CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Hybrid View

Default Exhaust Wrap Pro's/Con's

Just a '2 cents' thread, but I've been tossing around the idea of wrapping the pipes about 1/2 to 3/4 the way (to the support mount) but I've heard a few horror stories of pipes getting too hot and cracking, or steaming in the rain etc. I think it'd look kinda cool but if there's too much shit that comes with it I won't bother.

They're stock pipes on an 88' Sportster, with a little baffling removed.

I'm switching gaskets and they're off anyway so what the hell. Any input's appreciated. Thanks.

Exhaust wrap is stupid and so are posts like this on a forum that's supposed to be about chopping and fabricating. That's my 2 cents for the thread.

xllance

Quote Originally Posted by Incrediblah View Post
    Exhaust wrap is stupid and so are posts like this on a forum that's supposed to be about chopping and fabricating. That's my 2 cents for the thread.
    Dude, he didn't ask about what chaps you like best so lighten up. I have my pipes wrapped weather you think it's stupid or not ......well this site is about chopping and fabricating, not giving your opinion when it wasn't requested.

If your pipes are rusty anyway go for it. Wrapping is the replacment for spraying pipes with BBQ paint (which works too) when they start looking like ass.

Wrap will retain moisture (I live in the humid, wet, Southeast) so I don't use it on pipes I want to keep.

I'd wrap pipes on something I was selling.

I've never had wrap on pipes, just don't like the look myself. I live in a pretty dry area (Bakersfield the first 4 letters describe our 8 month long summer) and I don't really see it around here much, but then I really don't look for it either. I kinda like to be able to see everything easily for a regular visual inspection too, seems like you'd have to unwrap it for that. But, your bike your call.

I wrapped my Supertrapp to the collector in order to cut down on the heat and then I put the heat shields back on over the wrap because I think the wrap looks like ass salad; especially once it starts to age.

Ok cool, thanks for all the info. They're pretty seasoned anyway and I wouldn't mind spending the money for a new set so I'll play it out for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by xllance View Post
    Dude, he didn't ask about what chaps you like best so lighten up. I have my pipes wrapped weather you think it's stupid or not ......well this site is about chopping and fabricating, not giving your opinion when it wasn't requested.
    Pretty sure he said ANY input is welcome. To be honest, I have wrapped pipes myself at one point in time. These posts are just silly. Get back to the good shit and stop worrying about if people think your wrap looks cool. If YOU like it, do it. Sheesh

Quote Originally Posted by xllance View Post
    Exhaust wrap.

Pros : You probably like it.

Cons : Some other people that do not own your bike may not like it.
    Best response.

I like it because my welds look like bubble gum. Keeps my pants from catching fire AGAIN. To each their own. People hate my hardtail because its not a bagger, I say try it you might like it.

I wrap my pipes because it keeps me from literally burning through another pair of jeans, and i like the look. Who gives a shit if it's not in fashion? If i rode what was currently fashionable with my customers, I'd own a FXDXT or a FLTR.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

it'll hide some ugliness and cut down the heat but your pipes probably won't last as long.

Also, the fashionistas will not rest until everyone rides a rigid with a sporty tank shot with flake through your gramma's favorite vintage lace doily.

I wrap my pipes so that it won't be as obvious that I have short shots like everyone else with an EFI sportster...I'm totally pulling off the deception too

Wow a lot of really shitty posts.

Pros: Hides ugly pipes, helps heat scavenging, keeps leg temps down.

Cons: Ive personally seen pipes crack from wrap (too tight?), looks shitty after a few months, will leave marks on your pipes.

If you have some bucks get them ceramic coated. That shit rocks (if done well)

I like em enough. They make fucking with your bike a total pain in the ass though. Once they wear for a year or so, that fiber glass just gets all kinds of shitty. I always end up covered in it. My pipes are sort of a bitch to get on and off though. Just a thought.

Wrap was invented with high performance racing in mind. If your into getting the most out of you engine; wrap is the way to go. I'm not at all concerned with looks, in it for the speed needed to always ride it like you stole it. nuf said.

Default Header wrap

Somebody mentioned sealer for header wrap; what's up with that and where do you get it.Sounds like good idea if it helps contain wrap falling apart.

gonna wrap mine cause my pipes look like shit anyway and I don't want all that extra heat on my legs.
    Couldn't give a shit less about the haters.

There was a thread here like a year ago that had a link to some kind of performance shop that did all kinds of data testing on wrap vs no wrap on bikes. They had all sorts of data and graphs and it was very technical and long, but basically it concluded that the only place wrap belongs is "on a mummy" That quote really stuck with me, lol

I bought some cheap drag pipes for my vlx, think 60 bucks they were a bit rusty covered them with some performance wrap, moose or something like that. Its about 4 years and 20K miles later they are still good, wrap is gray, looks pretty good to me, no cracks or problems at all, I say go for it. I also say suck my balls if you dont like it or my lace paint job. Hahaha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vlx3.jpg  

Share This