CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Coolest FLT ever : jap style : BUILD THREAD

So I traded an 85 ironhead for an 81 FLT with the full intention of using the motor and transmission and doing a cool rubbermounted build, but the more and more i took off of the bike the worse and worse it looked by the time i had it all stripped down, not only was i wondering what the fuck harley was thinking but, i was questioning weather i was dreaming. That frame was so damn ugly there was no way i was going to attempt to use it, so all the parts went up for sale on here and CL. Seemed like all anyone wanted was the bags and there was no way a set of bags was going to fund this build.

photo null_zpsdd76e026.jpg

photo null_zps531367d5.jpg

photo null_zps2deafd25.jpg

None the less i started my search for a frame and called a local shop, just so happens he has a 59 frame with a round swing arm and he will sell it for 500. PERFECT!!!!!!!!! so i ran down there to get and when i get there low and behold it is nearly a complete bike oil tank, coil, rear wheel, juice drum, some cool foot controls, original 5 speed with kicker transmission and it was all in working order, we got to talking for a while and I told him my dilema, a few hours of bullshitting later a deal was struck for the entire half a bike, and i would give him all the shit off of my FLT plus $500, and so the build begins

photo null_zps0e5b91e3.jpg

photo null_zps69f7a8a7.jpg

photo null_zps656fff35.jpg

photo null_zps9df01944.jpg

Kept the front end from the FLT and just flipped the trees around, the frame was raked out to 40 degrees and when we flipped the tripple trees around the stem just so happened to kick the front end in a little bit getting us closer the frame so it all kinda worked out.\

photo null_zps65786363.jpg

photo null_zps748d651a.jpg

photo null_zpsf71181e4.jpg

I love those shocks that are covered but they were 13 in shocks and this bike has to be low so i had a set of 10 in shocks from the other bike and i threw them on there to see and they drop the bike perfect but i think i will have to run 11 inchers just because there in almost no ground clearance, its proped up with a damn 2x4.

photo null_zpsb83c8a0b.jpg

just a quick mock up of a tank and headlight, im having trouble deciding if i should go with a split flat side tank or weld up an alien or something completly different, any ideas and comments, and free parts would be greatly appriciated. PS JOHNNY RAINBOW you inspired this build thread with your japan scene thread so thanks.
    Last edited by shovelpan69; 08-17-2013 at 1:56 AM.

looks sweet!! what do you mean by flipping the triple trees? what did that do?

Get Adobe Flash player

Just out of curiousity. Have you measured the trail with the deraked trees on there?

Not really questioning it, just interested in the outcome.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by coeysgarage View Post
    looks sweet!! what do you mean by flipping the triple trees? what did that do?
    FLT uses negative offset trees. The fork tube centerline is behind the steering axis. When used on a conventional frame they have to be installed backwards putting the legs ahead of the steering axis. The resultant trail figure should always be considered when doing this as the FLT trees have negative rake built in.

Bob

Get Adobe Flash player

Sweet.

Reminder:
    Get your new title process going immediately.

Get Adobe Flash player

Looking good!

Get Adobe Flash player

That thing is screaming for a hardtail

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by RetroRob View Post
    That thing is screaming for a hardtail
    Hardtail a pre-'65 drop seat swing arm frame? Are you serious?

Bob

Get Adobe Flash player

you can get good coin for that frame for sure.

Get Adobe Flash player

Neat.

Get Adobe Flash player

Cool start so far.Looks like it's gonna be low.The tranny s a '59?

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks like a cool build but I don't think you get to claim the "Coolest FLT ever" if you ditch the frame. There are HUGE obstacles with those ugly touring frames and I got all excited when I read the title. I thought, "Cool, he's keeping the frame and doing something interesting with it" I thought I might come in and find some inspiration for my build, which would be great seeing as there's practically zero FLT style bikes that were built with any originality and style. I guess I'll keep looking.

** Do you still have the rear wheel from the FLT?

Paul
    Last edited by pnor; 08-17-2013 at 8:28 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by pnor View Post
    Looks like a cool build but I don't think you get to claim the "Coolest FLT ever" if you ditch the frame. There are HUGE obstacles with those ugly touring frames and I got all excited when I read the title. I thought, "Cool, he's keeping the frame and doing something interesting with it" I thought I might come in and find some inspiration for my build, which would be great seeing as there's practically zero FLT style bikes that were built with any originality and style. I guess I'll keep looking.

