CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I like em enough. They make fucking with your bike a total pain in the ass though. Once they wear for a year or so, that fiber glass just gets all kinds of shitty. I always end up covered in it. My pipes are sort of a bitch to get on and off though. Just a thought.

Get Adobe Flash player

Wrap was invented with high performance racing in mind. If your into getting the most out of you engine; wrap is the way to go. I'm not at all concerned with looks, in it for the speed needed to always ride it like you stole it. nuf said.

Get Adobe Flash player

Wrap was invented with high performance racing in mind. If your into getting the most out of you engine; wrap is the way to go.
    If it helps on motorcycles (which aren't cars and don't have their engine compartment heat issues or long convoluted exhaust systems)then science will support that contention.

Got dyno results for typical chopper engines with and without wrap and no mods between naked and wrapped status?

Got results for road race, motocross or any other serious motorcycle race engines with and without wrap?
    Last edited by farmall; 08-13-2013 at 6:39 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Then science will support that contention.

Got dyno results for typical chopper engines with and without wrap and no mods between naked and wrapped status?
    science?!? don't you know speed is all in the mind?

that being said, i had my stock 2-1 from my 883r wrapped, and it cracked at the collector halfway through the summer. obviously didn't have it on long, but it seemed to hold up if you saturate it with the silicone heat spray. after just a couple weeks mine looked noticeably better than my buddy's who wrapped at the same time and didn't spray.

in an attempt to start off another battle of nothingness, the real question is: do you wrap from front to back, or back to front? i know the ladies have to pay attention to this sort of thing, but i don't even remember how i did it.

Get Adobe Flash player

I use it when the pipes look like shit, Or if Im running high pipes on say a triumph, or if you ride in shorts... I usually only use it on jap flips because craiglist noobs seem to love it. or if its a ratty old ironhead or something, I reuse old white dirty ass wrap from some pipes laying in the garage, leave a bit hanging and torn. performance wise I don't notice shit. but its nice to have when your e start heap stalls now and then and you have a button on your selenoid

Get Adobe Flash player

I wrapped my headers to keep the area near my boot cooler. I got tired of melting my shoes/boots and jeans.

Pros - Less heat on me

Cons-probably ruined the nice finish of the stainless header underneath.

Ever seen formula racing bikes with wrapped exhaust , wonder why not if its a performance mod

xllance

Quote Originally Posted by disturbed1 View Post
    Ever seen formula racing bikes with wrapped exhaust , wonder why not if its a performance mod
    Do you have scientific evidence that you saw a formula race bike ? Do you have proof that they actually exist ?

SamHain

Trapping heat inside doesn't seem good for engine performance. It does have perks for my performance and my pants performance.

Get Adobe Flash player

Wrap can be a performance enhancer, but only for extreme horsepower and/or turbo applications. As exhaust gases cool, they slow down. You want every bit of exhaust gas velocity/scavenging you can get if you're trying to squeeze every last horsepower out of something that's big horsepower to begin with, and again, especially with a big horsepower turbo application.

Realistically, it won't make a bit of measurable difference on 99.999% of vehicles on the planet. But it is kinda nice to not cook a foot or a leg... although I still hate the look of it.

xllance

Quote Originally Posted by SamHain View Post
    Trapping heat inside doesn't seem good for engine performance. It does have perks for my performance and my pants performance.
    Yep, you WANT the heat inside the pipes for performance. This is also the reason it's harder on the pipes and promotes cracking. So the question remains...

There was a thread here like a year ago that had a link to some kind of performance shop that did all kinds of data testing on wrap vs no wrap on bikes. They had all sorts of data and graphs and it was very technical and long, but basically it concluded that the only place wrap belongs is "on a mummy" That quote really stuck with me, lol

Get Adobe Flash player

I bought some cheap drag pipes for my vlx, think 60 bucks they were a bit rusty covered them with some performance wrap, moose or something like that. Its about 4 years and 20K miles later they are still good, wrap is gray, looks pretty good to me, no cracks or problems at all, I say go for it. I also say suck my balls if you dont like it or my lace paint job. Hahaha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vlx3.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Header wrap

Somebody mentioned sealer for header wrap; what's up with that and where do you get it.Sounds like good idea if it helps contain wrap falling apart.

Get Adobe Flash player

gonna wrap mine cause my pipes look like shit anyway and I don't want all that extra heat on my legs.
    Couldn't give a shit less about the haters.

Share This