Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trials
    • Apr 2013

Honda Shadow VLX Wire tuck/Battery Relocation

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone here that has done the fake oil tank for electronics on the Honda Shadow VLX has any suggestions on where to relocate most cables like the rear coil, fuel pump (my bike is a 97 so its dual carb). I'm mainly just wondering how most people went about tucking most the wires just to get some ideas and use as reference. Pics would be great! I was also wondering how people drop their battery with a custom box? there seems to be a cylinder under the stock battery box, is it possible to remove that? without causing any problems? because I don't know how else people would drop the battery.

Here's a picture of the cylinder currently under the stock battery box

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but could someone let me know the exact name for this part? the little grill thing below side cover lol

and heres a bike that has had a complete wire tuck, and oil tank installed for electronics.

Thanks in advance everyone
  • CupidsDeathDay
    • Mar 2013

So i can't tell you much about how to do electronics on that bike or any relocation info but the finned thinga-ma-giggty is a Regulator and/or Rectifier.

The regulator/rectifier converts the AC voltage from the alternator to DC and regulates a constant voltage as not to over charge the battery or burn up the electronics. It is a very expensive piece for its size and is required for a bike to run properly when battery operated.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Trials
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by CupidsDeathDay
      So i can't tell you much about how to do electronics on that bike or any relocation info but the finned thinga-ma-giggty is a Regulator and/or Rectifier.

The regulator/rectifier converts the AC voltage from the alternator to DC and regulates a constant voltage as not to over charge the battery or burn up the electronics. It is a very expensive piece for its size and is required for a bike to run properly when battery operated.

Hope this helps.
      omg yeah its the rectifier lol... Thanks man

Comment

• JamesM
        • Jul 2012

I did it on my '96. I put the second coil up under the tank, and put the fuel pump on top of my electronics box, and under the seat.

I'll get you some detailed pictures later today.

Comment

• Trials
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by JamesM
          I did it on my '96. I put the second coil up under the tank, and put the fuel pump on top of my electronics box, and under the seat.

I'll get you some detailed pictures later today.
          Thanks man, the pics would be much appreciated

Comment

• Trials
            • Apr 2013

I already got the battery placement situated just need some pics for reference for hiding some of the wires if anyone has any thanks

Comment

• nielscase
              • Jul 2013

Would you mind putting any pics of your battery placement up? I also have a vlx project and was looking for some of this same information.

Comment

• TJBC
                • Aug 2009

hey man! good to see someone playing with their VLX! the pic of that red bike you posted, i built the gas tank for it actually! i see it pop up all the time, its my buddy Youngs bike =)

so to address your questions, the canister under your bike, you can get rid of that and all the hoses that plug into it, its an charcoal evap canister for your EPA crap. you dont need it, the area it occupies is a great place to stash a battery and you can relocate your REG/REC unit down there too, just make sure it gets plenty of air. just build a cradle or battery box to fit in that space, allows you to clear up a lot of the under seat area on the bike.

you might want to reference my websites gallery to see some pics of how some of my bikes are set up. might spark some ideas for you!

with the coils you have two options. one, you can relocate one of the coils between the backbone and either fab a mount for it or just zip tie it to the frame. the second option doesnt really apply to you since you have a dual carb but for single carb bikes i build a coil relocation bracket that situates both coils in between the cylinders on the left hand side of the bike. looks classy as hell and simplifies your wiring issues.

If you have any other questions feel free to message me or email or call, anytime, im happy to help you get your bike rollin man!

Comment

• nielscase
                  • Jul 2013

Haha, its funny you say that TJ, your site has been one of my main go to places to look at all this stuff. Also I will be buying your tank(when I have the funds), how much room is there under your tank to mount things, and I was planning on just redoing the wiring to eliminate as much as possible. With that being said, what all can you remove from this bike? Also I noticed that you usually replace the coolant reservoir with something better looking than the plastic one. What rules do you need to follow doing that? Lots of questions but it seems like a good place for them, and thank you for your help.
                  Last edited by nielscase; 07-18-2013, 5:40 AM.

