Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lovechild
    • May 2012

Shaving xs650 forks

So after a few beers last night, I decided to shave the fork legs on my xs650. I cut the fender tabs off but left the caliper mounts on, as I want to run a front brake. So I chucked them in the lathe and started turning them down when I realised the legs are not really round, they are kinda elliptical. What should I do? I'm sure someone has done this in the past, so any advice would be good.

Cheers
  • Jetblack
    • Mar 2024

Pictures? If it really isn't noticible you might be on the artistic side of anal without realizing it... one of those only you know the fault because you did the work, but no one else would ever notice sort of things... if that's the case just let some shit go. Wabi Sabi brother.

Comment

• lovechild
      • May 2012

There is no fault yet. I only started turning the tabs off. What im trying to say is that the forks are not exactly round as stock, so if i want to turn the tabs off, it will take material off the forks aswell if you get what i mean. Do i just turn the whole thing round? If so, what do i do with the other fork that keeps the caliper mount?

Comment

• Jetblack
        • Mar 2024

Maybe someone that has stuck them in a lathe will come along, to better advise you on that.

I use a hacksaw then a belt sander then finish with paint or polish, you'll want to leave the mount if you plan on running a front brake, if not shave it off too... make sure to remove the disc up front if you run without one up front, seems common sense but I have seen it happen.

Comment

• Bmillz
          • Jun 2013

i did the belt sander, then D/A with 180 grit then block sanded it with 220 flat. then went through the polishing steps. i was on a few redbulls at the time.

Comment

• enduro850
            • Aug 2013

damn nice! ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

• SCARE
              • Jan 2013

nice job bro! jelous, but cant be faarked ha

Comment

• j0hnnybmx
                • Jul 2011

here's mine. took all the taper out, still plenty of material left over.

Comment

• livingdeadmc
                  • Mar 2024

I shave xs forks down on my lathe on the regular...you won't have any issues.

Comment

• livingdeadmc
                    • Mar 2024

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1378954886900.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1268715

Like so...

Comment

• lovechild
                      • May 2012

Originally posted by j0hnnybmx
                      here's mine. took all the taper out, still plenty of material left over.

Looks awesome. I will take all the taper out on one fork, im just unsure what to do with the right fork as i want to keep the break mount.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;