CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
    Jetblack

Default DIY Rigid: On the cheap n easy.

Want a hard tail? But don't don't have the funds or a ton of equipment?

Courtesy of: Lunatic

Start by putting the bike on the work table, and using the magnetic angle finder, strap it down level where you want it. (this of course is done AFTER you hack off all the excess stuff, leaving behind the swing arm).

Then you stretch the swing arm by hacking the axle plates off, leaving some tubing attached for the inner slugs to hold onto. THEN, you put an angle finder on the sprocket to make sure the wheel is straight up and down, just like the frame. then you use a caliper to see that the same amount of material is being added to each side.

Now you're ready to add the upper and lower rails.

Once you get the upper and lower rails in, and the side to side braces added, then you can hack the swing arm out of there, clean up the excess tabs and mounts where the swing arm used to mount, and you're ready to go!! CHOP ON!!!

TwoLaneFever

rock on man,,,

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've thought of doing this before but things don't always work as well in reality as they do in theory. Everything seem square and straight?

Get Adobe Flash player

this is awesome!

Jetblack

Keeping the swing as the jig, and using the angle finders is what keeps it square and straight... basically when you find where you want the rear stretch to fall, you extend the swing arm to that with slugs keeping both angle finders on the zero marks when tacking the slugs in. This will keep everything squared up nicely, for the rest to be welded onto the stock axle plates.

Get Adobe Flash player

fuck yeah man!!i did the same exact thing on my sporty....
    so nice to build something by hand!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Ive used this method twice. Both on CBs with good results. Found it in an issue of the horse like 5 years ago. Acutallly, i think they were the same pics. If i can find it ill post some scans.

One thing id make sure of when doing this is to make sure you stap that fucker down! The first one i did the frame sprung when i cut it and it was a major pain in the ass getting it back square. Also, if your doing this to an old honda, replace the whole backbone with. 120 wall dom. It will really stiffin up the frame and help with handling.

Jetblack

Yup, I sourced this off site by way of a guy known as Lunatic, whether he's responsible for the mod? I dunno. Just some good tech to have in house.

Share This