugs heads powdercoated and rocker boxes polished. more brass is better. new forwards built by myself, look the only problems ive had is stuff i bought forwards broke on my 215 mile shake down run course so did the kicker. anyway my shovel is almost up again and this one gets to get finished and done right instead of oh XXXX i need a bike to ride cause im goin nuts. I apologize to any truests i cant ride with a hand clutch im missing two fingers on my left had cause i had an accident on the stroker. so im a jockey guy and its linkage across the motor in reverse and will stay that way. i know its not a ground up build but it really is im taking it back to bare frame and starting over. Thanks guys later Roadie
      Attached Files

Comment

• motorlou
        • Jun 2010

hate to seem like i'm repeating the same ole song and dance but here is my humble submission. it's a 1975 cb550. i guess it would be in the bobber section. prolly just keep the neck and cradle. not sure yet.

Comment

• Eloso
          • Apr 2012

and it begins... -Bear

Comment

• BnC
            • Oct 2011

2014 Greazy Dozen CHOPPER entry! 81 shovelhead, its a rat right now but undergoing big changes during this 6 month Winnipeg winter! getting a top end rebuild, new shoes, new everything actually but staying swingarm! 70's/80's club style chop.

Comment

• Grinnling
              • Nov 2012

Eh what the hell I put it up maybe I'll get lucky. Put some fire under my ass to try and start it
              1986 Harley sportster in remarkable shape still rideable now but I want it to be mine I'm looking to do an old school swinger chop with a crazy frank fender and a few over springer front end raked out a bit keeping the mag wheels though I have a fondness for them but everything else is getting tweaked ...hopefully
              Attached Files

Comment

• seanvondoom
                • Oct 2013

I'm not sure if mine would go in the bobber or chopper section.

What I've got is an '81 XV750... only 8500 miles on it, so it's got a lot of riding left!

Gonna be my project for the winter - just me and a buddy of mine out in his garage. A lot of my plans for it are as much for function as for looks... I want it to look good, but I also plan to ride the shit out of it.

Some of the things I want to do:

• Swap out the forks for a custom-made springer
                • If I can find somebody to do the welding, I might rake it out a few degrees - 3 or 5
                • New front wheel - maybe a 21"... something off another bike, with dual discs
                • Put a disc brake rear wheel on - probably one off a Kaw
                • Switch out the dual carbs for a single carb off a Dyna/Sportster
                • Slam the rear end - probably chop the monoshock spring
                • Completely go through the engine - clean it out, new gaskets, paint, etc
                • Maybe a new tank?
                • Apes
                • Forward controls
                • Custom pipes
                • Custom (and very very small) rear fender
                • Paint it myself (which I have exactly zero experience in, but I want to learn... so this will be my experiment)

Other stuff that's less interesting (but certainly not trivial, or free!) - stainless brake lines and a new front master cylinder, new starter, new charging system, side mount license plate, redo the wiring, spring solo seat, and so on and so on.

My goal is for it to look something like this:

It's got a long way to go to look anything like those but... that's what I'm shooting for!

Comment

• crush1776
                  • May 2011

I'll take another shot. This was my last build:

"The Shining"

These are some of my current builds:

"The Shining II"

"The Bat"

This is my Submission:

"Little Wing" BSA Cafe Racer

Update: scored a tank and tail section. Going to mock it up in the next week or so.

Update 12/7

Got a bubble screen:

Ordered a fairing:

Last edited by crush1776; 12-07-2013, 5:59 AM. Reason: fairing

Comment

• Nycsh89
                    • Apr 2024

Figured I'd submit mine, 1967 numbers matching T100c bought it last year not running,got it running right and planned on being finished already but money issues and being at sea for 3 months got in the way of that. It will be my first build for the bobber category. I have plenty of mechanical experience and some light fabrication experience through work but I figure this build would be a great way to force my self to get more fabrication practice.
                    How it looked after I bought it not running.

Fixing the electrical problems in the driveway before I cleaned my garage out.

Hardtail I bought for my build.

And finally how it looks now.

Planning on doing:
                    Re-wire Electrical
                    New Tires and spokes
                    New handlebars
                    Replace clutch and throttle cables
                    New controls
                    New gastank and paint
                    Last edited by Guest; 10-18-2013, 9:31 AM.

Comment

• xyster220
                      • Aug 2013

Homebilt Hardtail '99 Sporty Chop

Hey, so this sounds cool, what the hell I'll give it a shot.

This is my first build, done in my garage...adding to the chopper category.

I started with a '99 XLH883, no bike building experience... well, no real experience of any kind actually, except for wiring, and I haven't even gotten there yet. Here's a pic of how she sat the day I got her.

