Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cncannone
    • Jun 2013

The VIN inspection was easy enough. I showed up with the paughco MSO and the bill of sale for the motor. The officer with State Patrol initially told me I needed a bill of sale for everything; tank, forks, wheels, etc. I talked him out of that though, seemed a little ridiculous. My argument was that I could go to the dealership and buy a brand new bike, take it home, and change the tank or wheels real easy. Would I need to go back to State Patrol and run it by them then? Then he brought up how something like the tank or forks could be stolen so I pointed out that there's no serial number or anything on them so there'd be no way to check his database on it anyways. They gave me the paperwork I needed for DOL.

DOL on the otherhand was a huge PITA. Walked in with the bill of sale for the motor, state patrol paperwork, and the MSO. They said they couldn't take the MSO and that they needed a bill of sale from Paughco and that I needed to pay sales tax on the bike.... the bike that I built, not a bike that I bought. That turned into a two day ordeal with them that ended with Paughco having to fax them a bill of sale with a coversheet because I guess the one they emailed me that I printed out didn't look official enough.

WA laws say that for a build/rebuild of any motor vehicle, it needs to be fully built/rebuilt before a title can be issued. Back home in Massachusetts not only do the State Police come out to your house for the inspection instead of having to take it to them, but they'll issue a title for a bare frame. I do not understand this state sometimes.

Comment

• elJimmyG
      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by cncannone
      The VIN inspection was easy enough. I showed up with the paughco MSO and the bill of sale for the motor. The officer with State Patrol initially told me I needed a bill of sale for everything; tank, forks, wheels, etc. I talked him out of that though, seemed a little ridiculous. My argument was that I could go to the dealership and buy a brand new bike, take it home, and change the tank or wheels real easy. Would I need to go back to State Patrol and run it by them then? Then he brought up how something like the tank or forks could be stolen so I pointed out that there's no serial number or anything on them so there'd be no way to check his database on it anyways. They gave me the paperwork I needed for DOL.

DOL on the otherhand was a huge PITA. Walked in with the bill of sale for the motor, state patrol paperwork, and the MSO. They said they couldn't take the MSO and that they needed a bill of sale from Paughco and that I needed to pay sales tax on the bike.... the bike that I built, not a bike that I bought. That turned into a two day ordeal with them that ended with Paughco having to fax them a bill of sale with a coversheet because I guess the one they emailed me that I printed out didn't look official enough.

WA laws say that for a build/rebuild of any motor vehicle, it needs to be fully built/rebuilt before a title can be issued. Back home in Massachusetts not only do the State Police come out to your house for the inspection instead of having to take it to them, but they'll issue a title for a bare frame. I do not understand this state sometimes.
      Sounds about right. Maybe they just dont see a lot of custom bikes up here. Thats why I decided to go to a different DOL location to see if I could the the result I was looking for. Are you running duel mirror and a front fender? Just curious how picky they are at the state patrol

Comment

• cncannone
        • Jun 2013

Originally posted by elJimmyG
        Sounds about right. Maybe they just dont see a lot of custom bikes up here. Thats why I decided to go to a different DOL location to see if I could the the result I was looking for. Are you running duel mirror and a front fender? Just curious how picky they are at the state patrol
        I'm in the Army so I have mirrors, turn signals, everything. I have a front fender but literally just forgot to throw it on the day of the inspection. State Patrol didn't say anything about it until as I was about to pull away. He just said, "you might want to put a front fender on." I didn't run a front fender on the last bike I had and I rode it for almost a year up here and no one ever said anything.

Comment

• elJimmyG
          • Nov 2012

Yeah, I haven't been running mirrors (although I'm pondering throwing one on), or front fender. Nobody has bothered me. I figure if I ever get stopped I can plead ignorance and get a "fix it" ticket at least once.

Comment

• guysmiley7190
            • Apr 2014

western wa.

centralia ring a bell??

Comment

• elJimmyG
              • Nov 2012

Originally posted by guysmiley7190
              centralia ring a bell??
              Olympia.....so not far.

Comment

• elJimmyG
                • Nov 2012

So, I just got a new job that I will be starting next week out in the Bellingham area. The good part is that I wont be traveling so much. So I got to thinking. What do you guys think about putting together a quick simple run for the hell of it this summer? Just like a weekend thing. Figured I would throw it out there.

Comment

• FolkDevil
                  • Dec 2013

I'm down! Busy in June, but not much else happening after that.

Comment

• cncannone
                    • Jun 2013

Definitely down. Getting married in Hawaii first week in August so between that and the Army constantly giving me the green weenie my schedule is crazy. I'll make it work though

Comment

• gonzoguilt
                      • Mar 2024

After EDR, my gf and I will be staying in Westport for a few months while getting back on our feet.

Comment

• elJimmyG
                        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by cncannone
                        Definitely down. Getting married in Hawaii first week in August so between that and the Army constantly giving me the green weenie my schedule is crazy. I'll make it work though
                        Yeah, I think a lot of us on here are in the military, or work for the DoD so it makes scheduling tough. I work out of Bangor now, and worked out of Lewis for several years before that.

Comment

• elJimmyG
                          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by gonzoguilt
                          After EDR, my gf and I will be staying in Westport for a few months while getting back on our feet.
                          Westport is nice. Good place to chill for a bit. Id be excited to here about EDR. I wish I could get away for that long. Maybe someday.

Comment

• Alpentolic
                            • Aug 2014

Jimmy I'm in Oly too, Westside. There are a few of us who ride on the regular. Get in touch we're hitting it hard once the weather clears up.

Comment

• ExtraBroke
                              • Dec 2013

I'm way north in belingham

Comment

• jjj123
                                • Sep 2014

I'm up in Bellingham also

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...