** Do you still have the rear wheel from the FLT?

Paul
    sorry man didnt mean to get your hopes up and my guess for the reason behind there being no real cool FLTs is because you really can make them cool without cutting everything it would have been more work, time, and money. NOT that im not down for the challange but i have always wanted a bike just like the one im building so it just worked out. As for the tire no I only have the front one left.

Get Adobe Flash player

Buddy of mine got me a tank today and it looks good on the bike, still might use the maroon tank later on but for now its a king sportster tank.

photo null_zpsd0d5b80f.jpg

then it was time tacklet the head light, originally i was going to go with a small light for contrast but when it was up there it just didnt look as good as i wanted it to so i got an old Unity spot light out of storage and my buddy started making a bracket.

photo null_zpsa0e13b93.jpg

photo null_zpsaf6fea37.jpg

photo null_zps4f9559db.jpg

the primary needed to be put on and since i gave all the primary stuff away in the trade and i didnt have enough money for a belt drive yet, its gonna be an open chain.

photo null_zpseba22578.jpg

thats it for tonight but tomorrow will be wiring and exhaust then fire it up, Im having trouble deciding on which shocks to run, 11 inches is too low and the kick ass ones that i have on it now are 13 inches and look too tall i need some 12 or even some 11.5s and it would be perfect, but since im poor that is gonna have to wait till later. heres how she sits now.

photo null_zps698d6432.jpg

photo null_zps8c322356.jpg

photo null_zps03d31ba0.jpg

Get Adobe Flash player

if you can bring that clutch point down on the foot control, I would recommend using the 1/4 from pivot point as a start. It will make the "friction" part way better and jockey shifting will be mucho better. Sharp looking scoot.

ltr Pat

Get Adobe Flash player

Default update

Started the wiring and it wasnt too bad, threw the ignition switch down by the kicker which helps hide all the wire. then it was onto the exhaust. it needed something cool and this is what we came up with.

photo null_zps7896a80d.jpg

photo null_zpsc4f7be8d.jpg

photo null_zpsc099532e.jpg

photo null_zps5edea10f.jpg

photo null_zps4ff9c712.jpg

kicked her over a few times and she fired right up. my buddy has abunch of neighbors who dont like the sound of motorcycles reving up at 3 am so we pushed them down to the gas station for a test drive. for about 30 min we couldnt get the clutch to disengage and let us shit it then finally it clicked into "FIRST" , i let off the pedal and the damn thing started to roll backwards. turns out the transmission was a trike transmission with a reverse gear and 3 forward gears.

so none the less i rode it around like that for 30 min and it ran great forwards and backwards haha. called the guy up today and he said he was sorry for the mix up and that he needed that one back, i so wanted to be a dick and be like well im gonna need some more parts for my bike, but i didnt hes a cool guy with a cool shop and there it was an honest mistake.

tore it all back down so i could get the transmission out but heres a shot of her right before my face hit the handlebars

photo null_zpsebb0214c.jpg

photo null_zpsf0d670ac.jpg

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by bobscogin View Post
    Hardtail a pre-'65 drop seat swing arm frame? Are you serious?

Bob
    The OP states in Post #1 that the frame has already been raked to 40 degrees. I assume once you cut on the front, its o.k. to cut on the rear?

I am concerned about the ground clearance. So are you left looking for a tranny now? Lot's of potential, big twins always look better with sportster tanks. Bwahha!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by IronheadVic View Post
    The OP states in Post #1 that the frame has already been raked to 40 degrees. I assume once you cut on the front, its o.k. to cut on the rear?
    No, but it's OK to restore the neck to its original configuration rather than inflict more damage. That's just my appreciation of rare old parts showing. But wtf, just take a Sawzall to it and hardtail it like everybody else does.

Bob

Get Adobe Flash player

I already have a hardtail bike and i love it so this ones gonna be a swingarm bike for sure. and no, the guy that gave me the trike transmission is a local shop owner so he is getting me a regular 4 speed.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by bobscogin View Post
    No, but it's OK to restore the neck to its original configuration rather than inflict more damage. That's just my appreciation of rare old parts showing. But wtf, just take a Sawzall to it and hardtail it like everybody else does.

Bob
    Don't want to get into a pissing match. I don't understand what is considered worthy of idol worship or not, but I am trying to learn.

I did not realize a restored neck would be 'worthy' in the eyes of people with your position.

You can roll your eyes after the sawzall comment....but this isn't RestoredCult.

That said, I understand preservation and certainly appreciate it.

OP, great to hear you are getting a replacement trans!!
    Last edited by IronheadVic; 08-20-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Share This