Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

That's a new (Hi-Tech) look for the 48 ... !!

Well, does appear that some finesse will be needed to fit it up ...

1) The trans top lid or the seat post will need some clearnacing ..

Should be a easy cure for that small problem ..

Got the trans sitting where it needs to go ??
    Trans case is almost touching the seat post ...

2) The motor plate looks like it going to need a spacer between it and the motor case .. ??
    Called the manufacturer and was telling them about these new found problems ..
    They are sending to me a .200" spacer to fill the gap ..

Last edited by Dragstews; 10-07-2022, 1:21 PM.
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

Interesting. If spacer no workee and needs to be longer I can turn one to size after I pick up the pile. Round stuff not a problem.

Clearancing not a problem for me either. Shifter arm length may change since I like the longer throw from either a longer front arm (I use Dyna arms on my FXRs) or maybe in this case a shorter gearbox arm though a quick kiss of a flap disc looks as if it should clear.

I'll be doing considerable fiddling anyway in the lower frame region since I want mid controls. Tentative plan is mock up using spare Shovelhead brake side parts suitably modified. Those and the sprung seat should be decent to my back.
      Last edited by farmall; 10-06-2022, 11:42 AM.

Comment

• Dragstews
        • Sep 2010

Well, kiss my grits and butter my biscuits !!

Found a small problem with the fit ...

Using the rear corner bolt in the mounting plate for alining purposes showed the problem ...

The motorplate needs to go further in on the case ...

Which it cannot do cause of the motor case seal/bearing support is .026" larger (O.D.) than the plate hole is (I.D.) ...
        The bearing support does have a shoulder, meaning a step cut most likely will be needed on the motorplate ... ??

Better warm up the Bridgeport, it's got a job to do ....

In the below photo shows the step ....

Well Hell ...
        So much for that "Plug & Play" shi ... errrr ... stuff .. !!

The good news is the trans case to seat post might have enough room that it will not need mods to work ... ??

Of Course when the motorplate is sitting where it needs to be that bit of room is going to diminish ...
        (Might be as tight as bark on a tree)
        Last edited by Dragstews; 10-06-2022, 4:56 PM.

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Good finds!

Praise be to HDs simple design for making that relatively easy to sort out. You're obviously right about boring the plate.

The bolt holes in the plate are interesting because they're not round. What can you tell your eager audience about the left side case and inner primary cover variations
          making them necessary?

Comment

• ExplodingCoffinEmporium
            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by farmall
            Good finds!

The bolt holes in the plate are interesting because they're not round. What can you tell your eager audience about the left side case and inner primary cover variations
            making them necessary?
            That is interesting, got my attention.

Comment

• rockman96
              • May 2018

What can you tell your eager audience about the left side case and inner primary cover variations making them necessary?
              Almost sounds like a Mfg snafu, except you wouldn't expect that with a cnc.

Comment

• Dragstews
                • Sep 2010

It's all about the manufactures not holding a standard in making parts ...

Made a call to the boys that made the motorplate ...
                They said that the hole was bored using the spec off of a bone stock Oem Harley motor case ..(Bolt-On deal for Oem cases)
                Our repo left side motor case may be bout .025" off from what Harley has for that dimension ..

Most likely that is the case (Pun intended) cause of in that area of the motor case nothing registers on the bearing support ..
                (Unless you are going aftermarket with a plate that does register on the sprocket shaft bearing support)

About the mounting holes machining ... That gives room for slight variations ...
                (Back to holding a Standard in machining)

Last edited by Dragstews; 10-07-2022, 1:15 PM.

Comment

• rockman96
                  • May 2018

Learn something everyday. So it *is* a snafu, but in engineering (of the cases)

Comment

• Dragstews
                    • Sep 2010

Comment

• farmall
                      • Apr 2013

So others may be having adventures getting shit to fit, which is par for the course and the main reason I caved and bought machine tools.

"One size fits all" with a fucking machine shop but too much metal is better than too little. One wonders if the aftermarket case was based on an oddball factory part.

Comment

• Dragstews
                        • Sep 2010

One wonders if the aftermarket case was based on an oddball factory part.
                        I called Knuckleworks about that ..
                        He said he used a Harley case for getting the dimension, but who's to say all Harley cases has the same dimension ??

Comment

• rockman96
                          • May 2018

In the days prior to CNC, it would be much more difficult to maintain precise tolerances like what we have today.

Comment

• farmall
                            • Apr 2013

Several thou is one thing but dimensions that large aren't ordinary casting mistakes.

Sand castings were highly refined by the 1930s let alone the Pan era so such large dimensional differences reflect choice by someone.

The proper way to reverse engineer (not the same as "copy") is measure multiple cases on a comparator. Scanning is readily available and has been for years.

HD castings (and motorcycle castings of that era in general, Vincent dramatically excepted) were crude and rather sloppy, one reason they used coarse pitch fins for lower scrap rates and easier alignment of cope and drag sides of the mold.

The pretty stuff went to aircraft engines and of course cost more. HD has always been obviously desperate to cut low-visibility corners.
                            Last edited by farmall; 10-09-2022, 6:06 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                              • Sep 2010

Comment

• seaking
                                • Jul 2013

Had a bit of a chuckle at the harley bashing, clearly someone didn't do their homework. HD is godlike in my eyes after seeing how right they got it in '36 and '65--in a die-- a panhead 65-69 inner primary has a lot of awesome machine/pattern tricks that you don't pick up on until you're neck deep in it.
                                CNC is a tool and someone didn't measure properly. I'd be most concerned with how tight the belt is. To get that plate to fit? I'd make a spacer for the motor. Then I'd mill the plate on the x-axis: the id fore/aft and the three motor mount holes fore/aft. That way you can move the trans back and get the proper tension (I 100% suspect that belt will not be anywhere tight enough, like 2in slack.)

Last edited by seaking; 10-11-2022, 11:39 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;