X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lovechild
    • May 2012

Sportster CV Carb

Hello all!

Currently riding a 1989 sportster. Stock pipes, moon air cleaner. Bike was running a bit shit, and it had one of those dynojet kits fitted, so i decided to change back to stock. Stock needle, stock spring,stock emulsion tube, 45 slow and 165 main, and changed the plastic fuel inlet for a brass one. Now the bike will barely run.

I have noticed that when i have the bike is running at idle, if i have the air cleaner off, i can see fuel spraying out from the needle jet. Which then just sits behind the butterfly until the throttle is opened, then the bike dies or has a major backfire through the carb. Im guessing this isnt right!

I have made sure the needle jet is in the right way, with the chamfered edge going into the venturi. Although i have noticed that the emulsion tube doesn't screw all the way in, as there are still threads exposed. Is this right?

Has anyone got any idea whats wrong!?

Any help will be much appreciated, as it sucks finally having some nice weather here in the U.K, and no bike to ride!

Cheers
  • GermanG
    • Apr 2013

Sounds like float level is far to high. Could it be that you have bent the float a little when you changed the jets? I do not have the manual on hand now, but I guess the correct setting is somewhere in the net.
    If you can not get it right, sent the good weather south east to Germany for the weekend! Thanks in advance! Georg

Comment

• lovechild
      • May 2012

Thanks George, but i already checked the float height and it was right.

Comment

• armand
        • Jan 2012

sportster cv

Ripped the diaphragm?
        The xlforum is a great spot for sporty stuff

Comment

• blackjx
          • Dec 2012

The mainjet holder got changed with the kit. It sounds like maybe you didn't change it back to stock, maybe?

Comment

• xllance
            • Apr 2024

Part # 5....is it installed correctly ? If it's upside down, I'm thinking the emulsion tube wont thread all the way in. Try flipping it and see what happens.

On the bottom link, I think it's part #90.....
            Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2013, 9:52 PM.

Comment

• lovechild
              • May 2012

Thanks for the replies guys. I have the stock jet holder installed, and the needle jet that sits under it is definitely the right way up. Looks like the slide may have been drilled out so i am going to replace it. However, i can't see why this would make fuel leak up through the needle jet. The only way to stop it is to completely close the butterfly but then the bike dies.

Comment

• hillakilla
                • Apr 2011

are you sure you have the right amount of spacers under the needle, or the clip on the right slot?

Comment

• dakota
                  • Nov 2011

diapragm

check the diaphragm if you haven't . It's easy to check, and fix if it is the culprit.

Comment

• blackjx
                    • Dec 2012

WAIT! I think '88 or ;89 CV's have no accelerator pump. If you got a needle for the no-pump carb, it'll spray like you describe.

Comment

• lovechild
                      • May 2012

My carb has no accel pump. So are you saying that fuel spraying out of the needle jet at idle is normal?

Bike wont even start on the choke now. Tried earlier today, and it just backfired, blowing the carb right off the manifold!

Does this sound deeper than a carb problem?

Comment

• xllance
                        • Apr 2024

You more than likely have something wrong with the needle seat, needle or emulsion tube. Are you 100% sure the seat is installed with the longer portion up ? Didn't you say the emulsion tube wont thread all the way in ? If that's the case then I'd say you need to double check that.

Comment

• xllance
                          • Apr 2024

Originally posted by lovechild
                          My carb has no accel pump. So are you saying that fuel spraying out of the needle jet at idle is normal?

Bike wont even start on the choke now. Tried earlier today, and it just backfired, blowing the carb right off the manifold!

Does this sound deeper than a carb problem?
                          What the hell ? Blowing the carb off the manifold. Crap I hate to go on another carb support bracket rant !!

Comment

• nastycitydago
                            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by xllance
                            What the hell ? Blowing the carb off the manifold. Crap I hate to go on another carb support bracket rant !!
                            Lol did that when the first time I ever cleaned a carb ... Once it flew off , scaring the crap outta me, believe me , ill always make sure I put the support bracket on before running and tuning it, hahaha looking back , shits funny now.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;