Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedcase
    • Oct 2009

Ironhead running like shit

Just got the IH towed home after a failed attempt to get a full-day round trip out of her.

Here's what's going on. Little history on the bike, 82 Ironhead, points, shorty S&S super E carb. Mileage 20K +, top end rebuild a while back from PO.

I had issues in the past with the carb pissing gas out the overfow. I took the carb apart and cleaned it several times figuring it was just the float getting stuck being I had a new tank put on the bike. I dropped a new inline fuel filter in and put it back together and all has been running fine. Had the carb tuned up and rejetted by local shop and put it away for the winter.

The bike has never been able to run/idle without the enrichment level pulled up almost mid-way. Rode it about 30miles out to a bike show, parked for about 2 hours and went to ride home and the new problems started up. I couldn't get smooth throttle response at all. The thing just wants to surge and chug along. I pulled off the road and took the plugs out and they were covered in carbon. Jet black and figured they might be fouled. We dropped some new plugs in and got the bike to start, but when you roll on the throttle, there's no smooth rev. This is my first non-efi bike so I'm looking for some places to start. I was thinking it could be a carb issue, since it seems odd that the bike won't run without the enrichment lever pulled up. Also considering points/coil as a possible culprit.

Any help is much appreciated. Here's a pic of the bike broke down:
    Last edited by hedcase; 05-21-2013, 7:20 PM. Reason: added photo
  • MegaDON666
    • Jul 2010

When it starts to run like shit out of nowhere and bad idle, I always switch out the points and condensor, and check the wiring.

Also, when its fully warmed up, have you tried to turn the choke off? I would think its fouling the plugs.

Comment

• cb550Matt
      • Jun 2011

The choke is only supposed to be on for like 20 seconds or so when cold .. is your jetting right?

Comment

• butcherchop2
        • Feb 2013

if you have to ride with the choke on you jetting is a way off or you have intake or valve guide leaks. so first off get some intake seals & the o-rings that go between the carb- spacer & intake, than go to the S&S web site & find the recomended jets & adjustments for a starting point & also check your auto advance unit behind the points

Comment

• xllance
          • Apr 2024

Float level ? Air / fuel screw adjusted correctly ? I hate to say it really, but are you running a carb brace ? How's your spark ? Is it a nice fat blue one or a faint yellow spark ? Is the coil getting hot ? Check the coil and wires for corrosion at the terminals.

Comment

• roush360r
            • Sep 2011

well if you gotta run with the enrichner up its pry cause its lean so you should start by checking for intake leaks and carb settings. but points and condensor are cheap, if you havent replaced them you might as well. i just ordered a spare set since mine burned up. it was 20$

Comment

• eroticjesus
              • Nov 2012

It has been my experience that easily 90% of issues with a running Ironhead are intake leaks.

Spray some WD40 at the intake, if the idle changes, or smoke blows you have a leak.
              Last edited by eroticjesus; 05-22-2013, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• hedcase
                • Oct 2009

Good shit guys, I'll order up some fresh gaskets/seals and run down the list. As well some new points/condenser.

The shop I had it into last summer supposedly jetted it properly for me, but it's never been able to keep running without that enrichment lever pulled up. It's an old dog and needs to be ran-through with some fresh essential parts. We'll see how that goes over the next couple weeks.

Comment

• brooklynbomber
                  • Sep 2011

you run it with the choke on all the time? I may not go back to that bike shop if that's "jetted correctly"

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

I may not go back to that bike shop if that's "jetted correctly"
                    I'd run away like Rosie O'Donnel was chasing me with a spiked strapon! x 10

Verify all jets are actually clear and of course eliminate any intake leaks by resealing.

Points and condenser are cheap at auto stores. I get 'em in pairs so I always have a spare handy without spending the gas money to go to the store.

Comment

• Arisaka
                      • May 2013

Almost certainly an intake leak if you have to run it with the choke on. Does the Super E have an adjustable main jet? The rough running sounds to me like you should probably reset the ignition timing and adjust pushrods just to rule them out. Easy jobs. Wonder if your fuel filter is one of those that is meant for a car with a fuel pump? It may not flow enough for the bike carb. Got clear fuel lines?

Comment

• hedcase
                        • Oct 2009

Yeah, I never had it out for a ride longer than a few miles until last weekend so I thought that after some riding I might be able to lower the enricher but no dice. I had them tune it up at the end of summer and then I put some stabil in there and let it sit all winter so it's taken until now to realize it's not tuned right.

Checked a few things- Spark is blue, no corrosion on coil or plug wires as they are brand new wires. I checked the gap on the points and it looked good. I'm gonna grab a new condenser + points and replace those just in case. Fired the bike back up and sprayed WD40 around the intake to try and get some reaction from the motor with no results. I'm going to replace the intake seals anyway to rule that out. The fuel filter is a new EMGO. I'll also check the flow from the petcock just to be safe.

Will reset the timing next once I get the new points and condenser installed.

I know fuck-all about carbs so I'm reading up on some information before I check the jets out. I've been avoiding tearing into this bike for a while being that I have an EFI bike that I ride most often. Being broke down on the side of the road just reaffirmed for me that like any toy, you ought to know it inside and out if you're going to use it.

Thanks again for the ideas guys

Comment

• alexfuckingp
                          • Jan 2012

Do the basics before you go tearing the whole thing down and miss the riding season.

Had a similar problem with my 66 sporty two days ago. I know i have an intake leak so o rings are in the bill. But adjusted the pushrods on mine, front cylinder intake had vertical movement of 0.050 definitely no good. helped a bit but still ran like shit. Found out my problem was my pipes (had just modified them). Couldn't see your pipes from your pic but if they are shotguns think about this. Ironheads absolutely LOVE backpressure, mine ran like complete shit after i cut off the old mufflers and replaced them with longer pipes. However even with more length and bends there still wasn't enough back pressure, bike chugged along in the low to mid range didn't even want to get into high. Welded some washers to bolts, a hole in each pipe and baffles worked like a charm, screams like a raped ape now.

Also keep in mind the ambient air temperature and humidity have a lot to due with carb tuning. The bikes performance will change throughout the year.

Comment

• Motorradfahrer
                            • Aug 2009

Do you have two fuel filters on your bike? Some guys run the internal/pet-cock filter in the tank and an external fuel filter on the line leading to the carb. If so, get rid of the external fuel filter; it's redundant.

You should be able to adjust your accelerator pump to get your throttle to get better response when you open it up.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Comment

• Arisaka
                              • May 2013

I'm not too familiar with S&S carbs, but you know, another thing that may be going on: If at some point you open up the carb, the main discharge tube (main jet screws into the bottom) may have a rubber O-ring around the tip (Bendix carbs do, so do many others). If this O-ring is chewed up it will wreak all kinds of shit. I've had it happen on Ironheads, generators, weedwackers, etc. I had a Coleman generator with the same symptom, would only run (like shit) with the choke on. That O-ring was the culprit. It can't suck fuel reliably with the ripped O-ring, so you need to run the choke to cut some air out. Then the thing basically erratically dumps gas into your intake. I hope this is your problem. I'm really starting to think that this is not an ignition problem, those O-rings rip upon installation pretty commonly especially if the person trying to shove the bowl on isn't careful. Here's a link to a diagram, part number 28 is what I'm talking about: http://www.motorcyclepartsareus.com/...0267_img_3.jpg

Eta: I may be on crack, I don't know if this carb runs an O-ring.... Can't see one in the diagram
                              Last edited by Arisaka; 05-22-2013, 5:23 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;