T140V in 68 T120 Frame Shifter and rear brake???

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cheatersteve
    • Dec 2012

T140V in 68 T120 Frame Shifter and rear brake???

I have a 1968 t120 front loop that ive been building up. I have a factory metal works hardtail. I have an early triumph rear mechanical brake. My question being, Im think of putting a 77 T140v engine in my 68 frame. I believe it will drop right in???? Correct??? And if it does, On a 77 engine the shifter is on the left side (left when sitting on the bike) and the t120 frame and rear wheel the brake is on the left. is this possible to work? Can the shifter shaft be moved to the right side? Any help or comments are appreciated
  • bobscogin
    • Jun 2011

The 5 speed predates the Federal mandate that put the shifter on the left so the early ones were right side shift. I think that would have been from late '72 through '74. Point is the conversion back to right side can be done with factory parts if you can find them.

Bob

Comment

• TheLakewoodKid2
      • Nov 2009

yes the motor will work in a earlier frame. you could just run a triumph rear disc set up

Comment

• cheatersteve
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by bobscogin
        The 5 speed predates the Federal mandate that put the shifter on the left so the early ones were right side shift. I think that would have been from late '72 through '74. Point is the conversion back to right side can be done with factory parts if you can find them.

Bob
        So the cases are the came where i could run the shaft out the other side? I would have to get an earlier trans cover?

Comment

• Torch
          • Jul 2009

the parts needed to do that are in the 73/74 motors only and are getting real hard to find now days.

you would be better off doing a cross shaft linkage to work the foot brake form the right side, It's not that hard to do.

Comment

• cheatersteve
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Torch
            the parts needed to do that are in the 73/74 motors only and are getting real hard to find now days.

you would be better off doing a cross shaft linkage to work the foot brake form the right side, It's not that hard to do.
            Thanks Torch! Is there a list a list of parts I would specificly need from the 73/74 motors??

Comment

• Torch
              • Jul 2009

the easy way is get a set of inner and outer trans covers from a 72 -74 T120V or a T140V right side shift 5 speed.

you could modify a set of 4 speed covers but it's a lot of work.

then you have a bunch of holes going through the primary side to plug up too.

Comment

• cheatersteve
                • Dec 2012

Has anyone done this conversion and posted Pictures or a turtorial?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;