Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JPWilliams
    • Nov 2009

How to: No Weld Rigid Toolbox mount

I have loved those teardrop toolboxes as long as I have loved motorcycles, so basically as long as I can remember. I've had one on my 1500 Kawasaki for years and of course I had to put one on my shovelhead. I was trying to figure out how to mount it without welding a bracket to frame, because I haven't learned how to weld yet.

So it may have been done like this before, but I did figure this out myself.

You'll need a toolbox, 2 speedo/tach bar clamps(V-Twin No. 28-0325), maybe some longer bolts and acorn nuts, and 3/4 X 1/8 flat stock.

Here's my box painted and ready to mount.

Clamps. My favorite shop, Okie City Customs, had extras in a spare parts bin.

I bought longer bolts, but that may not have been necessary.(Stay Tuned.)

Put the first clamp on.

Put the back of the box in place. (I did patent painting the inside of the box match the two tone, so don't copy me.)

Put the second clamp where it needs to be.

Okay, the original bolts seemed too short and these are too long.

Stuff it full of rags.

Get the cutter.

Get 'er done!

• JPWilliams
    • Nov 2009

Looks good, but I think it will rotate around the frame tube once it's loaded.

So I made flat bar to connect one clamp bolt to the rear brake tab. (I didn't get pictures of the fab work, but it's simple.)

Hard to tell in the pictures, but it clears the disc fine.

Fill it up and go!

Comment

• xllance
      • Apr 2024

Good job, I was thinking of finding some kind of hard bag or solo style bag and mounting it like you did with the tool box. I like it because it's not permanent if you want to change it up later you just remove the clamps.

Comment

• trichardson21
        • Aug 2009

sweet blue inside / black outside. thought you had 2 different boxes at first.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;