Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trichardson21
    • Aug 2009

Eye Patch

Just came to mind after scratching my cornea at work yesterday, ever seen a one-eyed fella on two wheels?
    Also, dont underestimate the power of the Dremel
  • ditto
    • Aug 2009

dunno - do you have depth perception withonly one eye? Eye doc told me if I switched back to spectacles instead of contacts Id need to wait several weeks before getting back on two wheels so cant imagine jiggin the one-eyed pirate would be any easier - good luck man

Comment

• trichardson21
      • Aug 2009

Depth perception is a mofo right now. Doc said it should be a week or so. Just wonderin, ive seen guys with one arm, one leg, but never one eye.

Comment

• rouser
        • Jul 2009

there used to be this guy that went by the name of moon, her rode a 20" at 9th street in atx. when i said he rode i mean he rode the grave yard, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th set. he rode it all and street too. one eye!

Comment

• travasesino
          • Aug 2009

like this?

Comment

• c4ff31n3
            • Sep 2009

To my memory, Army urban legend has always been that two eyes are needed for depth perception, unless you are very good at guessing distances based on size of objects...

Comment

• erikweste
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by ditto
              dunno - ...so cant imagine jiggin the one-eyed pirate would be any easier...
              You need to see to do that?

Put one over your eye and walk around for a day see how many things you fail to pick up, or run into and be your own judge. If its ever my right eye that something happens to, I am fucked cause my left eye practically sees double and out of focus half the time.

Comment

• wickedblockhead
                • Aug 2009

hell, i can barely see my one-eyed pirate with both eyes!

Comment

• inxs
                  • Sep 2009

Yes Two eye's are needed for depth perception. However, One can learn to function like any two eyed individual with time and practice. It is all about allowing the brain to reprogram it's self once it realizes it's missing half of the information that the previous eye was providing through the optic nerve. The biggest issue would be the loss of peripheral vision on the side with no eye. It would also effect, if I remember correctly the individuals ability to optically adjust under varying lighting condition's as they are missing one whole set of Rods and Cones in the retina. Try it for your selves. Spend an hour or two with a patch on and practice picking things up jumping set distances and such. Then take a quick ride on the scoot. It will be odd feeling but chances are the feeling will come mostly from the lack of information coming from the Periphery on the patched eye. You have already learned to discriminate distance based on previous calculations your mind learned in the past base on speed, known objects and whatever else you have in your cognitive map that gets you from point A to point b on the daily. New environments too can be negotiated in an = like fashion.

But ...I am no Doctor so don't take my word for it just recalling what I learned in PSY class years ago.

Comment

• Nicko
                    • Sep 2009

I have had to go with the eye patch for over a week,

and it does mess you up a bit. You learn the meaning of blind spot. I found that certain angles made me think I was rushing towards the ground suddenly, so when you are banking corners my honest advise would be to watch well ahead of you, rather than down in front. Other than that I liked all the attention it got me...I lead a dull life.

Comment

• NHMike
                      • Apr 2024

Curious what they say about driving a car? I mean, realistically it's the same thing, depth perception. If you can drive a car okay, I gather you could also ride a bike.

Oh, and. ARRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Revelator
                        • Aug 2009

There's a dude that posts from time to time on the bikernet forum that only has one eye,
                        &
                        He has been ridin for years that way.
                        If it's an injury that will heal up soon, I would wait it out, Probably takes awhile to get used
                        to operating on one eye. If you do make sure you have some big ass Mirrors.

Comment

• travasesino
                          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Nicko
                          Other than that I liked all the attention it got me...I lead a dull life.
                          hahahaha that had me fuckin cracking up =)

Comment

• zoomy
                            • Nov 2009

I have been blind in one of my eyes several times. I have a messed up disease that when it gets really bad my vision is reduced to shapes and shadows and I am really light sensitive in the affected eye. This usually last several weeks to several months and I get it about twice a year.

Believe it or not, I find it easier to ride a bike than to drive a car when blind in one eye. Plus when riding a bike you use your hearing too - In a car, it is hard to hear a car in your blind spot.

When driving a car, to check the blind spot you have to turn your head really far on your blind side. On a bike I turn my head towards my blind side, look into that mirror and then move my head to adjust the field of view. While doing this I can still see forward out of my perifial vision.

If I was to be blind in one eye and ride, I would rather see out of the left eye because you can see more of the traffic in the left (passing/fast) lane.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;