My basic philosophy on this build is to do absolutely everything myself, unless it interferes with safety concerns... i.e. I am very much still learning to weld, so some structural welds have been taken over to a buddy who is a hell of a lot more competent than I am. When I have ordered parts that I didn't think I could fab myself, like the bars/exhaust I specifically sought out small companies... at least wanting to keep the theme as grassroots as possible.

Overall plans include:
                      -Led Sled hardtail kit 2" stretch for 180-200 rear wheel fitment
                      -Swapped wheels and tires
                      - 18" 40 spoke rear with 180/55ZR-18
                      - 21" 40 spoke front with 90/90/21
                      -Swapped the rear brake for an HHI Sprotor setup, naturally went chain drive along with that.
                      -Zombie Performance Products Riserless Zees, but had Stephan do them in stainless and alter the cross bar, set up for internal wiring he's a good guy to work with BTW
                      -SikPipes Double Barrell exhaust (which after a four month wait should be in sometime this week, fingers crossed)
                      -DK Customs Outlaw HiFlow 587 air cleaner
                      -Biltwell Thinline seat blank, and mount... covered it myself with dead cow parts.
                      -Swapped the "eyebrow" headlight mount for a bottom mount bucket to clean things up a bit
                      -shaved the top triple tree to get rid of old mount locations
                      -Shaved forks
                      -Mini Speedo, brand TBD
                      -All electrical is going to be redone from scratch with a new harness and fed through the frame
                      -1250 bore kit for fun, haven't looked too far into that yet
                      -Polish rocker box covers/cases
                      -New "Sportster Style" tank, with right side petcock and low tunnel
                      -fabbed up a coil/key relocation bracket from the stock upper engine mount
                      -Plan to fab a plate mount to the back of the primary, kinda like Led Sled's, but they don't make it curved anymore, so I will.
                      -chopped case/sprocket covers, probably something awesome.
                      -Currently toying with the idea of eliminating hand control pods altogether and just going with micro buttons set directly in the bars, if I do I'd have to go all in and figure out an internal throttle, which probably wouldn't work with these awesome Z bars... so maybe a different set.
                      -clean up the frame: get rid of old tank mounting tube, cut off old electrical clip mounts
                      -bitchin' lace paint job, powdercoated frame and other odds and ends
                      -basically there's nothing on this bike that won't have been modified to some degree

This has been an extremely ambitious project thus far, but overall my results have been very positive and I'm excited as hell to get her finished. I kind of intentionally set myself up for hard times on this project, you know... not knowing how to weld, fab, paint, or even stitch up leather for the seat. But the learning curve has been a rush, and it's been a hell of a lot of fun... to be honest, I've even skipped a ride or two to work on it.

Here's a recent pic of the progress in the build, got a lot of stuff done, but a long way to go

I'm not trying to throw in to much detail in this post. I'm sure there's about a hundred other people that will make submissions in this catergory, but I do have a build thread on another forum. I haven't gotten around to doing one here yet, figured I'd wait till it was more complete.
                      Here's a link to that thread if more detail is needed for consideration.

Anyway, there's my submission, now please let me have a calendar with my bike on it!

Comment

• spidr
                        • Mar 2010

Sent you an Email Bear. Thanks for putting this on again.

Comment

• Stlmikie
                          • Jan 2013

I'll try.
                          Here's mine project. I got the motor and trans off a wrecked bike I won in an auction. It's basically all that was salvageable. As far as the catagory goes I suppose it would go under bobbber? It'll have a bit of a Japanese flare to it.

Last edited by Stlmikie; 10-18-2013, 7:42 PM.

Comment

• Nycsh89
                            • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Grinnling
                            Eh what the hell I put it up maybe I'll get lucky. Put some fire under my ass to try and start it
                            1986 Harley sportster in remarkable shape still rideable now but I want it to be mine I'm looking to do an old school swinger chop with a crazy frank fender and a few over springer front end raked out a bit keeping the mag wheels though I have a fondness for them but everything else is getting tweaked ...hopefully
                            I like it, looks just like my first motorcycle.

Comment

• bwagner
                              • Oct 2009

Let me start by saying that my bike IS NOT a new build.I bought this as a BRAND NEW 2007 Night Train in August of 2006. Since then it's seen quite a few iterations. This time around I want to put something together that I'm proud to say I built on my own. Its currently in a frame that I built myself with the stock frame motor cradle and neck so I could keep my stock title. It's a twinkie 96" motor and six speed trans, and pretty much everything else I built in the garage of my home. I'm not sure where I'm going with it this time, but comfort, ease of maintenance, and reliability are always at the top of my list.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by bwagner; 10-20-2013, 6:57 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;