Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EVILBLACKSABRE
    • Dec 2013

I have two Honda Shadows that both had emission control systems ( the charcoal canister is a part of that system). The emission control system on one bike (older model) had two valves controlling the flow of air to the carbs. The system on my other bike (more recent model) had three valves.

As a result of removing the emision control systems, it was necessary to cap the nipples on the carbs that all the hoses were connected to. Bike won't run if you don't cap those openings. Get some high-temp rubber caps for that purpose and just stick them on. Mine have been in place for years.

Removing the emission control system from just one of my bikes left me with a pile of junk- charcoal canister, air-flow valves, various mounting brackets, and an assortment of hoses. Bikes ran better after ditching the systems. And fortunately for me, they don't inspect bikes here in California.

Comment

• TJBC
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by JamesM
      I did it on my '96. I put the second coil up under the tank, and put the fuel pump on top of my electronics box, and under the seat.

I'll get you some detailed pictures later today.
      fyi, you can delete the fuel pump from the bike if you so desire, also adds to the slimming down of the electronics, drops a few pounds off the bike =)

Comment

• EarthMachine13
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by TJBC
        fyi, you can delete the fuel pump from the bike if you so desire, also adds to the slimming down of the electronics, drops a few pounds off the bike =)
        Last night I worked a few hours on relicating my fuel pump up next to the front ignition coil. But if I can just get rid of it that's better. I have a 1998 bike. Your saying I can run the fuel line straight from the petcock to a fuel filter into the carbs and have no problems with the biking running properly? That means I can eliminate the fuel pump relay too obviously?

Comment

• TJBC
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by EVILBLACKSABRE
          I have two Honda Shadows that both had emission control systems ( the charcoal canister is a part of that system). The emission control system on one bike (older model) had two valves controlling the flow of air to the carbs. The system on my other bike (more recent model) had three valves.

As a result of removing the emision control systems, it was necessary to cap the nipples on the carbs that all the hoses were connected to. Bike won't run if you don't cap those openings. Get some high-temp rubber caps for that purpose and just stick them on. Mine have been in place for years.

Removing the emission control system from just one of my bikes left me with a pile of junk- charcoal canister, air-flow valves, various mounting brackets, and an assortment of hoses. Bikes ran better after ditching the systems. And fortunately for me, they don't inspect bikes here in California.
          There are some nipples you need to plug and others that need to be left open, bowl vents and slide vents. i have posted a video on youtube to help people out with this - Dual carb jetting and air hose removal i also have a video for the single carbs on the same channel

I also make a blockoff plate to cap off the reed valves from the AIS hoses. available on my webstore hopefully those videos help people out so they dont have to suffer through figuring out what the eff to do with all that bullshit under the tank!

Comment

• TJBC
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by EarthMachine13
            Last night I worked a few hours on relicating my fuel pump up next to the front ignition coil. But if I can just get rid of it that's better. I have a 1998 bike. Your saying I can run the fuel line straight from the petcock to a fuel filter into the carbs and have no problems with the biking running properly? That means I can eliminate the fuel pump relay too obviously?
            yup, the bike will run fine without the pump. ive run a dozen or so bikes without the fuel pump and had no problems at all. and yes you can delete the fuel relay if you want.

and i suggest you go listen to some metal have a beer and celebrate your bike dropping a good 6 lbs. =D

Comment

• EarthMachine13
              • Feb 2014

yup, the bike will run fine without the pump. ive run a dozen or so bikes without the fuel pump and had no problems at all. and yes you can delete the fuel relay if you want.

and i suggest you go listen to some metal have a beer and celebrate your bike dropping a good 6 lbs. =D
              thanks for all the help

Comment

• EarthMachine13
                • Feb 2014

so i got rid of the fuel pump and its running great i just dont like how it looks that much. What are my restrictions on running the fuel lines? can they curve up and down as long as they are not pinched and stay lower than the petcock? are there smaller fuel filters out there im overlooking?

Comment

• Jaack86
                  • Apr 2014

How did you get on with the fuel line?

What did you decide to do? I have thought about dropping my pump and associated stuff.

Have you had and drop on either cylinder?

I've read a couple of times that to have a successful gravity fed dual carb vlx with stock tank you need to allow a small air hole in the tank to allow the gravity feed to work correctly. Any truth in this?

Comment

• Shittyvlx
                    • Oct 2014

Mines dual carb with no pump.. runs fine.

Comment

• Hades
                      • Jun 2015

Anyone have pictures of which holes need plugging when the white triangular piece is removed?

Comment

• TheVoyager
                        • Jun 2014

Hey guys.
                        Bringing an old thread up here.

Read I can remove the evap canister /EPA as it's not needed?

Here's a pic.

I read on page 1 of this thread from TJB CUSTOMS that I can totally remove this.

Can someone please confirm this and any measures I have to take?

I read you have to cap your carb? I'm unsure on this, can anyone enlighten me please?

Thanks.

Comment

• MyriadRocker
                          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by TheVoyager
                          Hey guys.
                          Bringing an old thread up here.

Read I can remove the evap canister /EPA as it's not needed?

Here's a pic.

I read on page 1 of this thread from TJB CUSTOMS that I can totally remove this.

Can someone please confirm this and any measures I have to take?

I read you have to cap your carb? I'm unsure on this, can anyone enlighten me please?

Thanks.
                          TJ Styles has an excellent YouTube video on it. You can most certainly take out that charcoal evap canister. It's junk.

Comment

• TheVoyager
                            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by RedemptionCycling79
                            In reference to the "coolant canister". It is an overflow res. for when it gets too hot and allows the excess fluid/gasses somewhere to go to NOT blow off the top of the radiator! LOL.
                            There are many options, basically whatever cool item you can come up with to attach where you think looks cool. It is nice to have, although not critical for operation. I have even just run the hose under the bike and let it drip onto the pavement under the bike. Fact is, if the fan and such are operating properly, not much fluid ever runs through this except on very hot days! And that is coming from a guy in Florida that rides EVERYDAY in 90+degree heat.
                            Old thread alert!

This keeps popping up when I search this forum for the issue I have.

The coolant res.... Is it possible to not run one, and as poster says just run the pipe to 'atmosphere'?

I want to get rid of the original cause it's so decking rank! And the idea of sticking a teas flask on my bike isn't exactly conjuring up images of rebellion and Satanic worship.

What's people's thoughts / experiences on this?

Comment

• Ganso
                              • Apr 2015

You need it. If you're doing a fake oil tank stick in there and have a gauge outside to keep you aware of the level.
                              Last edited by Ganso; 01-28-2016, 9:08 AM.

Comment

• Slamgears
                                • Oct 2015

Yeah just hide it. Res doesn't need to be big as long as it has a little reserve.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;