CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Exhaust Wrap Pro's/Con's

Just a '2 cents' thread, but I've been tossing around the idea of wrapping the pipes about 1/2 to 3/4 the way (to the support mount) but I've heard a few horror stories of pipes getting too hot and cracking, or steaming in the rain etc. I think it'd look kinda cool but if there's too much shit that comes with it I won't bother.

They're stock pipes on an 88' Sportster, with a little baffling removed.

I'm switching gaskets and they're off anyway so what the hell. Any input's appreciated. Thanks.

Get Adobe Flash player

Exhaust wrap is stupid and so are posts like this on a forum that's supposed to be about chopping and fabricating. That's my 2 cents for the thread.

xllance

Quote Originally Posted by Incrediblah View Post
    Exhaust wrap is stupid and so are posts like this on a forum that's supposed to be about chopping and fabricating. That's my 2 cents for the thread.
    Dude, he didn't ask about what chaps you like best so lighten up. I have my pipes wrapped weather you think it's stupid or not ......well this site is about chopping and fabricating, not giving your opinion when it wasn't requested.

Get Adobe Flash player

If your pipes are rusty anyway go for it. Wrapping is the replacment for spraying pipes with BBQ paint (which works too) when they start looking like ass.

Wrap will retain moisture (I live in the humid, wet, Southeast) so I don't use it on pipes I want to keep.

I'd wrap pipes on something I was selling.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've never had wrap on pipes, just don't like the look myself. I live in a pretty dry area (Bakersfield the first 4 letters describe our 8 month long summer) and I don't really see it around here much, but then I really don't look for it either. I kinda like to be able to see everything easily for a regular visual inspection too, seems like you'd have to unwrap it for that. But, your bike your call.

Get Adobe Flash player

I wrapped my Supertrapp to the collector in order to cut down on the heat and then I put the heat shields back on over the wrap because I think the wrap looks like ass salad; especially once it starts to age.

Get Adobe Flash player

Ok cool, thanks for all the info. They're pretty seasoned anyway and I wouldn't mind spending the money for a new set so I'll play it out for awhile.

Get Adobe Flash player

The black ages pretty bad, the tan looks ok until it gets oil or dirt on it, but I have found that the titanium colored lava wrap is a pretty good all-around choice. I have ridden with it about a year and it still looks nice, plus you can wrap it dry and it stays nice and tight.

Get Adobe Flash player

Get the sealant and it doesnt absorb water, steam, and the wrap stays nice longer. Takes a few coats and it needs to soak in and dry good, but if you're wrapping them to look good, its worth it.

McGrizzle

My heat shields broke on the clamp tabs from rust and were rattling against the pipes, so I took them off. The pipes looked pretty shitty underneath and I'm not gonna be keeping them anyway so I wrapped them just till this winter. I wanna build a 2into1, but this is fine for now. It's just a quick solution for me. I wouldn't put it on nice pipes.

ARBY

Exhaust wrap went out with red wheels and white walls.

McGrizzle

Quote Originally Posted by ARBY View Post
    Exhaust wrap went out with red wheels and white walls.
    ...and there you have it. The bike fashion expert has spoken. Now everyone remove your wrap...or risk being considered "out of style".

xllance

Exhaust wrap.

Pros : You probably like it.

Cons : Some other people that do not own your bike may not like it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by xllance View Post
    Exhaust wrap.

Pros : You probably like it.

Cons : Some other people that do not own your bike may not like it.
    Best response.

Get Adobe Flash player

I like it because my welds look like bubble gum. Keeps my pants from catching fire AGAIN. To each their own. People hate my hardtail because its not a bagger, I say try it you might like it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by xllance View Post
    Dude, he didn't ask about what chaps you like best so lighten up. I have my pipes wrapped weather you think it's stupid or not ......well this site is about chopping and fabricating, not giving your opinion when it wasn't requested.
    Pretty sure he said ANY input is welcome. To be honest, I have wrapped pipes myself at one point in time. These posts are just silly. Get back to the good shit and stop worrying about if people think your wrap looks cool. If YOU like it, do it. Sheesh

Get Adobe Flash player

I wrap my pipes because it keeps me from literally burning through another pair of jeans, and i like the look. Who gives a shit if it's not in fashion? If i rode what was currently fashionable with my customers, I'd own a FXDXT or a FLTR.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

Get Adobe Flash player

it'll hide some ugliness and cut down the heat but your pipes probably won't last as long.

Also, the fashionistas will not rest until everyone rides a rigid with a sporty tank shot with flake through your gramma's favorite vintage lace doily.

Get Adobe Flash player

I wrap my pipes so that it won't be as obvious that I have short shots like everyone else with an EFI sportster...I'm totally pulling off the deception too

Get Adobe Flash player

Wow a lot of really shitty posts.

Pros: Hides ugly pipes, helps heat scavenging, keeps leg temps down.

Cons: Ive personally seen pipes crack from wrap (too tight?), looks shitty after a few months, will leave marks on your pipes.

If you have some bucks get them ceramic coated. That shit rocks (if done well)

Share This