Comment

• RedemptionCycling79
                    • Mar 2013

coolant overflow can

Hey bro, good luck on your build. Lots of us here on CC that are into VLX chops and you should be able to get all the help you need.
                    In reference to the "coolant canister". It is an overflow res. for when it gets too hot and allows the excess fluid/gasses somewhere to go to NOT blow off the top of the radiator! LOL.
                    There are many options, basically whatever cool item you can come up with to attach where you think looks cool. It is nice to have, although not critical for operation. I have even just run the hose under the bike and let it drip onto the pavement under the bike. Fact is, if the fan and such are operating properly, not much fluid ever runs through this except on very hot days! And that is coming from a guy in Florida that rides EVERYDAY in 90+degree heat.
                    What I did was used one of those metal water bottles that you can get everywhere. Actually, I think Biltwell that sells them for a "reserve fuel bottle" for road trips. But you can find them for about 5-15$ depending.
                    I do pinstriping and paint at my shop so I added some custom stripes on it and just used some hose clamps to attach it to the left down tube. The ones I use have a fairly small "mouth" so I was able to find a brass threaded plug at the hardware store, and attach the hose Sometimes you can even find a pvc water fitting that has a fitting on the other end.
                    It IS a good idea to also drill and insert a second piece either beside the hose, or on the shoulder of the bottle, to allow venting. You can just use a small hole, a plug, a valve, etc. Obviously since this is used during overheating, it is a good idea to be able to expend those gasses should it become pressurized. But it is NOT essential. I just drilled a small ( 1/8" hole in the top plug beside the hose to allow the pressure or steam to release if needed.
                    Another added option is to place a second threaded plug or valve in the bottom, in case you need to drain the bottle. That way you can simply remove the plug or open a valve to drain it without removing the bottle from the bike.
                    I don't have any pics to show you right now as I have mine off right now since I am doing some other work with radiator options at the moment, but a.s.a.p. I will get a picture and post for you to check out.
                    At my shop, Redemption Cycling, I build custom steel frame race bicycles, do custom fab work on motorcycles, as well as custom paint/pinstriping. This is actually a product I am perfecting to put in my Etsy store. If you need any help, or would like to just buy one shoot me a message, and I'll see what I can do for you.
                    Good Luck bro,
                    Dave

Comment

• nielscase
                      • Jul 2013

Dave I am in florida too, but way south of you. Good information on the coolant reservoir, I will be looking for something interesting to use now. Also gotta some work to do mocking up all new mounting spots for a lot of my electronics. Lots to do to this bike but once I get all the money for parts I will be sure to make a post on my progress. Lots of helpful vlx builders on here so far, and I am loving this website.

Comment

• TJBC
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by nielscase
                        Haha, its funny you say that TJ, your site has been one of my main go to places to look at all this stuff. Also I will be buying your tank(when I have the funds), how much room is there under your tank to mount things, and I was planning on just redoing the wiring to eliminate as much as possible. With that being said, what all can you remove from this bike? Also I noticed that you usually replace the coolant reservoir with something better looking than the plastic one. What rules do you need to follow doing that? Lots of questions but it seems like a good place for them, and thank you for your help.
                        I'm glad you dig the site man! Thansk!
                        Theres enough room under the tank to stuff a ton of crap in there, coils, electronics, plenty of space.
                        what can you remove from the bike? A LOT! the easiest way to remove extra crap is to unplug everything you dont want. 90% of the stuff on the shadows is plugged into a main harness. they are pretty simple. you can also remove the evap reservoir ( white triangular reservoir between the backbones) along with your charcoal canister, and all the hoses connected to it.
                        If you replace your coolant reservoir you will need to make sure there is a small airhole in the container so the container isnt pressurized. and a send tube needs to go into the container as well.
                        feel free to ask as many questions as you want man! if you dont ask any questions you never get smarter! =)
                        Have fun dude!

Comment

• vagrant318
                          • Sep 2010

Great info here, where do the hoses from the charcoal cannister go? Im going to remove that sucker ASAP!

Comment

• EarthMachine13
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by TJBC
                            I'm glad you dig the site man! Thansk!
                            Theres enough room under the tank to stuff a ton of crap in there, coils, electronics, plenty of space.
                            what can you remove from the bike? A LOT! the easiest way to remove extra crap is to unplug everything you dont want. 90% of the stuff on the shadows is plugged into a main harness. they are pretty simple. you can also remove the evap reservoir ( white triangular reservoir between the backbones) along with your charcoal canister, and all the hoses connected to it.
                            If you replace your coolant reservoir you will need to make sure there is a small airhole in the container so the container isnt pressurized. and a send tube needs to go into the container as well.
                            feel free to ask as many questions as you want man! if you dont ask any questions you never get smarter! =)
                            Have fun dude!
                            If I remove the evap reservoir can I just remove the hoses along with it and everything be good? Do I need to plug the hole at the airbox and put one of those little air filters on top of the engine?
                            Last edited by EarthMachine13; 02-13-2014, 9:16 PM.

Comment

• TJBC
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by EarthMachine13
                              If I remove the evap reservoir can I just remove the hoses along with it and everything be good? Do I need to plug the hole at the airbox and put one of those little air filters on top of the engine?
                              nice to see someone paid attention to something i wrote!
                              if you run your stock airbox, you need to plug the hole on the back of the airbox with a vacuum plug
                              The hose coming from the rear cylinder is a breather, you can either run a hose from there to the atmosphere, or you can squich one of those small breather filters in there. you can find em at auto szone but you will need to drill out the hole. the ones ive found at auto stores dont have big enough holes to fit the breather port. =) hope this helps man!

you might wanna check out my youtube channel TJBRUTALCUSTOMS i have a few videos up there that you might find helpful!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;