Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blacklistVISUAL
    • Aug 2009

TECH: Ghetto Helmet Paint

For the kids on the "Show Your Helmet..." thread that asked for it, here you go.
    How to paint your helmet in the latest recycled fad, with rattle cans, in just a few simple steps, with your host... some guy. (I am not a real painter, so you probably shouldn't listen to me. This is just some shit I busted out in my front yard to see if I could do it.)

First. Surface prep is pretty critical. So, pull the edging off, peel all the guts out, and sand the shit outta that bitch. It's not gonna get any smoother than what you start with, so make sure you're happy with all the chunked out spots before you ever start layin' any paint on there. Once it's smooth, wet-sand with 220.

Photobucket

I didn't photograph the primer, because I didn't think it was that important. But, I used a hi-build, just to help smooth out any sanding marks. Do what you want here... primer is primer, as far as I know. Wet sand your primer, again with 220, and make sure it's smooth as silk stretched over your mother's ass.

Once you're sanded and primed, you can start the fun shit.... follow the photo below, clockwise. It's tricky like that. I've added numbers for all those young kids who never learned how to read an analog clock because they were too busy learning how to apply eyeliner like Jared Leto.

1 - Lay down your base coat, let it dry, then tape out your design. I used a flakey silver, in hopes that it would brighten everything that went on top of it (it did). The candy's also look fantastic over, and it makes for a nice, bright pinstripe. But this is art... do what you want.
    Same goes for taping your design... get wild. I wanted to stay pretty simple, blocky, and geometric with mine. Make sure you go to a real paint store and buy real tape... it stretches into your curves way better than anything you're gonna find at Checker.

2 - Mask that shit. I started by masking the graphic areas off... but do it how you feel it. I used the blue masking shit from the Sherwin Williams section at Home Depot... it's low tack, so it won't peel all your hard sprayed layers off.

3 - Spray your non-graphic area color.

Once you're dry, peel your mask... you should be looking somethin' like photo 4. Careful not to peel your striping tape, because then you'll just be straight up shit creek without a goddamned paddle. And that's a bad place to be... so don't fuck it up.

Photobucket

Set that aside for a minute to cure. While you wait, call your Grandma and get the low-down on what fabric stores have the best lace options. Go buy some, and keep in mind - when painting a helmet, that shit's gotta stretch over a dome. So look for stretchy. If there's not enough stretch, you're gonna have a hard time... especially on big panels.
    Once you're home with your fancy new lace, mask off everything except the panel that you're gonna be sprayin'. I used two different laces on the left side of my helmet... first the front panel, then the back. Patience is a virtue... spray one, let it dry, peel it, change your mask, do it again.
    Oh... this is probably important. You're gonna have better results if you use a transparent paint. I used Duplicolor's Metalcast line... first I laid smoke over the lace, peeled the lace, then laid orange and gold over the entire panel to mellow it out.

Photobucket

Photobucket
    Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2009, 8:04 PM.
  • blacklistVISUAL
    • Aug 2009

Part 2... The saga continues.

Allright. Onward we roll...
    So, you've laid down your fancy lace section... awesome. Next up, the sunburst panel.
    But...
    Lame. I didn't photograph that.
    Because my hands were covered in paint, and I didn't wanna get any on my fancy camera that magically pays my rent. So I didn't.
    But, I did it poorly anyway, so who cares. Basically, I cut a mild swoop shape out of a Cap'n Crunch box, then tried to hold it against the helmet with one hand, while I tried to lay a fade against it with the other. This did not work so well. I had uneven fades, drips, and a whole shit-box of issues. I didn't care, because this was just an experiment, anyway. I tried again later, on another project, and masked my sections as I went... that worked out exactly 149.5% better than this. But that's another story for another day.
    If you've been following along, you should probably have a bunch of shit sprayed onto a helmet at this point. Hopefully it looks awesome. If you've got shit you wanna fix, now is the time. BUT. Do not wet sand any of your candy areas. Unless you're planning on taking the whole area off, don't touch it. In your solid areas, you can get away with a little wet sanding (in my case, it was to remove mosquito's who'd settled in the paint), but don't go lower than about 1000 grit.
    Once you're stoked, it's time for clear.
    I used Duplicolor's clear from their "Truck, Van & SUV" line. 4 cans of it.
    As with all painting, start light and misty. By can 4, I was layin' this shit down as thick as honey... but start light.
    Once you're all built up, walk away for a few days - you need to let it cure. Put it on your kitchen table, get stoked when you walk past, make you're old lady look at it and tell you how rad you are. Just don't touch it, because you need it to cure. After a few days, put a movie in the VCR (yes, I still have a VCR), preferably a foreign horror flick. Turn the TV so you can see it from the porch, then sit back with a beer, and let the wet-sanding fest commence. I started with 1000 grit, then worked my way up to 2000. This is what makes all the difference... so take your time, and do it right. If you finish before your movie's over, then you went too fast.
    After you've worked up to 2000, pull out your 3M polishing compound and an old t-shirt, and follow the directions on the bottle...
    And when that's done, you should be looking at something like this... only, with your steez. Not mine.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And that's how you paint your stupid trendy helmet in the latest trendy fashion.
    Get on it... it's fun, and it's pretty damn easy. It might even get you laid, too... never know.
    And remember - it's just spray paint. So get fuckin' wild with it... if you don't like it, it'll sand right off and you can drop another 12 bucks at Autozone to do it all again. And, as a wise old hippy-biker-guy-who-talks-to-deer named Marshall once told me... when you're paintin' with a rattle can, it's obviously not about perfection - it's about your own artistic vision. Well, I think artistic visions are bullshit, but the rest I agree with...
    So have fun, and don't stress too much.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-20-2009, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• WayneBallard
      • Aug 2009

