Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbswear
    • Jul 2013

Bad news: Stripped spark plug hole.

Good news: A Shovel mechanic on another forum is sending me a Timesert kit so I can repair the one that's buggered and set up the other three to prevent it in the future.

Progression note: I picked up the brass hardware for my oil lines today and should have the drag pipes in the mail next week for mounting so I can figure out the location of my rear MC and oil filter.

Comment

• Postal
      • Dec 2010

Nice build man, but you might wan´t to re-think that oil tank mounting. It ain´t gonna hold, if this thing will get ridden any decent amount.

Comment

• jbswear
        • Jul 2013

Yeah, I'm gonna change it when I pull it apart for paint--a lower cross member with a shorter, straight arm to the lower mounting bung. This bracket only has to last through engine testing and a couple of shake down runs.

Comment

• brooklynbomber
          • Sep 2011

That oil tank is killing me. Love all the work you've put into this bike and I just hate that part. Would look so nice with a horseshoe oil bag, or just that same one relocated behind the seat tube. I'm all for doing things a little different but in my opinion, there's a reason you dont really ever see them mounted like you have them. Not meant to offend at all, just throwin my $.02 down.

Comment

• jbswear
            • Jul 2013

No offense taken, man. There are two (main) reasons you don't see the oil tanks up front like that: Space and convenience. Most bikes don't have the space up front like mine does; the rake allows for it. It's also *really* convenient to mount a tank under the seat. It's a lot of work to mount it in front of the frame.

I've heard as many "That's fucking cool!" as I have "That's ugly as fuck!" opinions on the oil tank, and I'm cool with either one. This bike is meant to turn heads, whether in disgust or in lust. Some hate the apes; they think I should run drags. I'm running the apes because I'm a short shit and drags would be uncomfortable. Some hate the springs under the seat. I'm running them because I think they look cool and want at least *some* suspension for my aging bones. Some are gonna hate the 4' tall sissy bar I'm gonna make this spring; I think 4' is *just* tall enough.

Oh, and my dad, who gave me the bike, thinks the oil tank is uber cool. That's good enough for me.

Comment

• jbswear
              • Jul 2013

My daughters approve

Comment

• jbswear
                • Jul 2013

New Paughco pipes came in today. The front pipe isn't supported yet, so it's sagging. They are set up for Kromewerks baffles, but currently are unbaffled. I intend on cutting them shorter to install cocktail shaker mufflers, though.

Comment

• jbswear
                  • Jul 2013

The little one wanted some cuddle time while I was setting the timing. She had just woke up from a nap and wasn't ready to get up just yet.

Comment

• KustomCandy
                    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by j

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/smpr_fi_mac/media/Shovelhead%20rebuild/Frame%20work/DPP_1608Medium_zps07b9bc31.jpg.html
                    [/URL]

Nice work Man.

+3 on that oil tank. Man, that was giving me the Horror's the way that was mounted.

When building your brackets design for Vertical support. You have only Horizontal with what you have. That their is gonna vibrate its self to faillier in no time!
                    I think the Bungs could stay, But add more rigidity to your brackets..

Me. I'd mount it lower, Just cause it'd look sweeter. But each to their own.

....Carry on

Dan

Comment

• nuklhd
                      • Sep 2013

that pic of your daughter shows whats really important. very sweet shot.
                      on the top pieces of the oil tank bracket just add a gusset to each one.

Comment

• jbswear
                        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by KustomCandy
                        Nice work Man.

+3 on that oil tank. Man, that was giving me the Horror's the way that was mounted.

When building your brackets design for Vertical support. You have only Horizontal with what you have. That their is gonna vibrate its self to faillier in no time!
                        I think the Bungs could stay, But add more rigidity to your brackets..

Me. I'd mount it lower, Just cause it'd look sweeter. But each to their own.

....Carry on

Dan

Dunno if I posted it earlier in the thread, but if not: When I know everything is working, I'll cut this off and build a new hanger. It'll be *two* cross members, one for the upper arms and one for the lower. They'll all be gusseted. I'll also angle them so the inlet/outlet on the tank hang vertically.

I might lower it a bit, but if I do, it won't be much; I want to ensure the oil pump gets fed properly.

Originally posted by nuklhd
                        that pic of your daughter shows whats really important. very sweet shot.
                        on the top pieces of the oil tank bracket just add a gusset to each one.

Thanks!

Comment

• jbswear
                          • Jul 2013

A little more progress. My carb is now hard mounted with a 90* elbow that moves it forward. Now the air cleaner won't take chunks out of my knee. Yes, I may lose .0004 seconds on throttle response, but I'm pretty sure it's worth the trade off. I now need to cap off the vacuum nipple on top of the carb's throat and figure out a bracket to hold the overly-long choke cable.

I also got the clutch hub and basket installed. I need to find a 1 1/8" socket so I can torque it on and then fab up a tool to install the pressure plate.

I'm *this* close to starting it. Get the clutch finished, find three 7/16-20 nuts/washers, wire up my battery and coils, and then I can kick it over.

Comment

• jbswear
                            • Jul 2013

Got the clutch installed and adjusted, along with the primary belt. Filled the oil tank, temporarily hung the oil filter on the bike, pulled the spark plugs, and started kicking.

Damnit! It appears the shop that assembled my oil pump screwed up...no oil returning to the tank and it's hemorrhaging oil from between the inner body and the engine case. I'm not pissed...yet. If they fix it, all will be forgiven.

Here's where it sits now:

Also, found a fix for the over-long choke cable.

Works a charm and looks great!

Comment

• jbswear
                              • Jul 2013

It's alive again. It's been 33 years since it last ran. It's not running "well" now--idle is too low and the engine puked a lot of oil out, but it fires. On points.

I'm one excited little man.

Comment

• swade41
                                • Apr 2013

Congrats on the fire up man !

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;