X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimboslice
    • Jun 2013

74 ironhead looking for ideas

Hey All,

I am new to chopcult. I have been checking it out for a bit now but I just signed up. I recently picked up a 74 ironhead (this is my first harley). The guy before me was going to build a board tracker style bike so it has two 21inch wheels on it. I am not really sure what I want to do with it yet. I am not a well funded builder but I am willing to throw some cash into it.

Here are some of the things I was thinking about doing if I keep the 21 inch rear rim. I would wan to do a really low hardtail frame and get the riders seated position below the top of the back wheel. I would also want to do a cook customs front end girder but I haven't the slightest idea how to go about that.

I was also thinking about going to a smaller back rim and doing a king and queen seat on a hardtail.

Let me know what you guys think. Pics are always a plus.

Click image for larger version

Name:	iron.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	1334139
  • BrandonThePleb
    • Feb 2011

Don't do anything! just ride for at least the whole summer.
    Ok maybe get a smaller back wheel but that's it! just get it running and ride then after that ride some more.

Comment

• brooklynbomber
      • Sep 2011

Looks like a moped with a Sportster motor.

Comment

• 70sironhead
        • Feb 2013

im doing my first project build also,its a 74 iron head......im more a fan of the old school look,so a 16 or 18 rear n absolutly king n queen if your not going solo..only reason i didnt stay king n queen is cause i found a really rad tall back rest chopper seat....so,im going old school choppa, with a few new school touches....but u got a really nice looking starter,,,and yea,only way to keep that rear wheel...u gotta go with low,low seating...but hey,its ur sled,fk tha rest of us that dont prefer it!!! good luck, man!

Comment

• GermanG
          • Apr 2013

Brandon is right! First do nothing and do a full service on the bike. Fluids, valves, ignition and get it runing this summer. Go to as many bike meetings and parties you can and look at other bikes to get a feel for what looks good. I could think that keeping an Ironhead running will eat up a lot of your money.

This is my personal opinion: There are certain aesthetic rules that make a bike look good. Mostly propotions of parts, surfaces and colors. Most important is for me that every single part looks good to me and bike is assembled nice and clean.

And: form follows function. The question is: What are you using your bike for? Riding to work, going on rides with your girl, or doing camping trips?

Please do not cut it and make it a rigid. There are already so many and a swingarm bike can look so good!

Please remember that you are now riding a bike thats engine was designed 60 years ago and is now 38 years old. Do not trash it on the highway! Do not rev your engine like you reved your jap multi.You would not sent your grandma on a marathon, wouldn`t you? I do not want to follow another my Ironhead engine blew up thread.
          Good luck and have fun! Georg

This is my latest project, struts will not stay on. Shocks are to the powder coater.
          Attached Files

Comment

• xllance
            • Apr 2024

I would swap to a 16 or 18 rear before I even invited anyone over to see it or post pics on ChopCult. Then I would just start riding it to get you and the bike aquainted ( it's going to be a slow process, Ironheads are shy) and to work out the mechanical bugs. That should keep you busy awhile. It has potential and I agree about not hardtailing it. I would leave the forks like they are. Oh and be patient !!

Edit....18 rear not 19.

Garsh Nosebleed, I'm blushing ! Haha!!
            Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2013, 6:59 PM.

Comment

• Nosebleed
              • Mar 2010

Welcome to the Cult and Harley ownership. Now, I preface my comments by saying that I don't own an Ironhead but I like em and know a bunch of guys who do own them.

Looking at your pic and reading your ideas, my thoughts are this: I agree with Lance and the other guys and I happen to know that Lance is among the most "in the know" Ironhead guys on ChopCult (and a dashing, suave and charming gentleman as well). Learning to live with an Ironhead takes some time and you are going to learn a lot about your bike through trial and error.

As for the board tracker look, I don't see it happening with that frame and the rake on it. Board tracker bikes have very little rake and making that frame work with that style might be more trouble than it's worth. I would definitely get that thing up and running, make sure the tires are good, maybe slap some paint on it and start riding. Things are going to go out and need replacing, probably almost immediately so don't blow all of your money on parts that aren't essential just yet.

And finally, yes, please ditch the 21 inch wheel in the rear. If you go board tracker with it youre looking at a $10,000 investment by the time you get the fab work done, new springer and everything else. Probably not going to happen overnight unless youve got plenty of cash. In the meantime, throw a 16 inch rear on there and enjoy.

Comment

• jimboslice
                • Jun 2013

Thanks for the input guys. I should probably have mentioned that the bike does run. It needs some fine tuning on the carb. Im sure like you guys said things will go out and I will have to replace them but the PO was a good mechanic (crappy fabricator though) and Im pretty confident the motor is in decent shape.

I agree that to do the board tracker look it would take to much money so I will prob swap out the back wheel for hopefully a 19 inch. I have always like the cafe style look so I might go that route.

The front end is from a 2005 sporty. The spacers on the triple tree are off to so the thing wobbles like crazy so I will probably be replacing the front end. Was thinking about doing a springer front end.

Thanks for the help guys and Lance Ill be sure to post way more pics of its current set up for you.

Comment

• Beardedrev
                  • Jun 2012

Get a shop manual and the ironhead manual video from lowbrow. It does wonders especially if its your first Harley. You'd be suprised what you can do on your own. And the guys here will help too.

As for the bike, small rear wheel. That 21 will be catchin all the grooves!!! Ride it for a while, tune it. Then CTFS!!!

Comment

• shovelpan69
                    • May 2012

well this dude gets my vote for badest fucking ironhead ive ever seen. DO THAT.

photo KillerIronheadBobber_zps930c5a62.jpg

Comment

• dexxx
                      • Jun 2012

ill take the 21 rear off your hands!

Comment

• Bukwild
                        • Oct 2012

mine

my 76
                        Attached Files

Comment

• 72chrysler
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by shovelpan69

photo KillerIronheadBobber_zps930c5a62.jpg
                          That was my desktop while i was building mine. So badass.

Comment

• goldbeardsdelight
                            • Jun 2012

slam the front and blast some clip-ons and that shit would be awesome.

Comment

• goldbeardsdelight
                              • Jun 2012

Originally posted by brooklynbomber
                              Looks like a moped with a Sportster motor.
                              it really does.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;