**adding to your post**

One of these are always good to have if using alot of paint

I understand you might like getting high off the paint fumes but these air mask can save you in the long run.

Comment

• blacklistVISUAL
        • Aug 2009

Now apply what you've learned...

... into something that matters.
        After doing the helmet, I took what I learned and applied it to my tank.
        I took a little more time, went a little slower, and tried to make sure it all went smooth.
        This is what I got... same techniques as above.
        The shit news now is, it's rattle can... so, as soon as I spill some gas on this, it's game over.
        Lame. Lotta wasted time... but, flakey paint adds character, right?
        One day I'll try it with real paint.

Photobucket
        Last edited by Guest; 08-20-2009, 11:17 PM.

Comment

• blacklistVISUAL
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by WayneBallard
          I understand you might like getting high off the paint fumes but these air mask can save you in the long run.
          For sure. Kids, use a mask.
          I just chose a well ventilated area... in my front yard, in the wind. Terrible painting conditions, but great for my lungs.

Comment

• BolliverShagnasty
            • Aug 2009

That tank is the shit!

Comment

• payupcycles
              • Aug 2009

makes me want to go out and try it. looks great!

Comment

• Magickman
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by blacklistVISUAL
                ve.
                The shit news now is, it's rattle can... so, as soon as I spill some gas on this, it's game over.
                Lame. Lotta wasted time... but, flakey paint adds character, right?
                One day I'll try it with real paint.
                You can get 'real paint' in a rattle can at high end auto parts stores. Problem is th $$$. Ain't cheap.

BTW, not only a great write up but great humor too!

Comment

• RockinRyan
                  • Aug 2009

Great write up. I think this deserves sticky status. Anyone else agree?

Comment

• McChop
                    • Apr 2024

Masks are for pansies.
                    (ignore my avatar pic)

Comment

• Spoke
                      • Aug 2009

Have you ever thought about teaching school?

Comment

• blacklistVISUAL
                        • Aug 2009

Teaching school?
                        Shit yeah! I'd be the raddest teacher, but I know that all the hot high-school senior chicks would be constantly trying to seduce me and get my ass thrown in jail for statutory rape, and I don't think my chick would be to into that.
                        So I fight that urge... I will not walk that narrow line called "high school teacher".

Comment

• americanjunky
                          • Aug 2009

blacklist,
                          Thanks a lot for the little how 2. Now I'm bumming because I have a ton of ideas and stuck at work for a few more hours. But look the hell out when I get home.

Comment

• superflysnow
                            • Aug 2009

killer ghetto tech....

For the spay bomb + fuel = wasted time problem, here is the solution....

Urethane 2 part Clear-coat spray cans.... about 20-30 bucks a pop from people who sell autopaint supplies... it is a two part premix can, once mixed it lasts for about 24hrs and works fantastic.... it is COMPLETLY CHEMICAL RESISTANT so that bad ass tank can stay badass for eternity

Comment

• blacklistVISUAL
                              • Aug 2009

Superfly...
                              Yeah, I'd heard about that shit. I was planning on lookin' into it before I ran the tank. I've still got a little while before that scoot'll be back on the road, so I've got some time to figure it out.
                              Thanks.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;