CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

Thread: Cb400

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Cb400

Happy Early birthday to me. Wife bought me another bike so I can have something riding quicker, and get some of this season in without rushing the other one.

Couldnt pass really, I wanted a little bomber anyways, found a cb400, kick start, allready hardtailed, 10 or 12" over front forks, a ton of parts, including spare frame, wheels and tires, front end, almost a complete 2nd bike for $300.

Plan is to rake it out till it sits level, deal with the tank andd fenders, re-wire it and simplify it even further, and ride the shit out of it. Hoping a weekend or two of work in between other things and it will be rockin.

Get Adobe Flash player

$300, fuck yeah.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    $300, fuck yeah.
    Yup. Really, the wifes calling it a birthday present, but its still our money...... I'm going to flog the spares to my brother for a bobber build, I'll scrounge my stash for what I dont have, Theres actually some cool stuff in the pile for it hoping to have it on the road for less than $500 all in.

Jetblack

Nice find and a hell of a deal PS it's a CM400 not a CB400. I wonder what hard tail they have bolted on that thing. I think you're gonna love this bike, fast and very agile. The motors are fucking bullet proof and a high revving beast. My CM185T will do 70 easily even with my 210 or so lb ass on it, my tires are skinny as shit and ride height is kinda high and bouncy so 70 feels sketchy.

Here's a video of some one dogging a CM185 which all rebels are based off of, very similar and proven design.

Last edited by Jetblack; 08-31-2013 at 6:29 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Are you sure? Not that I know, but all my research says CB?

As for the hardtail, the guy was a ticketed welder, he left the stock swingarm, and welded in the upper. I'm going to grind the paint of this weekend and check the work, but it looks relatively clean.

I've got 2 sets of wheels, one set is the stock ones, the other is a set of a 650 apparently, and he says they bolt right in. The 650 wheels have a slightly fatter rear, still skinny as hell, so I think I'll run them, I'm going to dig through all the buckets today and find out what I actually have.

Jetblack

98% sure year of it would make it either 100% or zero, but the cases etc although very similar to the CB look exactly like the CM. They did re re-release the CB and use the CM400 motor from what I understand... so year will seal the deal

Get Adobe Flash player

Paperwork says 1978. He claimed 79, Worst part is I have 2 frames, and 2 motors, this one is kick/electric, the other is electric only. I'll find the VIN to confirm, hopefully the motor matches, it would be nice to know exactly what it is for picking up some bits.

Jetblack

Okie dokies same motor different body styles, the CB400 of that year was called a Hawk. Here's some specs.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/hon...400_t_1978.php

There was a CB400 they only released in Japan and Australia I think that was an inline 4 and water cooled.

These things are very easy to work on, like push mower easy.

Get Adobe Flash player

First job was to find out why she wasnt sitting up. Forks are for sure 10" over, so we tore it down. Found out it only had a 5" spacer over a stock spring. Easy fix. Filled it with fork oil and slammed it back together.
    Quick cut and some plate, and she was at a respectaable height. Now for some fishplates and get tins figured. Rolled her outside for a photo op with her stable mate though.

Get Adobe Flash player

Spent a few minutes getting a cb 650 front wheel in, its a little bigger rubber and I like the look more. Had to swap the cb400 rotor on and do some monkeyfucking with the spacers, but its almost there. Also found out that the steering neck bearings where mostly missing, got sent to the bmx shop by a buddy and apparently they keep bags of them, thats a whole lot better than the $40 at the dealer and 2 weeks wait. Next is to cram in the 650 rear and get it lined up.
    Also got this light in the box of goodies. Apparently its a spotlight from a copcar, its got a nice shape to it though.

Definetely need a fork brace. They twist like hell.

Get Adobe Flash player

Ugh these 650 wheels are a pain in the ass. Funny how theey where supposed to just "bolt in".
    Had to make spacer/sleeves, the stock 400 axle is 17mm, the 650 uses a 20mm. But I got a slighter wider, more common tire, and I like the look of the wheels better. 17" rear, 19" front. And the added bonus of a drum thats almost twice the size. I feel a little better about that. The chain looks like it lined right up, stepped up from a 38 tooth to a 40 tooth and barely got the master link in.....
    Then we decided to lighten things a little. Need to finish getting the paint off the backing plate, but its not a priority right now at all. This thing is so light though, that the tire barely bulges with basically no pressure in it. And its nice hanging it from the cherry picker to work on it
    Got so low bars on there, upside down and backwards, narrowed them up and slipped the controls back on with a some grips out of the bin of spare parts. I'm still only into thisthing for $320 total.
    My buddy dropped by with his bike too, pushrods backed off on the shovel till the intake valve wouldnt open, so it was a chopper shop for a while.

Get Adobe Flash player

Was in the hardware store and they're having a close out sale. So since chain was 40% off, it solved a couple problems. $10 worth and I've got pegs and a sissy bar. Pulled a shitty front fender out of the pile of parts, Now into this thing for $330. Right side peg folds out of the way to clear the kick.

Get Adobe Flash player

Got a decent profile shot when I got it home, looks much better with the new wheels.
    Selling the leftovers when I'm done to my brother for $100, and got him to pick me up a new tank last night. Was going to go with a peanut sporty, but it sold, and I stumbled upon the perfect one, so I'm not upset at all. $50 later and its on its way to me. $280 into it now.

Get Adobe Flash player

Good thing I dont plan any long trips. Cause I like how that looks. Not normally a fan of frisco tanks on formed backbones, and maybe one day I'll do something about it, but for now, cheap chop is looking a whole lot more complete.

Get Adobe Flash player

CHAIN FTW!! yea bro lookin good

Get Adobe Flash player

So We rolled the chop inside tonight out of the rain tonight so I can wire it. My wife says, dont forget the rules.
    Yup. No marks on the floor.
    Then she says yup. And treat her like a hoe.
    Cut her up and throw her in the ocean?
    No........Do my business and Get her out before she gets home.

So I laughed a little. My rides eventually end up with names. So the little CB400 is hereby name Geisha. Shes slim, japanese, and a slave purely here to fulfill my temporary needs.

Get Adobe Flash player

keep it up, looks fun to ride, makes me want to finish my 1970 CL450 Black Bomber hardtail project! tank looks strange but very cool. gonna keep that tank badge on their?

anyways great find! good job......

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah, gonna keep the badge. Its a pretty oddball tank and I just stumbled onto it, but I like the honda stripe.

Get Adobe Flash player

I had no interest in using the seat that came with the bike, so out came the leather. My skills are so-so, but its better than nothing. Tomorrow I'll add a thin layer of foam to the pan and get it secured. The hinge and the springs are waiting for me at the shop, one mmore thing off the list.

My Japanese Whore.

Get Adobe Flash player

Mounted the seat and cut down some huge springs we found in the parts bin

Did a terrible job of masking everything and painted it anyways. Re-assembled it, mounted the headlight, and rolled it out for a couple pics. Super stoked now. Need to wire it, pour in some fuel, hook up the rear brake, and take it for a rip. Ordered a mini speedo to replace that huge factory one, but it can sit there for now.

Share This