CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Hank Young is my hero - discuss ?

So anyway, British tv is crap so I was looking around youtube and came across a couple episodes of biker build off featuring hank young. I do realise that watching anything to do with the discovery channel is a mortal sin but if you take it for what it's worth ie. seeing how other people fabricate and solve problems it's a good learning tool.

Hank young has no body art, no skull rings, no swasticas in the shop, no mc affiliation t-shirt, no trash talk. Just a regular guy who has a long history of bikes and cars, and also a dad who's still involved. The bike was sensible, no silly rake and IMO was a better build than Cole Fosters.

Just a regular guy who just does what he does - hero

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by calv View Post
    So anyway, British tv is crap so I was looking around youtube and came across a couple episodes of biker build off featuring hank young. I do realise that watching anything to do with the discovery channel is a mortal sin but if you take it for what it's worth ie. seeing how other people fabricate and solve problems it's a good learning tool.

Hank young has no body art, no skull rings, no swasticas in the shop, no mc affiliation t-shirt, no trash talk. Just a regular guy who has a long history of bikes and cars, and also a dad who's still involved. The bike was sensible, no silly rake and IMO was a better build than Cole Fosters.

I agree.

Get Adobe Flash player

He had a few bikes in The Horse for a year or two and practically disappeared from it. The bike he built for himself, Poon Tang, I thought was cool.

ARBY

Quote Originally Posted by calv View Post

Yeah but he has a very high opinion of himself and what he does. I spoke to him a few times a while back about getting some exhaust pipes made. When I was ready to place the order I asked the price - he said "$1,600! I laughed and asked if he was serious. He got a wee bit indignant and said, "then do it yourself if you think it's so easy." So I did and it was! Fuckin' rock stars.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ARBY View Post
    Yeah but he has a very high opinion of himself and what he does. I spoke to him a few times a while back about getting some exhaust pipes made. When I was ready to place the order I asked the price - he said "$1,600! I laughed and asked if he was serious. He got a wee bit indignant and said, "then do it yourself if you think it's so easy." So I did and it was! Fuckin' rock stars.
    i can totally relate arby. i went to my local indy shop one day to buy some parts for a bike i was working on. the shop owner had an old ironhead up on the lift and was talking to the owner about it. they were discussing changing handlebars, forward controls, lights and a bunch of misc. tid bits. before you know it the bill was already up at 1500 and counting, the owner of the bike apparently agreed! i guess it boils down to the crowd you are catering to and how much they are willing to pay for someone to solve their problems. not every guy that walks through Hanks door will have his higher end client's budgets so they have to weed out the lowest guys on the totem pole. another example is Jessie James who said he got so good at what he was doing that people coming into the shop would prevent him from doing his work. the only way to keep guys away is charge a million dollars i guess!

Get Adobe Flash player

Flying Pan. Nuff said.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ARBY View Post
    yeah, his shop is down the street from here so I stopped in and showed him a pic of slimsfab's rubbermount sissy bar and asked if he could do it...told him slim wanted around 100 bucks according to a guy on hdforums. I almost think I offended him. He did seem to be a nice guy though

needless to say, me no get sissy bar made

Get Adobe Flash player

That's a shame silly prices and wannabees who buy their way into a scene rather spending time and actually being the scene.

There's a bike builder over here selling their own brand springers for 1200 which is about $1800. I'd love some but can't afford, I'll pick up some used quality springers for half the price and refurbish them.

Get Adobe Flash player

I dont know a thing about hank other other than what I've seen on tv and on the Internet. ......but I'm pretty sure he's been around for a while and has always charged a lot. He's pretty much established himself as a high dollar shop and apparently there's plenty of people around to pay those prices. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.......$1600 for pipes is pretty funny though

Get Adobe Flash player

When you consider some dudes will pay 500+ for mass produced pipes I'm sure there are dudes who pay 1600 for "one off" jobs. People are crazy

Share This